How often to you reboot your Windows machine

Blunt

How often do you reboot your computer?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you reboot your computer?

• Daily, every morning I start fresh
    • Weekly, computer starts to get bonky after that
    • Every few months, when the computer gets wonky or there is a major update
    • Never, I run Linux

I was telling someone that I only reboot my computer every few months.  They said you must be running Linux, nope I am running Win11.   I normally let my computer go into Sleep mode when I am done for the day.   Last time I rebooted was a forced reboot from a MS update.   Don't get me wrong, it's Windows so it's rare I go a full 3 months without a reboot to correct it being wonky.  Currently system says boot time 12/13/2023. 

• Like 1

• Leader

I use "hibernate" on a Windows 10 pro Desktop.  I schedule a once-a-month restart, but more often have to reboot on Patch Tuesdays, or when something goes 'wonky'.

I should reinstall an old 128GB SATA2 SSD and use that for the hiberfil and pagefile, so that my main SSD has less work to do.

I do make some mistakes with this though, I had a couple of inPrivate browsers with tabs open, but had to restart Windows for some reason (or did the return from Hibernate fail?) and lost those temporary tabs. :( 

I usually make sure to write any open files before I hibernate.

Because I turn off the power to the desktop computer, the OS state is restored from the image on the SSD, instead of just using the OS from RAM.  

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP
7 hours ago, Blunt said:

I was telling someone that I only reboot my computer every few months.  They said you must be running Linux, nope I am running Win11.   I normally let my computer go into Sleep mode when I am done for the day.   Last time I rebooted was a forced reboot from a MS update.   Don't get me wrong, it's Windows so it's rare I go a full 3 months without a reboot to correct it being wonky.  Currently system says boot time 12/13/2023. 

I put down that I use Linux but I still have a Bootable Win11 SSD that I have to use occasionally and my work Laptop is Win11. I would normally only reboot for updates - like I do with Arch when there's a Kernel or bigger update. Otherwise, I just put it in Sleep mode like you do

• Like 2