Backup before formatting hard drive

Yama310

Hi everyone,

I have to format/erase my hdd (my hard drives are no longer recognized by my softwares, and only half by Windows), so I want to know which files I have to copy on my other partition to keep my game' profile, my XP, etc.

I'll copy my (little) personal cfg files, and I read that I have to keep the etkey file too. Is there another file(s) or folder(s) to backup ?

Thank you in advance for your answers. :thanks

na not really but look at this thread anyway

http://www.fearless-assassins.coms/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1877

It's a good idea to keep copies of your etkey file, your etconfig file, and your pk3s on some other hard drive or in an email or on a flashdrive. Losing these files is like losing your identity.

Keeping your etconfig file prevents you from having to reconfigure everything when you reinstall the game. If you play jaymod mostly I suggest you make a backup copy of the jaymod/profiles/yourname/etconfig.cfg file. This is the one that will have the settings you are using when you are playing on the jaymod server. All your graphics settings, your movement settings, user ID, etc are in this one file. You may want to copy the entire "jaymod" folder from your last good install, and just replace it in the C:Program Files/Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory folder the next time you need it, since you won't even have a "jaymod" folder when you install ET from scratch.

pk3s are maps. Keeping your pk3 files prevents you from having to re-download the maps from the server and get kicked off when each map starts while you are acking. Put them in your etmain folder when you reinstall ET.

Just my thoughts. Hope this helps.

pk3 maps + etkey is all you will need ^^

on Windows xp + vista

C:Program FilesWolfenstein - Enemy Territoryetmain

etkey sometimes on vista is here :

C:UsersAppDataLocalPunkBusterETetmain

but if you wanna save the config you playing with ... then save profiles folders (one in jaymod and one in etmain)

• Administrators

I suggest to take whole back up of ET Wolfenstein folder with etkey so no new installation and no downloading maps again.

I have my same installation since 2006 after tons of format. :) Just copy paste folder and update your PB using the links (sticky) posed in help section.

ok guys, Thanks.

Medic, tu es de quel coin de France (c'est juste de la curiosité) ? (in english : From where are your in France ?)

Cergy (95) et je travail à Paris :D

(in English ask Rainier, help him practice more) :D

I suggest to take whole back up of ET Wolfenstein folder with etkey so no new installation and no downloading maps again.

I have my same installation since 2006 after tons of format. :) Just copy paste folder and update your PB using the links (sticky) posed in help section.

Ok, but I would be obliged to redo an installation for the shortcuts in the Start Menu (and maybe in the Users folder), no ?

@ Medic : ah ok. Je suis près de Versailles (78).

• Administrators

Yes you will need to again make shortcuts or you can use shortcuts like I use.

shortcuts.jpg

Click on the shortcut and u can directly join the server.

• Administrators
LOOOOOOOOOL hell ooo ^^

interesting shortcut ... NQ-FA hehe someone try it and hated and never delete it but still in mind :lol:

LOL yes i tried it on local machine... bad experience and removed it :D I still hate NQ but I love their guns and few other things..

• Administrators
Another question : as I formatted, I'll install Seven. Are there any compatibility issues with this OS ?

Possible PB issues. For some people it runs well and for some it doesn't. It has tons of drivers issues atm. I suggest not to install seven as a single OS or install it in dual boot with vista+sp2.

About drivers, it seem good. I test with this software (from Microsoft - so, no guarantee for result) : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

About PB issues, what kind of issues ? I mean, issues I'll see immediately or not ? Because, I can try tomorrow, and if I have some troubles, "format c:" again, and new installation of Vista. I don't want to have dual-boot (unless Seven will be very very good than Vista :D).

• Administrators

Some people get this error:

"RESTRICTION: Windows Unkown API [131131]"

and some other errors. Try it and test it out.

EB doesn't support beta or RC software/OS.

Edit: I tested seven. I feel it would be more good then vista in long run.