help with hdmi

Smock

I just got an hdmi cord for my computer to my lcd tv. Video works great but its telling me audio is not plugged in... anyone have any ideas? I've googled it dan tried helping and couldnty figure out why...

What skye said. Here is some detailed instructions just incase:

For Windows Vista/7 :

1.) Right click on the volume controls in the right hand system tray (right hand corner on the windows bar).

2.) Select Playback devices

3.) Select the HDMI output and set it to default

Unfortunately I never found a way to get multiple playback devices to work =( (at least to my knowledge it won't let you run multiple playback devices at the same time. Like Sound from HD TV and Computer speakers running together. When you enable one, it will turn the other one off).

actually, this happens to me alot with my pc -> hdmi -> tv setup. i dont know why pc does it. it also happens to my pc monitor. (i just unplug monitor and plug to tv when watching movies or playing console-like games) the only fix i found for it was to just unplug and plug back in (sometimes works) or restart pc with hdmi plugged into whatever is being used (always works). <-- for me anyways. hope you get it sorted out cus i hated that problem.

with my HDMI out board I need to run a separate audio line, small green 3.5mm jack or 1/8 inch in US. I dont not know the reason why but for mine I had to ...works fine. Also have option for orange digital spdif. All i can recall is something to do with a TV with a dedicated HDMI PC port

Found this article:

Unless your computer has an HDMI output port that is setup to also carry audio (i.e. it is "tied into" the audio system of the computer), you will need to supply the audio over a separate cable. This would be the same as if you use a DVI to HDMI cable to go from a DVI port on the computer to a HDMI port on the TV. Most HDTVs these days have HDMI input #1 setup to also be a "DVI input". They do this by providing an audio input that is "associated" with HDMI input #1 which allows you to take an audio cable from the audio output of the computer to the TV. Usually, this will be analog sound, but there might be some TVs that also can do digital.

Ah...wish I had time to reply to this earlier. Looks like Funkbutt beat me to it. If what the others have pointed out with your audio output being correctly set then the likely culprit is you'll need a dedicated audio cable to run to the TV. Like Funkbutt said, my Vizio for example has HDMI-1 plus a set of RCA inputs associated with HDMI-1. Hopefully one of these is your issue and it's not an arbitrary software problem.

Let us know if you get it fixed, and what the issue was.

lol. i actually never heard of that :P kinda defeats the purpose of HDMI doesnt it?

to use HDMI for Hi-Def video AND audio but instead use it for only video...minus well use the DVI...why'd they make HDMI technology if not all HDMI components werent going to support full HDMI capabilities?

lol. i actually never heard of that :P kinda defeats the purpose of HDMI doesnt it?

to use HDMI for Hi-Def video AND audio but instead use it for only video...minus well use the DVI...why'd they make HDMI technology if not all HDMI components werent going to support full HDMI capabilities?

Video cards support HDMI audio + video. But not all motherboards support hdmi audio.