Hockey: How no one has died yet.

FiveMagic

I still can't believe after so many dirty hits that no one has died yet, this being the lastest and more disturbing one from Chara.

Let me know what you guys think should happen in the future regarding this issue.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/03/09/17556871.html

"OTTAWA - MPs are warning the National Hockey League if officials won't take escalating violence on the ice seriously, they might take matters into their own hands.

MPs, like many Canadian hockey fans, were shocked Wednesday when the NHL took no action against the Boston Bruins or defenceman Zdeno Chara after a vicious hit on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty.

Pacioretty's career may be finished after he suffered a concussion and fractured vertebra in the hit late in the second period of a game in Montreal Tuesday night.

"I simply don't understand what the NHL is thinking here," Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff told reporters after the NHL made its decision. "It's up to the National Hockey League to protect its players. It's up to the National Hockey League to protect all the young kids playing the game. It's up to the National Hockey League to act and I can tell you, there is strong feeling in the House of Commons that if they don't act, then, you know, we should get involved. No politician wants to get involved in this, it's not our business. But as a citizens, as a fan, I think it's outrageous."

The Chara hit came up during daily Question Period in the House of Commons minutes before the NHL released its decision.

NDP MP Glenn Thibeault, who has been pushing new legislation to reduce concussions and other serious injuries in amateur sports, told the House the Chara hit was more evidence new rules are needed.

Minister of State for Sport Gary Lunn said the government had been consulting with national sporting organizations on the issue.

"It is something that we hope that the NHL also takes very seriously. This type of hitting is unacceptable," Lunn said. "We would do everything to ensure that NHL does not allow this kind of action to continue."

its simple... 1,3 or 5 game suspension. PLUS!!!! here is the kicker... you are gone for 1-5 games PLUS as long as damaged player is out... so if you want to risk it and take someone out for the season... you are gone for season plus 5 days.

It isnt murderball Players have LOST the sportsmanship in the game.

anywhere else it is ASSAULT. why do we put up with it?

suspension for as long as injured player is out PLUS 1-5 games.

I am sure I wont hit anyone hard enough to kill them

Wow :| hadn't seen that hit until now. Its even worse watching leagues such as peewee etc. where hitting is being introduced and seeing how parents encourage their children to take the dirty hit/hook/spear/fight/etc. Its ridiculous what some parents will encourage their kids to do for hockey.

IT really wasn't that dirty of a hit. ugly? yes. dirty, not so much. it really sucks someone got hurt, but a similar hit happened in the Pens/Sabres game last night. Only the player was lucky and hit his shoulder blade on the divider, not his neck.

IT really wasn't that dirty of a hit. ugly? yes. dirty, not so much. it really sucks someone got hurt, but a similar hit happened in the Pens/Sabres game last night. Only the player was lucky and hit his shoulder blade on the divider, not his neck.

Eh, if you look at the close up at 1:06 the puck was no where near the two of them and to me it was 100% intentional.

I agree, the puck was out of play for them, HOWEVER...lets say he doesn't get hurt. Lets just say it was a hit along the normal boards. No one would have a problem with it or call it dirty, they'd say it was a player just finishing his check. I understand someone did get hurt, but before you start calling for Chara's blood, you better be willing to have most every player that hits get flagged as well. If you're this up in arms about it, why weren't you when Cooke hit Savard, or Stekl hit Crosby, or Ovechkin hit Cambell? And those are the ones that just come to me off the top of my head.

Yes the NHL does need to do something about the head shots in general. Savard hasn't been the same since Cooke lit him up, and Crosby's status is still unknown. I don't care if you like Crosby or not, he's a huge ticket draw and one of the faces of the league. And he hasn't played in 21(i think) games, what happens if he's out the rest of the year. Or never comes back to his former playing self? He was on track for 50 in 50 this year...

If you're this up in arms about it, why weren't you when Cooke hit Savard, or Stekl hit Crosby, or Ovechkin hit Cambell?

I never thought about posting it on the forums at the time "but i did rage on youtube lol", i am not saying he's not allowed to follow through on his check but comon, Chara used his arm and pushed his head in that position and that "Bing!" you hear from Pacioretty's head is just disgusting.

Also it was not till Pacioretty got rid of the puck that Chara went in to"check" him, even the announcer said it was late.

this is the problem... you are trying to have the refs make a judgment call...

if Player A injures player B player A is out for same amount of time as injured player PLUS 1-5 games.

Will hitting stop... NO

Will trying to injure opponent stop... it will definitely slow down...

Now.... If I take out your star player... I get sweet F all for a penalty... but with my way... If I short your team a player for 20 days... my team suffers for 20 Plus days

or remove all pads and get rid of boards. hit me now beotch