Bad surface type

Smashy

9 hours ago, Smashy said:

Also, I didn’t know my et folder backup onto my cloud drive so when I deleted and reinstalled there were two versions of everything on my PC . Sorry for the f***ery! 

just a  ? you don't us etstartpro do you 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've had to reinstall ET 3 times in 2 days, it's getting super frustrating.  The bad surface type saga continues.

This time I did a condump of the error:

4445 files in pk3 files
--------------------------------
ERROR: Bad surfaceType
Sys_LoadGameDll -> FS_CL_ExtractFromPakFile(C:\Users\ameli\OneDrive\Documents\ETLegacy, jaymod, ui_mp_x86.dll)
Sys_LoadDll(C:\Users\ameli\OneDrive\Documents\ETLegacy\jaymod\ui_mp_x86.dll)... succeeded
Sys_LoadDll(jaymod/ui) found vmMain function at 6DB24B00
Total favorite servers restored: 0
RE_Shutdown( 0 )
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- Initializing Renderer ----
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060/PCIe/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 555.99
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 4.60 NVIDIA
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 32768
GL_MAX_ACTIVE_TEXTURES_ARB: 4
PIXELFORMAT: color(24-bits) Z(24-bit) stencil(0-bits)
MODE: -2, SCREEN: 3440 x 1440 fullscreen (ratio 2.3889) Hz:N/A
GAMMA: hardware w/ 0 overbright bits
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
picmip: 0
texture bits: 0
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: enabled
compressed textures: enabled
Setting up FBO
Initializing Shaders
--------------------------------
R_LoadPreRenderedFont: font file 'fonts/JetBrainsMono-SemiBold_16.dat' was not found.
R_GetFont: can't load font 'JetBrainsMono-SemiBold' 'fonts/JetBrainsMono-SemiBold_16.dat' point size 16.
RE_RegisterFont: failed to register font with name 'JetBrainsMono-SemiBold' point size 16
R_LoadPreRenderedFont: font file 'fonts/ETL-icon-font_16.dat' was not found.
R_GetFont: can't load font 'ETL-icon-font' 'fonts/ETL-icon-font_16.dat' point size 16.
RE_RegisterFont: failed to register font with name 'ETL-icon-font' point size 16
Sys_LoadGameDll -> FS_CL_ExtractFromPakFile(C:\Users\ameli\OneDrive\Documents\ETLegacy, jaymod, ui_mp_x86.dll)
Sys_LoadDll(C:\Users\ameli\OneDrive\Documents\ETLegacy\jaymod\ui_mp_x86.dll)... succeeded
Sys_LoadDll(jaymod/ui) found vmMain function at 6DB24B00
Total favorite servers restored: 0
execing profiles/Smashy/etconfig.cfg
]/condump "badsurfacetype"
Dumped console text to badsurfacetype.txt.

I'm wondering if it's a setting I'm using. Please help!!

• Sad 1

• Leader
1 hour ago, Smashy said:

I don't like these lines loading critical modules from OneDrive.  I prefer to keep local copies, instead of having to download from OneDrive.  (or are they local copies of what is on OneDrive???)

When I was using OneDrive, I was ENRAGED to find that MS had moved many of my files onto OneDrive and that they had to be downloaded to be viewed or used.  I went through all the files and set them to something like, "keep original files on HD".  I had thought that I was using OneDrive as a backup service, not moving my files to 'the Cloud!' 😆 Besides, with the default settings my OneDrive filled up right away, the greedy poot! 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

I don't like these lines loading critical modules from OneDrive.  I prefer to keep local copies, instead of having to download from OneDrive.  (or are they local copies of what is on OneDrive???)

When I was using OneDrive, I was ENRAGED to find that MS had moved many of my files onto OneDrive and that they had to be downloaded to be viewed or used.  I went through all the files and set them to something like, "keep original files on HD".  I had thought that I was using OneDrive as a backup service, not moving my files to 'the Cloud!' 😆 Besides, with the default settings my OneDrive filled up right away, the greedy poot! 

So, I have no idea to disassociate my documents from my one drive.  Its windows 11, there seems to be a hard version as well. so i think it's just local copies of whats on one drive? I have my one drive disabled because it was such nuisance. 

Edited by RedBaird
moved reply text out of Quote-box

• Leader
Posted (edited)

Okay, if your ETL is reading files from your local HD, then I have no issues with the OneDrive in the file paths. 😄 

My non-expert eyes are worried about those textual elements that are declared as "missing."  That might be trivial or if might be clues to some kind of corruption.  BUT, with so many re-installs, I am :?: 

We will have to call in some ETL experts! 

2 hours ago, Smashy said:

R_LoadPreRenderedFont: font file 'fonts/JetBrainsMono-SemiBold_16.dat' was not found.
R_GetFont: can't load font 'JetBrainsMono-SemiBold' 'fonts/JetBrainsMono-SemiBold_16.dat' point size 16.
RE_RegisterFont: failed to register font with name 'JetBrainsMono-SemiBold' point size 16
R_LoadPreRenderedFont: font file 'fonts/ETL-icon-font_16.dat' was not found.
R_GetFont: can't load font 'ETL-icon-font' 'fonts/ETL-icon-font_16.dat' point size 16.
RE_RegisterFont: failed to register font with name 'ETL-icon-font' point size 16

"Jetbrains" is a normal part of ETL.  The quote below is from ETL's "About" page.

ET:Legacy is currently developed and maintained with JetBrain products, including Clion and IntelliJ.

Edited by RedBaird
+ jetbrains

Ah yea @RedBaird reminds me. Kinda useless at the current moment but another person, zeezuss had major fps issues , found out his entire game was being loaded via one drive. He made it point to his regular HD and worked fine afterwards 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shoresy said:

Ah yea @RedBaird reminds me. Kinda useless at the current moment but another person, zeezuss had major fps issues , found out his entire game was being loaded via one drive. He made it point to his regular HD and worked fine afterwards 

How do I change that?? Anyone want to remote into my computer, lol 

5 hours ago, Smashy said:

How do I change that?? Anyone want to remote into my computer, lol 

Just go into your one drive and go into settings and in there you should see either auto backup or sync can turn them off if you don’t care to use it at all. But there should be a spot to exclude et all together. Just remember to copy your guid and such over to your hd before or you’ll end up with a new one

• 100 1

3 hours ago, Shoresy said:

Just go into your one drive and go into settings and in there you should see either auto backup or sync can turn them off if you don’t care to use it at all. But there should be a spot to exclude et all together. Just remember to copy your guid and such over to your hd before or you’ll end up with a new one

I thought I did that, I’m so confused. 

I checked my one drive thing, disabled one drive, reinstalled my entire PC and said NO to onedrive.... it STILL gave me one drive folders.  Then, I tried downloading ET fresh again, and my PC said No thanks, there's not enough memory.  I am about to throw this overpriced lit up piece of crap in the firepit.

• Sad 1

• Platinum VIP

How about Settings > System > Storage > Where New Content Is Saved?

All of the options on this screen should be set to one of your local drives instead of OneDrive.

58 minutes ago, Aft3rmath said:

How about Settings > System > Storage > Where New Content Is Saved?

All of the options on this screen should be set to one of your local drives instead of OneDrive.

Its all set it HD 

So, after reinstalling your PC, do you mean like a full reformat? Or did you just backup? 

Have you tried the game since reinstall? 

Same error? 

My next suggestion would be to download a new installer of ETL, and do a another install in a separate folder on your PC (creating 2 ET's on your PC) 

Don't copy over ETkey or anything and see if that works. If it does, this will tell you it's something to do with your client and not your PC. If it does not work, it's something to do with your PC and we can go from there. 

Unless of course as Red said, some ETL expert pops up and knows all 😄 

19 minutes ago, Shoresy said:

So, after reinstalling your PC, do you mean like a full reformat? Or did you just backup? 

Have you tried the game since reinstall? 

Same error? 

My next suggestion would be to download a new installer of ETL, and do a another install in a separate folder on your PC (creating 2 ET's on your PC) 

Don't copy over ETkey or anything and see if that works. If it does, this will tell you it's something to do with your client and not your PC. If it does not work, it's something to do with your PC and we can go from there. 

Unless of course as Red said, some ETL expert pops up and knows all 😄 

I have successfully been connected for 2 maps now lol 

• Love 1