computer science experience

krAzy :)

didnt really know where to put it, so i just added it here, where the real computer geniuses are

i thought about taking a new path of my life: study computer science at university

i finished science high school and right now im studying economics and management, put im not really sure if its the 'right' way to choose

i just want to know some/ANY useful information if anyone of u studied computer science or has any type of work related to that

my subjects would be:

1.year: algebra and geometry; algorithm; basic math; physics; basic programming; english

2.year: numeric calculation; basic computer science; different types of coding; operating systems

3.year: software engineering; logic;

there are some other subjects i dont really know how to translate and other subjects u can personally choose (but didnt found them on university website)

first question which comes to my mind: why so much math?

any information about work experience (is it boring? good pay? difficult to find work? what u have to do? . . .

difficult to study? (yes, i also think thats a stupid question, if u like a subject u 'enjoy' studying it)

thx in advance :lol:

The focus on math might be tied to the fact that you need a strong base in logic for most programming. A lot of math problems require a logical approach. I'm going for a degree in computer engineering, so there would be some differences from a computer science curriculum. But for example, this semester I am taking Discrete Mathematics which is basically nothing but logic and is filled with computer science students.

I think I can get away with saying computers "think" in "math", and so you have to be able to as well. :)

My advice would definitely be to study what you are interested in, but don't make the mistake of thinking that doing so will reduce the work load. I can say I didn't find myself in an actually interesting course untill after at least 3 semesters, and even interesting subject matter requires work to learn.

I say go for it, but as with anything be prepared to put in a lot of work.

The focus on math might be tied to the fact that you need a strong base in logic for most programming. A lot of math problems require a logical approach. I'm going for a degree in computer engineering, so there would be some differences from a computer science curriculum. But for example, this semester I am taking Discrete Mathematics which is basically nothing but logic and is filled with computer science students.

I think I can get away with saying computers "think" in "math", and so you have to be able to as well. :)

My advice would definitely be to study what you are interested in, but don't make the mistake of thinking that doing so will reduce the work load. I can say I didn't find myself in an actually interesting course untill after at least 3 semesters, and even interesting subject matter requires work to learn.

I say go for it, but as with anything be prepared to put in a lot of work.

i acutally know fo sure it will be harder....right now i just have 3 days week and not even full day of lessons

first year will be pretty hard and boring coz there is much math...but after that it should get really interesting

thx for reply :P

Yea definitely math. I had a friend who went into computer programming and he ended up having to take a couple extra math classes.

and I would agree with MilkTea, just cause your interested in it, won't mean that everything is gonna be easy going.

I'm studying Aeronautical Engineering and it is soooo hard, even though I love it... well most of it at least :P.

On my college (Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing) we all have to listen to math subjects. At first glance math doesn't have anything to do with computing, but it's quite the opposite: with math you can make models of problems that you have to solve, and without math computing would be impossible, especially in science. It will probably a pain sometimes, but it's nothing impossible to learn. Both departments covered basic calculus, differential equations, Fourier and Laplace transformations, while later Computing department focused more on probability and combinatoric parts of math (opposed to multiple integrals and vector analysis), tho there's a subject that we all have to listen and covers that part too. As far as the subjects goes there is Programming and programming engineering, Algorithms and data structures, Operational systems, Databases, Introduction to theory of computing, Translation of programming languages, Interactive computer graphics, Artificial intelligence, Scripting languages and more (to get the idea, see here for full list).

I'd say it's a good field. Out of bunch of us that came from high school together to college, only 3 of us out of 10 chose Electrical engineering, the rest went for Computing <_<

Not every math is required in the same level for all directions within computing science. For example, integrating and differentiating is not really required for database modeling, but it is very useful in, among others, simulation. On the other hand, basic geometric operations (& proving) can be very useful if you start working on geometric algorithms, e.g. 2d/3d development.

Further more, math is a screening process. The way you think with math is comparable with the way you think in logic. If you fail math a lot, you'll probably have a hard time in logic too. But logic gives ways to implement some things faster. For example, with if you need to count 1+2+3+4+...+n, you can simply add a lot of numbers but this is quite slow. With logic, you can prove that this is equal to n(n+1)/2 (although you can also simply reason it, but proving is better). This way of proving can be done in many ways (sorting algorithms is a default), and it is very interesting (imho) and very useful. You don't need to be able to integrate things, but you need to learn a new way of solving problems, comparable to the first time you started to integrate formula's. If you can do it, it's easy. If not, it's hard. Without math, it's hard.

In my opinion, you don't have that much math actually. Basic math is, well, basic. I expect it to be a continuation or short repeat of your secondary education. Numeric calculation doesn't ring a bell to me, but I think it's an advance course of basic math. Algebra is logic I think, geometry is a more mathematical related logic. Algorithms is designing algorithms, for which you need to understand a lot of logic. Physics and English are, well, normal. Although I don't like English & Physics. Programming courses are required obviously, designing an algorithm is not the same as writing code, operating systems are also simply "required". Software engineering is programming on larger scale, in basic programming you learn to use for/while/if, in software engineering you probably learn to classes, inheritance and others.

Yes, in all courses you need math, but actually just the logic of the math. Because logic is all you have in computer science. I suggest you look more into detail in the subjects of the course, because if you don't like math, there's a good chance you don't like logic either. Or are there just some subjects in math you don't like? Like, statistics. I don't like statistics. Luckily enough, it's not really required. Until you start researching and benchmarking, where it starts to be useful again. And boring. :/

About work experience; well, I'm still a student :P I'm currently at the University of Technology to do my master Computer Science and Engineering (expected total of 2 years, and is actually Computer Science given at a technical university), and I went to the University of Applied Science, (Dutch: HBO) to get my Bachelor (4 years, but I got it somehow faster) also in Computer Science and Engineering. I have some internship experience with my previous education; it is quite easy to find a job if you're capable of more than being a nerd. If you can talk, you can get a job easily. However, my previous education was pretty much without math for example, not really comparable.

The same for the time to study, previous education was 25~30 hours a week, 50 a week before a project deadline at most. Nowadays, I'm happy if I don't have to spend 40 hours a week. On the other hand, I know it's hard but I know I like it. I like a free day, but after 2 hours solving an interesting exercise, I'm happy too :)

Note:

This is in the Netherlands, in Italy it can be very different. For example, you stated 3 years. In the Netherlands, we don't have an education of 3 years, other than the first 3 years of a bachelor at the university, where you are basically obliged to do a master otherwise your graduation isn't that much worth.

right now im also doing much math:

1. year : general mathematics (basic); statistic;

2. year : financial mathematics; accounting system

3. year : [depends which main subject u choose: management, marketing, financial, company buissniness]

im not really good in math, but if its , like u said, more logical based, then it shouldnt be much of a problem

/close math discussion :P

i also want to know about other subjects like programming, coding, computer engineering and others....

working prospective in future

BIG thx for replies, i appreciate every little alphabetic character and every smile u write

these are very useful information for me, for my future and for my live...so .. :thanks

I studied 'programming and web design' and was great, if you love it you get it. Of curse is a hard career. Maths is programs base, but also the logic(if, also, while, triggers...etc), but also matter what kind of programming you want study.

I studied 'programming and web design' and was great, if you love it you get it. Of curse is a hard career. Maths is programs base, but also the logic(if, also, while, triggers...etc), but also matter what kind of programming you want study.

what i understood from university website: first year is same from everyone

then in the second year u have to decide if u want to do a 'general curriculum' or 'application curriculum'

subject differences:

general: 2. year statistic and probability; algorithm and information structure

3. year: logic; semantic of programmation language

applicated informatic has instead: 2. year: chemistry; numeric simulation

3. year: informative system; another subject u can choose from

BUT: u think just because i like/love doing stuff of every kind on my pc means i should study it?

BUT: u think just because i like/love doing stuff of every kind on my pc means i should study it?

Although that can be true, it's not that simple. To quote Edsger W. Dijkstra: "computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."

Although he had a strong opinion in many things, he's not far from the truth here. You don't do math on a computer, you don't do logic on a computer and especially, you don't prove things (algebraically) on a computer. There are two things I do on the computer, writing documents and testing programs. The writing of the programs is insignificant. Although that is, obviously, depending on to which kind of University you go. An university of applied science is a lot different from an University of Technology.