PreyProject

daredevil

• Administrators

Prey lets you keep track of your phone or laptop at all times, and will help you find it if it ever gets lost or stolen. It's lightweight, open source software, and free for anyone to use. And it just works.

How it works:

Basically you install a tiny agent in your PC or phone, which silently waits for a remote signal to wake up and work its magic.

This signal is sent either from the Internet or through an SMS message, and allows you to gather information regarding the device's location, hardware and network status, and optionally trigger specific actions on it.

http://preyproject.com/

California police recovered a stolen laptop after a software program sent its owner the suspect's location and photograph taken on the Mac's camera.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13624265

I love and hate the idea of these things..

I have a LoJack anti-hijack positioning device installed in my laptop but I never enabled it (plus, they want you to pay for annual subscription), because I don't really like the idea of anyone being able to track ME.. But with opensource, I might actually be tempted to install it, and just enable/disable it when I do/dont need it ^_^