I made a smooth cfg for non gaming computers that doesn't sacrifice graphics

I'm sure there is others like me who only play this game.. So why spend thousands on a gaming rig? I've been messing with this cfg forever.. It's nothing too crazy, but runs great at 62 fps on basic computers/laptops.

Enjoy!

badpc.cfg

Edited by SlapStick

• SlapStick changed the title to I made a smooth cfg for non gaming computers that doesn't sacrifice graphics

I got about 40 fps more in timedemo with my cfg, than with yours. Your missing commands like r_lodbias, r_subdivisions.

r_lodCurveError should be 0 not 100, r_roundimagesdown can be 1/0, you have it set to 2 ?

With these four settings alone you can improve you fps by ~25. Without any noticeable difference to how the game looks. 

Only difference is maybe r_subdivisions, where you can start to see through some corners. 

Also you have used r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" and these are the Highest-Quality textures in ET. I dont know if you knew this or not but r_textureMode has no effect on FPS. I tested this with r_texturemode GL_NEAREST (worst textures) vs GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR (best textures) and there is absolutely no difference in FPS. So you can make your game look like Minecraft with r_texturemode GL_NEAREST and have no FPS boost.  Same thing with r_picmip 0 and r_picmip 3, no FPS difference. That is with my PC. If you you have low-end laptop, maybe there is difference. It would be nice, if you could test it. Use /timedemo for proper results.

r_subdivisions.thumb.jpg.9ca65ead361467d628bec474bc07f597.jpg

GL_nearest_vs_GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR.jpg

Edited by HarryAimpotter
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HarryAimpotter said:

I got about 40 fps more in timedemo with my cfg, than with yours. Your missing commands like r_lodbias, r_subdivisions.

r_lodCurveError should be 0 not 100, r_roundimagesdown can be 1/0, you have it set to 2 ?

With these four settings alone you can improve you fps by ~25. Without any noticeable difference to how the game looks. 

Only difference is maybe r_subdivisions, where you can start to see through some corners. 

Also you have used r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" and these are the Highest-Quality textures in ET. I dont know if you knew this or not but r_textureMode has no effect on FPS. I tested this with r_texturemode GL_NEAREST (worst textures) vs GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR (best textures) and there is absolutely no difference in FPS. So you can make your game look like Minecraft with r_texturemode GL_NEAREST and have no FPS boost.  Same thing with r_picmip 0 and r_picmip 3, no FPS difference. That is with my PC. If you you have low-end laptop, maybe there is difference. It would be nice, if you could test it. Use /timedemo for proper results.

r_subdivisions.thumb.jpg.9ca65ead361467d628bec474bc07f597.jpg

GL_nearest_vs_GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR.jpg

I purposely set it up for 62 fps. Great for basic 60hz monitors, like whats in my work laptop. Higher end monitors will run it fine aswell. FPS never drops, plays great in fast pace settings and hits great too. I love the cfg for what Im working with. This isnt designed to go over 62 fps though.

Com_maxfps 62 setting has nothing to do with the things I sayd in my first post. If your goal is just to play with 62 fps, then why not take just any random cfg and cap the fps to 62? My understandig was that your goal was to make a cfg that would run smoothly on bad pc, was it not?

7 minutes ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Com_maxfps 62 setting has nothing to do with the things I sayd in my first post. If your goal is just to play with 62 fps, then why not take just any random cfg and cap the fps to 62? My understandig was that your goal was to make a cfg that would run smoothly on bad pc, was it not?

In the title I wrote "not sacrifice graphics" by that I meant, keeping the visual experience of gameplay. :) Thank you for the comments on those core fps boosting cmds! 

Also capping the fps to 62 makes no sense, even if you have 60 hz monitor. Having more fps is always better, less latency/input lag and game will feel more responsive, even if your monitor is only able to display 60 frames in second. So you should run your game at the highest stable fps your gaming system and internet connection can handle. Your monitor hz does not matter.

And I'm really sorry to say this but I would not recommend your cfg to anyone who has old/slow system and is struggling with fps. Your cfg is very poorly optimized, for the reasons I mentioned in my first post.

Edited by HarryAimpotter
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 2

1 hour ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Also capping the fps to 62 makes no sense, even if you have 60 hz monitor. Having more fps is always better, less latency/input lag and game will feel more responsive, even if your monitor is only able to display 60 frames in second. So you should run your game at the highest stable fps your gaming system and internet connection can handle. Your monitor hz does not matter.

And I'm really sorry to say this but I would not recommend your cfg to anyone who has old/slow system and is struggling with fps. Your cfg is very poorly optimized, for the reasons I mentioned in my first post.

You're talking in very hypothetical terminology here. I have a hard time believing you've played a map with my cfg. I also pick up a bit of gatekeeping from you, but thats fine. I was just tossing my config out there to see if it could help anyone. 

6 hours ago, SlapStick said:

You're talking in very hypothetical terminology

I'm sorry if you dont understand this "hypothetical terminology", but thats just  how computer games work and before you want to start helping anyone maybe you should educate yourself on the topic. Im not trying to gatekeep you. I have knowlege about configs and this game that I have gained over years and years of experience and testing and I am trying to pass some of it to you. I dont need to actually play with any config to test out how well optimized it is. I think you have good intentions and I dont want to hurt your feelings but the main reason I replyed was that your config could not help anyone and if anything It would make things worse for them.

TL:DR config is badly optimized, dont use this if you have slow system.

Edited by HarryAimpotter
  • Like 2

So because 4 cmds are not the way you’d have them and the fps is set to 62, youre going to tell people not to use the config. Thats gate keeping. Well, Im sure 1 person out of the 5 who downloaded it is enjoying their game! Cheers 😊