Network Cards

UT_ski_bum

Should Everyone have a Networking Card?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should Everyone have a Networking Card?

So I have played with the idea of buying a Networking card such as This one.

I've read the reviews and they all seem to lead to the direction of "Yes." Does anyone here use one? If so do you notice any improvements?

I have Xfinity from Comcast and From Salt Lake City to Chicago I have a ping of 66ms. Download of 7Mbps and an Upload of 4Mbps. That's about 1200 miles.

From SLC to Orem, UT, about 60 miles I have a similar ping and a Down of 8.8 an Up of 4.

My Mobo is a P5ND.

My CPU is an E8500 @3.16Ghz

Side note. I run a 29 inch monitor off a GTX 275. Occasionally I'll run it in SLI mode with a second 275. But mainly the second is doing physics will my two 19s are inactive.

There's nothing that you will gain besides the connection limit allowed by your card but even the integrated ones support 100mbps dl/upload as max. in other words don't listen to them there's no such an improvement on getting an independent Network Card.

Edited by Cr!TicaL

I hope you don't have an usb network card, that might affect your performance. If you're on wireless, that might affect your performance. But generally, a different network card will not affect the ping by much more than 2ms (assuming you already have installed the drivers...).

I would say, spend your money on different things :)

Ps 120/10 here :P

1426040522.png

And that's not totally true, I can get up to 11.5MB/s on torrents, but the speedtest can't handle that :P

Shame the server is on the wrong side of the ocean, I get a ping of 150 on CoD4 HC...

Use the one built into your motherboard. The Killer NIC gets mixed reviews. Pretty much come to it may be slightly better, but can also cause problems and should only be purchased as a trial piece of hardware.

My 2 cents, but I think the only positive review I've seen for Killer NIC's was a recent one regarding their wifi cards. For the price you'd pay to get that card, I doubt you'll see much in the way of performance difference. Since your using Comcast I'm guessing your problems are more likely either related to the ISP using a shared access network (In other words everyone on your block shares the same broadband line and your throttled at different rates) or perhaps it's something wrong with your modem/router or internal NIC.