GPU Upgrade

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

When I built my Desktop a few yrs ago, GPU's were very hard to find so after a month of using onboard Graphics, I settled on an ASUS Nvidia 1080, just to have something

Finally, pulled the trigger on a new card today.

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 15 Gbps GDRR6 192-Bit HDMI/DP PCIe 4 Torx Twin Fan Ampere OC Graphics Card

I assume this will be a nice upgrade

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • 100 1

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, bLade. said:

Nice that’s a huge upgrade, you will definitely see a major difference. What PSU are you running?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XQjG3C/rosewill-hive-s-1000-w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-hive-1000s

• Like 1

Did you see any upgrade?  I never had anything but I bought a 3060ti thinking that I would finally be able to play ET with a high framerate.  I still sometimes only get 60-70 frames on some maps.  I suppose my processor is the bottleneck now.

• Platinum VIP
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Scab said:

Did you see any upgrade?  I never had anything but I bought a 3060ti thinking that I would finally be able to play ET with a high framerate.  I still sometimes only get 60-70 frames on some maps.  I suppose my processor is the bottleneck now.

I won't have it for about another week, but even with the current 1080, I get steady 125 FPS.

Even on default BIOS settings, but now I'm 5G Over-clocked and running an ASUS Maximus X Hero/i7-8700K CPU and 32 Gigs of DDR 4-2166 RAM

Plus crazy fast internet 920dl/850ul

Edited by -=HipKat=-

This is my processor.  Do you think it could be causing me issues with ET running smoothly? AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor              4.01 GHz

On 1/4/2024 at 10:39 PM, Scab said:

This is my processor.  Do you think it could be causing me issues with ET running smoothly? AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor              4.01 GHz

Your processor is a bit of a dog, you can reference it here and also run a benchmark test against a  few thousand other builds with the same CPU
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-FX-8350/Rating/1489

image.thumb.png.5e3442925c2d1d03235e4f044b65296f.png

• Platinum VIP

Got the card, installed in Windows, no problem

Cool that in Windows, the Console in ET scales properly for the first time ever (Previously, text was tiny) but I still see FPS flickering at 125. I figured it would be solid although I see no video lag now like I did with the 1080 and that's the same on Windows and Arch (running ETL latest on both OS's)

Overall in Windows and Arch, colors are brighter, deeper as much as nono-HDR 4K Moniers will allow

• Like 1