Need some advice

General

8 members have voted

1. 1. which proc/idea

• AMD Phenom II x6 1100t thuban 3.3ghz, 3.6ghz turbo w/ a better mobo than the intel i think
    • intel i5 2500k with a slightly worse mobo, i think
    • wait for the new amd proc that comes in a month or two that will replace the thuban cores

i saw that on the other thread LA ^^ it might be out of my pricerange.

i would not have enough to grab a 2nd 450gts with this price : /

and, is this case cool enough to support the 2500k without making it overheat?

thanks medic for the comparison!

ok...

do i need a mobo that claims to be sli ready to use 2 vid cards, or does it just need enough space to fit two? because most core2quad mobo are nto claimed to be sli ready

Edited by General

• 2 weeks later...

well, my thoughts have changed a lot...

But i am now in the stage of wating for my dad to tell me what i CAN/am allowed to do

-____________________-

Why get an AMD 8core, which prob wont be that great, when games arent optimized for dual and quad core yet?

Why get an AMD 8core, which prob wont be that great, when games arent optimized for dual and quad core yet?

yeah, but same goes for Intel

and ofcourse Intel will stil own AMD ^^

@SLI-story.

To be approved for SLI, you need to buy a licence (from Nvidia, obviously). For Crossfire this isn't required, so it is 'just a few' settings in the chipset that will do. I believe that in the past there were some manufacturers that had therefore two versions, actually one but one with an SLI-enabled BIOS and one without; flashing the SLI-enabled BIOS was not guaranteed to be working, but generally it did.

@AMD/Intel/waiting/-story.

Intel is faster, but AMD has more cores. If you use hard multi-thread jobs, take the AMD (better in price), however the turbo-boost of Intel is quite useful for non-multi-thread jobs.

Why it hasn't been ported? Because now developers start to see that it won't be faster in GHz (not a lot at least), but many cores. By the time of the AMD Athlon X2 and Intel HT for example, game developers ignored the multi-threading behaviour. And if you consider the time to develop a game, combined with the ignorance, it's only now starting to get optimized to dual or quad core. Once they see that 'supply and demand' offers them rather a 16core than a uberfast 2core, they will optimize it. And currently they are doing it, but only 'for the number of cores currently available' (4 or so), instead of making it scalable for anything between 2 and 262144 cores (or something).