Nintendo 3DS

ZeeKoh

I completely agree that the FF remakes weren't all that great. Some of the DS FF titles were pretty okay though. Probably the best one would have been either Tactics Advanced 2 or The Four Heroes of Light. Tactics was the first game I played through and beat on my DS, so I'll always have fond memories of it. I loved all of the random (some 30?) classes in The Four Heroes to choose from as well. The story was kind of intriguing, and the graphics had sort of a sketchbook-drawing look to them that made the game feel really cool and unique.

I'm still in the process of playing DQIX. I find it hard to get myself to play it because there is so much to do. The 3DS release will be even more amazing I hope! I still need to play through the rest of Shin Megami Tensei - Strange Journey too. That game is very interesting! :o

FF IV remake was fine, but there was way too much random battle.. Like every second step comes some behemoth and battle took looong time with no escape.

DQIX i have played throught and its in top3 DS games in my opinion, DQV was great too and DQIV ok.

SMT strange journey, beated that too and yes, it was interesting game with odd atmosphere. Even more i liked SMT Devil Survivor from which theres coming remake for 3DS..

Too bad i heard 3DS will be region locked and neither of those SMT games came to europe, so that would be expected from new 3DS SMT titles too..

FF IV remake was fine, but there was way too much random battle.. Like every second step comes some behemoth and battle took looong time with no escape.

DQIX i have played throught and its in top3 DS games in my opinion, DQV was great too and DQIV ok.

SMT strange journey, beated that too and yes, it was interesting game with odd atmosphere. Even more i liked SMT Devil Survivor from which theres coming remake for 3DS..

Too bad i heard 3DS will be region locked and neither of those SMT games came to europe, so that would be expected from new 3DS SMT titles too..

Region releases can be bypassed with a card the likes of an AK2i or Wood or what have you. One of the many advantages to owning a flash cart. :P

One probably won't be made for the 3DS for a while though. They've announced that one of their primary concerns were upping their security measures. Since after the security on the DS was cracked, it would often have a "large impact" on sales of the bigger games. I have my doubts about that though. I personally wouldn't be going out and spending upwards to $50 for every DS game, so technically they aren't losing any money from me.

• 1 month later...

Yup im def getting this system!! Did they say if the 3D games would cost more then they regular DS games when they first come out?

Actually, I just went and picked up my 3DS at a midnight release last night. I bought Samurai Warriors with it as well. The system was $250 and the game was $39.99. $42.73 with tax. So the games will be the same price. Obviously there will be better games coming out for it the longer it's out. So the pricing will most likely go up or down depending on the game you want to buy. Personally, I'm waiting for the Resident Evil games and one of the only remakes I'm looking forward to, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater.

This system is amazing. The camera quality isn't as great as you would expect, but it's fully capable of taking crisp, 3D pictures. REAL 3D. Way better than that crap you see with the glasses, or other 3D devices. Some pictures I've taken have almost made me feel like I'm looking through a small window, or at an extremely detailed pop-up book. The 3D gives an incredible layering effect that actually appears to sink DOWN into the screen. Nothing is actually popping out off of the screen at you, as one might expect with it being 3D and all. Things don't pop out, they sink in. Picture a person standing on screen with a random plain, non-eye catching background. The person would stay right where he is, but as you increase the 3D depth, the background image will sink further and further inward.

Depending on your eyes, you may have difficulty seeing 3D. Apparently, Nintendo says, some people may not be able to see the 3D effect at all. I've only played Samurai Warriors, and things are pretty hectic in that game, so having the 3D all the way up often complicates things, and the higher the 3D setting, the harder it is to see the 3D effect correctly. The 3D effect doesn't seem to be perfected yet, but Nintendo can change that with downloadable firmware updates in the future. Basically, there's a "sweet spot" that you have to find to suit your eyes. That spot will display the greatest effect of 3D that your eyes can see. Too much higher than that, and the 3D effect will start diminishing, or make the game hard to see, SORT of like you're looking at the game cross-eyed.

This slight issue is entirely dependent on what images you are trying to see in 3D. At the main 3DS menu, I can view the Mii's and all of the animated software display icons on the top screen, in full 3D, without any problems. However, when playing Samurai Warriors, unless I'm playing in my "sweet spot", I find myself adjusting the 3D slider while movies are playing, or things like that. Even when in my sweet spot, sometimes the images/video being displayed call for a little more, or a little less, 3D effect.

Playing in full 3D doesn't necessarily mean it's any more "full 3D" than a slider that's raised half way or just a little. Sure, it gives more depth, but it's also a little strenuous on the eyes when playing games and what not. I often play on the lowest 3D setting. The images quite clearly pop "out" at you, while the background and everything still sinks inward, giving a very nice 3D effect, even on the lowest 3D setting. My eyes rarely feel strained or anything like that when playing on the lowest setting. But when the 3D slider is all the way up, sometimes I can definitely feel a lot of strain on them, depending on what's being displayed, and whether or not the 3D is being displayed properly to my eyes, I might have to look away for a few seconds. The strain comes from the 3D giving a cross-eyed effect on screen, because the game uses 2 images designed for each of your eyes to display the "3D". You have to look at it just right to see the full effect of the 3D, and sometimes it's just off because the image is too crowded or polluted with too many objects/movements.

Overall, I am very impressed with this system. Nintendo has done something that nobody else has managed to do, yet. Obviously there needs to be some care taken in it's use, but only a complete idiot would stare at a screen that's making their eyes ask "WTF IS GOING ON?!" Seriously... cross your eyes and tell me if it feels okay to keep them that way. I talk about strain and pain on the eyes, but it's not really a strain or a pain so much, to me at least. It's more of...... an annoyance, I guess you would say. You can see the screen clearly, but at the same time it's.... blurry... it's hard to explain. Basically, both of your eyes are getting separate images that ALMOST match up perfectly to one another, but something is slightly off between the two.

I'd like to see one of these. I have a 55" 3d TV and it seems like it can do two different things. Some things do actually pop out, but then it also has the depth effect where it looks like it can go infinitely back into the set. Regardless of the cost and if it is successful or not, it is nice to see nintendo pushing the envelope with technology.

• 7 months later...