• Snowboarding
    • Skiing
    • Other
    • Nothing

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

skiing all the way. Never even heard of a snow board when I started skiing. Of course many sloops had rope tows too.

You likely weren't on the east coast then. They were having competitions in the mid 80's at places like Stratton.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always done skiing, never tried snowboard, I got hit one time by a snowboarder (a snowboardfag as Joe Dirt would say) that was racing down the mountain without caring about other people, then he tried to blame me , I still have a huge scar on my elbow, since then I hated snowboarders so I never tried it :D

It's been a while since I've skied too, time to start again!

I ski, but would love to learn how to snowboard better. Right now, my arse gets too sore when I snowboard, so I always go back to my old standby - the 'ol planks. However, if next year is even close to the record snowfall received at the local ski resorts where I go, I'll have plenty of time to do both. Ahhh yeahhhh!

It's all about just having a good time either way. As long as your sliding and enjoying it then go for it. After watching the skiiers in powder this past season, I was glad to have my big board on the slope so I could just glide on by.

@AJB77: Your not a west coaster are you? I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to clear out the mountains around here in time for the Mtn biking season to start in mid June. Looks like I'll be drilling screws through my tires until it's melted.

• 2 months later...

Skiing all the way. I moved from Indiana to Utah for the sole purpose of skiing. I've never tried boarding and don't intend to because a minute off my skis is a minute wasted.

I DON'T have a problem with boards though, I can see the pros and cons of each.

I'm personally a bit of a skiing fanatic. With skis for different conditions. A pair for ripping the groomers and a pair of powder skis. My powder skis double as a pair of Alpine Touring skis for when I feel the need to hike uphill instead of using the lifts. You gotta earn your turns sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/skiwithkyler

• 3 weeks later...

You likely weren't on the east coast then. They were having competitions in the mid 80's at places like Stratton.

80s? I go back further than that my friend. Some one who lost a ski and was trying to stay up on the other is as close to snowboarding as we had. And yes it was Lake Placid where I did most of my skiing. Thats pretty east coast.

80s? I go back further than that my friend. Some one who lost a ski and was trying to stay up on the other is as close to snowboarding as we had. And yes it was Lake Placid where I did most of my skiing. Thats pretty east coast.

Ah, I did some digging b/c I remember chatting with guys in the late 80s about riding in the early 70's and couldn't believe it. Turns out snowboarding more or less as it is now has been around since the mid 60's as the Snurfer. I know Sims and Burton were selling boards in the 70's but sanctioned competitions didn't get started until the mid 80's.

Turns out the snowboard was invented in Muskegon, MI. So while you guys were riding around with bad ski bindings there were little rippers down the road starting to shred on Snurfers.

I only started riding in 89/90 and have been around the industry a bit. Still prefer it to skiing by a long shot but am seriously looking into purchasing a split board here soon to access the backcountry around Lake Tahoe.

i have never done either of these things and i'd probably break a leg trying lol

I only broke my leg when I started to get good. You'll be fine. If your prone to knee injuries then wear a brace or neoprene knee pads like volleyball players wear.

If your snowboarding for the first time...wrist braces are highly recommended.