ET Jay #1 Bot in-game orders

Lagging Noob

Hey there,

Is there any commands/orders that players can give to bots ?

I remember in Quake 3, the players could give simple commands to fellow bots to improve support: follow, defend, kill [username], etc. (check here for more) albeit only the team leader can issue such orders (the team leader could be given to another player at anytime). If i'm not mistaken, this function was input in the game core from the original release, whereas in ET F-A servers we are using Omnibot (right ?)

Example:

I was just playing on Jay1, the map was baserace, each team has 3 players, rest was filled with bots to reach 12-13 slots in each team.

NB: Baserace is basically a CTF map with more complex/interesting game mechanics.

All axis bots were on defense. They were standing a position inside their base and not making any move until an enemy was in the nearby.

All allies bots were on offense: they were following routes with waypoints, i.e. they were running to the flags.

It seemed pretty obvious their behaviors were specifically different. A direct consequence is that the game balance is altered.

It reminds me we should be able to issue some basics orders to the bots, can we?

I've googled this topic and found plenty of pages for the server side commands (setup of the server), but nothing for client side, in-game orders.

Any input appreciated.

As usual, in case i haven't post at the right place, please feel free to moderate appropriately. 

Apart from the obvious needmedic and needammo voice messages, I wonder if bots listen to any others? Never heard of any bot specific commands that user can use. Perhaps something could be done in Lua or by editing the bot scripts, but that depends on what's needed ofc

Another bot-player interaction I can think of is that you can make bot drop most of its other tasks and keep following you, once you add him to your fireteam. But that option has to be enabled in OB settings

I'm gonna guess it's disabled on most of the server, as it is by default. We've enabled it on our legacy server. 

Press kp_enter key (the enter on your numerical keyboard) to open fireteam admin menu. From there you can create fireteams and invite players

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lagging Noob said:

Also, how do you invite a bot to a fireteam?

Same way you invite people. Create a fireteam and then Invite bots to it. Usually it's binded to KP_ENTER button. Then if omnibots settings allow that bots will follow your instructions unless task in map script will will be set as more important. 

Check our legacy server: etl.clan-fa.com:27950 - we allow that in settings and bots follow you nicely 😁

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 9:55 AM, Lagging Noob said:

Example:

I was just playing on Jay1, the map was baserace, each team has 3 players, rest was filled with bots to reach 12-13 slots in each team.

NB: Baserace is basically a CTF map with more complex/interesting game mechanics.

All axis bots were on defense. They were standing a position inside their base and not making any move until an enemy was in the nearby.

All allies bots were on offense: they were following routes with waypoints, i.e. they were running to the flags.

It seemed pretty obvious their behaviors were specifically different. A direct consequence is that the game balance is altered.

This behaviour is due to the bots randomly selecting a set of waypoints to follow. At the start of the map there'll be a notification saying something like "Bots Following Ultimate Steals strategy". The strategies can be found inside the bot waypoint files for baserace, specifically in the baserace.gm file. Here are the relevant lines:

// Set the Bot Strategy for the map based on the 10 point systems found at
	// http://battlefield.planetwolfenstein.gamespy.com/baseraceguide/baseconfigurations.htm
	// optionally, you can define your own by adding to the table
	// 1 - Random ( randomly choose from all available )
	// 2 - PCR - from PatheticCockroach @ omni-bot.de forum
	// 3 - The Best Attack is the Best Defense
	// 4 - Ultimate Steals
	// 5 - the best base configuration ever
	// 6 - rapid invasions
	// 7 - Rocket Insanity!
	// 8 - defense strategy
	// 9 - Away From Home Configuration
	AlliedBotStrategy = 1,
	AxisBotStrategy = 1,

BaseStrats =
	{
		// valid keywords
		// armory
		// assault
		// engineering
		// gatebunker
		// forwardwall
		// leftwall
		// ops
		// med
		// rightwall
		// spawn

// do not use
		{
			// reserved
		},

// do not use - list of keywords
		{
			// reserved
		},

// 2 - PCR - from PatheticCockroach
		{
			Name = "PCR",

spawn = 14, // first do all 4 spawn
			engineering = 10, // second do these 4
			med = 6, // med and assault next
			assault = 6,
			armory = 4, //after med and assault at lvl 2, also work on armory & ops
			ops = 4,
		},

// 3 - The Best Attack is the Best Defense
		{
			Name = "The Best Attack is the Best Defense",

spawn = 4,
			med = 2,
			armory = 2,
			ops = 2,
		},

// 4 - Ultimate Steals
		{
			Name = "Ultimate Steals",

med = 4,
			engineering = 4,
			spawn = 2,
		},

// 5 - the best base configuration ever
		{
			Name = "the best base configuration ever ",

engineering = 4,
			spawn = 4,
			med = 2,
		},

// 6 - rapid invasions
		{
			Name = "rapid invasions",

engineering = 4,
			spawn = 2,
			ops = 4,
		},

// 7 - Rocket Insanity!
		{
			Name = "Rocket Insanity!",

armory = 4,
			med = 2,
			assault = 2,
			gatebunker = 2,
		},

// 8 - defense strategy
		{
			Name = "defense strategy",

engineering = 2,
			spawn = 2,
			rightwall = 2,
			forwardwall = 2,
			leftwall = 2,
		},

// 9 - Away From Home Configuration
		{
			Name = "Away From Home Configuration",

engineering = 4,
			spawn = 2,
			assault = 2,
			gatebunker = 2,
		},
	},

Here's a working link to the website mentioned in the above text. It gives explanations for each strategy.

The strategies can only be changed server-side via editing the baserace.gm file and changing these lines:

AlliedBotStrategy = 1,
AxisBotStrategy = 1,

to the respective strategy. The 1 option just randomly selects.

If you feel it causes a big unbalance, I'd make a suggestion post for DD or whoever runs maps for Jay1 to change these values and see if other people agree.