Nintendo 3DS

ZeeKoh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhitIpY-jw

I think I'm going to be dropping the whopping $250 to pre-order/buy one of these. Personally I can't wait until next month when it comes out. It's no longer the same DS. This is like an upgrade from an N64 to a GameCube.. or GameCube to Wii. It's an entirely new system. Is anybody else anticipating this release? What are your thoughts on it?

(Correct me if i'm wrong) Didn't Nintendo say you should only use the 3D effects for 30 minutes at a time? Dunno if it was eye damage or dizzyness?

I haven't really heard anything about that. I could probably see that on some scale for certain people though. Most probably not eye damage. The system is designed with kids in mind so you know they wouldn't allow it to be released if it would mess with a kid's eyesight that easily. I'm sure it could induce headaches and dizziness in certain situations.

Looks interesting. Im gonna buy it maybe later on this year when theres better games out.. lol like 50% of games will be remakes..

Yeah. Most of the games will just be rehashed DS titles and N64/GC titles probably. We can probably count on a "new" Mario coming out too. xD

It didn't even mention the web browser or any of the other Operating System features in that video either. I heard rumors that there will be an instant messenging system of some kind too.

Found it :P Nvm i guess?

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1142304p1.html

"Nintendo released a statement warning parents that children ages six or younger should only use 2D mode when playing the upcoming handheld. According to Nintendo's statement (which is located here and translated by the Wall Street Journal), use of artificial 3D can possibly affect the development of healthy eyes.

Nintendo didn't stop there. The gaming giant also stressed that adults shouldn't play in 3D mode for more than 30 minutes at a stretch. The warnings are not blanket reasons to avoid the 3DS altogether, but these are aggressive statements against what's supposed to be the central feature of the 3DS. "

Found it :P Nvm i guess?

http://ds.ign.com/ar.../1142304p1.html

"Nintendo released a statement warning parents that children ages six or younger should only use 2D mode when playing the upcoming handheld. According to Nintendo's statement (which is located here and translated by the Wall Street Journal), use of artificial 3D can possibly affect the development of healthy eyes.

Nintendo didn't stop there. The gaming giant also stressed that adults shouldn't play in 3D mode for more than 30 minutes at a stretch. The warnings are not blanket reasons to avoid the 3DS altogether, but these are aggressive statements against what's supposed to be the central feature of the 3DS. "

That's interesting. Although, I'm sure that it can't be any worse than having a pair of those 3D glasses over your eyes for 2 hours to watch those 3D movies. They even have those "3D" TV's now and you still have to wear a set of those glasses. lol

I think Nintendo's just covering it's bases. They had warnings on the GameCube and Playstation and X-Box about playing them for too long as well. I believe there's a warning for the DS about the chance of developing bad eyesight from extended use too.

Waste of money.

Please explain why? You have a web browser, full backwards compatibility to the DS/i, a camera capable of taking and displaying sharp photos in 2D or 3D, a media player capable of playing music OR watching movies or shows. There are a ton of other little features as well. That's all excluding the fact that you can buy a card to just download games onto. So $250 for the 3DS seems reasonable to me. Especially considering that I won't be paying for most of the games. $250 for thousands of hours of entertainment from the games, for a 3D camera and a portable web browser with a media player, that alone is worth $250. Hell, if you bought a 3D camera at a store or somewhere, I bet it would be every bit of $200. At the least.

That's interesting. Although, I'm sure that it can't be any worse than having a pair of those 3D glasses over your eyes for 2 hours to watch those 3D movies. They even have those "3D" TV's now and you still have to wear a set of those glasses. lol

I think Nintendo's just covering it's bases. They had warnings on the GameCube and Playstation and X-Box about playing them for too long as well. I believe there's a warning for the DS about the chance of developing bad eyesight from extended use too.

There have been studies on the effects of 3D and your vision out for quite some time. It's supposedly part of the reason Sega never brought its VR headset to market. 3D TVs/Movies, etc create something called binocular dysphoria. Here's a pretty clean cut quote about how and why it affects your vision

Your brain has about 10 different cues which it can use to detect depth. When you are in the theater you are only getting one clue, which is parallax. So what happens is that while you are in the theater your brain is ignoring all the other depth cues – throwing the other nine away and training on just the one. This creates a situation that is known, technically, as binocular dysphoria. Now what happens is when you leave the theater, your depth perception will be screwed up. It will snap back to normal… but it takes different times for different people.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject already, and have decided I'll probably never own a 3D TV until more recent studies are done. Plus the thought of running around cross eyed and tripping on shit doesn't bode well for my outdoors hobbies.

Heres a link to a good article I've found on the subject. It also has links to other articles I've already read.

With what you're saying, it only has a smaller upperfooting than the DSI. Which I have. So i'm not spending 250$ for another DSI.

Are you kidding? They've upgraded the hardware of the entire system. A DSi doesn't have enough processing power to even run SNES games. It BARELY has enough RAM to support the use of the online store or web browser. Maybe you also didn't notice that this is an entirely new system? It's not just an upgrade like from a DS to a DSi or DSi to DSi XL. This is an entirely brand new handheld gaming device that HAPPENS to play DS games as well. It's like going from PS1 to PS2. D:

The DS library will likely start coming to a close in the next year or two. The 3DS has been chosen to replace the DS, it is not an upgrade from it. 3DS titles will not work on your DSi like DSi titles work on DS/Lite's.

EDIT - Speaking of the DSi not being able to play SNES ROMs, theoretically.. if all goes well, if you get a card like the AK2i for the 3DS, we may be able to play SNES ROMs on it. Maybe if the emulators put on the card could put some kind of in-game overlay on the touch screen for the missing buttons.. it might be able to play N64 and even GameCube ROMs.

There have been studies on the effects of 3D and your vision out for quite some time. It's supposedly part of the reason Sega never brought its VR headset to market. 3D TVs/Movies, etc create something called binocular dysphoria. Here's a pretty clean cut quote about how and why it affects your vision

I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject already, and have decided I'll probably never own a 3D TV until more recent studies are done. Plus the thought of running around cross eyed and tripping on shit doesn't bode well for my outdoors hobbies.

Heres a link to a good article I've found on the subject. It also has links to other articles I've already read.

Thanks for the link! :D

I do understand that 3D effects vision though. With those glasses anyways. They're right up on your face and everything has a different color for both eyes. I'm not too certain about those 3D TV's though. I saw a pair of glasses once and both lenses were a yellowish brown. I'm not quite sure how those work.

The 3DS will only be "3D" on the top screen at least. It's also relatively small compared to say... watching a TV or one of those movies they play in 3D at the theaters. It probably will have way less of an effect on depth perception since it will only be a small portion of your vision that is "3D". I'm not entirely sure what it will look like, but Nintendo has promised that the use of 3D on the 3DS doesn't require the use of 3D glasses. Plus you can always just turn the 3D off and play it in 2D too. :P

That probably won't happen for at least 3 years. The world could end by then!

Thats right, DS and WII are still almost same price as they were when they came out, especially DS. They dont drop their prizes like Sony or Microsoft, only exception i can remember was with Gamecube. 3DS games that ill be looking forward are Dragon Quest- and Shin Megami Tensei series, maybe Zelda and MGS3 remakes are worth to try too but Final Fantasy ill pass, since last ones were waste of time.

Thats right, DS and WII are still almost same price as they were when they came out, especially DS. They dont drop their prizes like Sony or Microsoft, only exception i can remember was with Gamecube. 3DS games that ill be looking forward are Dragon Quest- and Shin Megami Tensei series, maybe Zelda and MGS3 remakes are worth to try too but Final Fantasy ill pass, since last ones were waste of time.

I completely agree that the FF remakes weren't all that great. Some of the DS FF titles were pretty okay though. Probably the best one would have been either Tactics Advanced 2 or The Four Heroes of Light. Tactics was the first game I played through and beat on my DS, so I'll always have fond memories of it. I loved all of the random (some 30?) classes in The Four Heroes to choose from as well. The story was kind of intriguing, and the graphics had sort of a sketchbook-drawing look to them that made the game feel really cool and unique.

I'm still in the process of playing DQIX. I find it hard to get myself to play it because there is so much to do. The 3DS release will be even more amazing I hope! I still need to play through the rest of Shin Megami Tensei - Strange Journey too. That game is very interesting! :o

I'm pretty much looking forward to those same games. In particular Zelda and MGS3! I've always been a huge FF fan, so I'm a sucker for any FF games they release. Especially if they aren't remakes. I haven't heard any word yet... but I'm really hoping for some new Megaman games too. Oh! AND the Resident Evil games! There's a bunch of fighting games... Super Street Fighter 4... Dead or Alive.. There are a lot of awesome games being released at launch or around it.

I think it's kind of funny that they can't actually fully show and market their product because you can only see the "3D" aspect on the DS top screen itself. Even if you record it... >.>

Check these videos out. Apparently there are a LOT of N64/GC and PS1/PS2 titles with updated 3D graphics. They look pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwhntDyPQxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLJPYC2jUY&feature=relmfu

^^^I love the ending to this. lol