Super Nintendo?

Atheist

Does anyone know were I can get my hands on a super nintendo? I loved playing the super nintendo as a kid! Especially Super Metroid that was the shit! Anyways thanks in advance!

You want a real SNES or an emulator would be good enough. The problem with SNES is that games are kinda hard to find and they aren't cheap. Let's say Mario Kart is over 50$ here. Mario Kart WII is under 40$... The controllers aren't cheap too, the good ones are hard to find. I have a real SNES with 20 games, but I won't sell it since I play from time to time.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/b76e/?pfm=Search&t=retro%20duo 49.99 from ThinkGeek and they ship to most countries.

For game cartridges, any second hand gaming store should work. Pawn shops and garage sales are great. Here in Ohio there are a few stores that go by the name GameSwap; you'll also find a few in other states if you live in the US. Some of them will ship you games if you foot the bill.

Emulators and ROMs are illegal, and we do not support or suggest such things. In about 2060 the copyrights for NES and SNES will go out if not renewed by Nintendo or the owners of Nintendo property. Until that time, Nintendo and its partners hold the copyrights to all titles, hardware, and software related to those consoles.

http://www.thinkgeek...h&t=retro%20duo 49.99 from ThinkGeek and they ship to most countries.

For game cartridges, any second hand gaming store should work. Pawn shops and garage sales are great. Here in Ohio there are a few stores that go by the name GameSwap; you'll also find a few in other states if you live in the US. Some of them will ship you games if you foot the bill.

Emulators and ROMs are illegal, and we do not support or suggest such things. In about 2060 the copyrights for NES and SNES will go out if not renewed by Nintendo or the owners of Nintendo property. Until that time, Nintendo and its partners hold the copyrights to all titles, hardware, and software related to those consoles.

Just to let you know that Emulators aren't illegal. The only illegal thing are the ROMs of the games you don't own. By example, I have 20 games of SNES. I have those 20 games as ROMs on my computer and I play those games with my Emulator. This is totally legal. Also, my friend and me own the real Mario Kart. When we want to play together, instead of going to each others house, we play with our Emulator by network. This is cool, you should try it ;) (but only if you own the games, else it's illegal to have those)

You've been fooled by the speak of the internet.

According to the DMCA, you may maintain one archival backup of your software without circumventing any copy protection. You are not entitled to download anything from anyone. You must make it yourself; only problem is, most duplicators/backup tools are illegal.

Emulators are reverse engineered from hardware dumps and IO carts. Most companies don't take kindly to that. Take a look at Blizzard/Activision and all of the lawsuits against reverse engineered servers. While it may not be directly illegal, you are still infringing on the intellectual properties of the copyright owners. They also hurt companies by promoting piracy.

For some light reading, refer to Nintendo's legal page: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

To quote them: "...whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet."

Then I've been fooled I would say. The thing is, that wasn't there back 10 years and more ago. The 1st time I downloaded my emulator, I can assure you that it was legal. If they now say it's illegal, that's up to them to change their politics. But for the ROMs I own, they were downloaded back 10 years ago when it was legal to have the same ROMs as the real Nintendo games you had. I guess it changed, which is sad.

For the emulator, you are right, it's totally legal. They can't do anything about it since a while. A lot of case has failed. Even a direct product of a reverse engineering sony product has been aloud on the market.

However, I'll always suggest to use emulators since they can bring some other games that other people produced which are really cool and other features. You should try Mario Kaizo ;) It's a remake of Super Mario World but really hard!

Ahem.

"The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law that implements two 1996 treaties of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself... signed into law by President Bill Clinton on October 28, 1998."

Emulators and ROMs have been made illegal since 1998 when the DMCA went into effect. The intellectual properties have been protected since 1996 in over 100 countries.

Emulators support and encourage priacy. If people want to release games, there are plenty of open environments they can program in (Java, C, etc) and release their software online (or back then, over BBS).

Back on topic, just found http://www.estarland.com/NintendoSuper.html to purchase used SNES games at. Worth a look.

Edit: I should point out that emulators are the "dissemination of technology, devices, or services that controls access to copyrighted works."

Again, the NET isn't the same as it was 10 years ago. I can't find the same stuff I was able to find 10 years ago. But I can assure that it was totally legal. The best place to find ROMs was something like emulaworld which has been disband a couple years ago. They had everything about the copyrights and I had to agree that I had the game before downloading any of those. It's sad it's not up anymore, I could of show you that it was legal ;)

Coding SNES games is really nice. I tried it, but couldn't achieve something good. Coding a whole game in Java like Mario Kaizo would be really hard to do. It's the same as all the games that you can play with Homebrew on a WII.

Emulator like znes is the proof that we can do nice stuff with Nintendo. Being able to play an SNES game over the Internet is really nice. I was playing Mario Kart on a 56k connection. However, I got a lot of problems with the new version, it loads bad with my laptop. If someone find a good combination of the video resolution with a wide screen, let me know!

The laws haven't changed. What has changed is the pursuit of violators.

Those agreements where hopeful wishes of those websites for trying to dodge the blame of hosting illegal goods. Sadly, the are responsible for the content they host. So it was illegal then, it just had a "candy coating" to make you think it wasn't.

Try Flash if you want to make "easy" games. Actionscript will be what you want to study, but otherwise it's just controlling objects on a 2D plane.

Further, to move back towards the topic:

http://www.fctwin.net/All-Products-c1.html This is another website to find parts and consoles to play your old games on/with.

damnit you two....shutup :P we know that emualtion is a simple and easy way for retro gaming and we also know roms are illegal and are not supported on forums :thanks

((nothing against you two but i dont wanna see more rambling about the topic... :lol: ))

• 3 weeks later...

You could try those sites Skye has been listing. First, you should check around at your local pawn shops though. Often times, you can find an old SNES lying around in one for like $10-$15. I've seen the games go for pennies on the dollar, when they actually have them. Buy one for a dollar and get one free kind of deals. It all depends on where you live and what you have in your area. But you should definitely go around to your local stores first. I wouldn't be so willing to spend over $50 on an SNES or any of it's games. It's totally not worth it and it's a big ripoff. So check with local stores first! They most likely won't try and rip you off like people online will.

Emulators support and encourage priacy.

I would just like to point out that, that's not necessarily always true. Anymore, for the older systems, they only work to preserve these games for younger generations. Nintendo obviously makes no money off of the SNES or it's games anymore. Save for a couple of rehashed remakes. Chrono Trigger for the DS comes to mind. For all intents and purposes, the SNES is dead to Nintendo. If not for their extensive copyright protection, it would already be considered abandonware. The sites who host ROMs for older systems, while illegal to download and use, I believe, are doing a greater good than injustice by having these games backed up for future generations. If not for them, many SNES games would never be played again. I rarely see SNES consoles or games around at stores, and I'm sure it's much the same everywhere else, minus a few special places. I also fail to see how it's piracy if Nintendo no longer sees any profit from this console. If they aren't making any money off of it, you obviously can't be stealing it from them. The only people really being ripped off here are the people who are trying to sell an outdated, overpriced console with way overpriced games.

I would just like to point out that, that's not necessarily always true. Anymore, for the older systems, they only work to preserve these games for younger generations. Nintendo obviously makes no money off of the SNES or it's games anymore. Save for a couple of rehashed remakes. Chrono Trigger for the DS comes to mind. For all intents and purposes, the SNES is dead to Nintendo. If not for their extensive copyright protection, it would already be considered abandonware. The sites who host ROMs for older systems, while illegal to download and use, I believe, are doing a greater good than injustice by having these games backed up for future generations. If not for them, many SNES games would never be played again. I rarely see SNES consoles or games around at stores, and I'm sure it's much the same everywhere else, minus a few special places. I also fail to see how it's piracy if Nintendo no longer sees any profit from this console. If they aren't making any money off of it, you obviously can't be stealing it from them. The only people really being ripped off here are the people who are trying to sell an outdated, overpriced console with way overpriced games.

I pretty much agree with this, I wasnt alive around the time of the NES or SNES so I have no idea what its like and judging from other comments, they arent cheap to get anymore since they are pretty much an ancient gaming console. Having an emulator would give me the chance to experience the consoles