ET Server How to Add Custom Maps to Campaign or Objective Cycles?

modem24

Hello all!

I've been an active ET gamer since around 2003 and finally have gotten back into it with friends and now hosting a dedicated server. 

Everything is working except... one of our favorite maps simply will not load within ET.  The file is RTCC2.PK3 (Return to Carnage Canyon 2).  The file is in the correct location on the server and on the clients.  If I run a self hosted server on my PC (like we used too...) the Carnage Canyon shows up with the 3 map or 6 map campaign.  I would like to have this setup on our dedicated server for internet play for those of us who don't get together in person enough anymore.

I have been trying several modifications to the config files but so far nothing has worked.  Here's what I've done so far...

1.)  I initially added the following to the server.cfg file:  map "oasis;fueldump;carnage;"    Result - all default maps loaded.  Excluded and additional maps were ignored.

2.)  I uncommented exec campaigncycle.cfg in server.cfg.  In the campaigncycle.cfg file I wasn't sure the proper syntax to load the map as the cfg file references campaign groups in there.

3.)  I commented out the campaign cycle and uncommented exec objectivecycle.cfg.  In here I added a new first line of set d1 "set g_gametype 2 ; map carnage ; set nextmap vstr d2"  The result was that nothing changed.

Can someone point me in the right direction for getting custom maps added to a map rotation cycle and what I need to do?

Thanks!

Some questions:

1. What mod are you using? Or is it default mod, either etmain (if 2.60b) or legacy if (ETLegacy). 

2. I mentioned the ET versions. Which one are you using? 

3. So your final purpose is to run the server locally and share it with friends? Or as a dedicated server? What OS will be used? 

On 4/8/2024 at 11:50 AM, kajto3 said:

Some questions:

1. What mod are you using? Or is it default mod, either etmain (if 2.60b) or legacy if (ETLegacy). 

2. I mentioned the ET versions. Which one are you using? 

3. So your final purpose is to run the server locally and share it with friends? Or as a dedicated server? What OS will be used? 

@kajto3 Thanks for the reply!  To answer your questions....

1.)  The server is default etmain (2.60b), although we may run clients with ETLegacy.  

2.)  See #1.

3a.)  Locally here in my office/house to have friends connect to it for in house lan parties and inviting friends to connect via remote.

3b.)  In-house Dedicated server running in it's own VM.

3c.)  Ubuntu 22.04.1

• 2 weeks later...

So, you'll be running classic 2.60b setup with etmain as a mod. While I'd recommend using some kind of custom mod for better experience - guess it might produce some additional issues; besides, you and your friends are pretty fresh to the game at this point and don't have that many expectations - so perhaps you'll be thinking about that later.

Objective cycle is the easiest to set up, campaign works slightly different. Make sure you keep your cfgs clean and don't execute some stuff that would conflict with each other.

The server needs a map started in order to run at all. That's done either via "map mapname" or "exec xxx-cycle.cfg" from the cfg. Also, keep in mind, the mapname must be a .bsp name, not the name of the pk3 file. To get the bsp name, open the pk3 archive and go to 'maps' dir - you'll find the bsp file there.

The Objective gamemode I mentioned can be turned on by setting g_gametype to 2. This however, has to be set inside the objectivecycle.cfg file. It looks like you already tried that:

On 4/7/2024 at 8:50 PM, modem24 said:

3.)  I commented out the campaign cycle and uncommented exec objectivecycle.cfg.  In here I added a new first line of set d1 "set g_gametype 2 ; map carnage ; set nextmap vstr d2"  The result was that nothing changed.

Once the initial map was loaded via the objectivecycle script, it should work. Make sure you have only 'exec objectivecycle.cfg' uncommented in your cfg file.
After the server was started, from the server console, you can test whether 'nextmap' is set to 'd2' (for example), or whether that variable exists at all. You can also trigger the next map using 'vstr nextmap' from the server console.
If you still have issues, maybe you could share the objectivecycle.cfg and server.cfg (with private info hidden) files so we can check it out.

Edited by kajto3

Here below is a default objectivecycle.cfg file that comes along with ET. Check it out and tweak it with your own maps. I see as you tried to do it already, but the cycle was incorrect and it has to return to start from the last map to work.

set d1 "set g_gametype 2 ; map oasis ; set nextmap vstr d2"
set d2 "set g_gametype 2 ; map battery ; set nextmap vstr d3"
set d3 "set g_gametype 2 ; map goldrush ; set nextmap vstr d4"
set d4 "set g_gametype 2 ; map radar ; set nextmap vstr d5"
set d5 "set g_gametype 2 ; map railgun ; set nextmap vstr d6"
set d6 "set g_gametype 2 ; map fueldump ; set nextmap vstr d1"
vstr d1