ET Server Picking floor weapon drops your total ammo count

RASHOMON

Hey everyone,

so on JAY1, a little something I noticed. As you probably know, I love sniping and sometimes, when I find a good spot, I can kill a lot of people before dying but one nice thing on the server is that you start with 10/150 sniper ammo which is awesome because you can stay in your spot for a very long time and kill a lot of noobs worthy enemies. However, if I die and go back to the same spot, I often accidentally pick up the remains of my sniper and find myself with only 10/40 bullets which is often not enough.

Of course I wrote a little script to bypass this little inconvenience:

set autoactivate vstr autoactivate1
set autoactivate1 "cg_autoactivate 0 ; echo ^1autoactivate 0; set autoactivate vstr autoactivate2"  
set autoactivate2 "cg_autoactivate 1 ; echo ^1autoactivate 1; set autoactivate vstr autoactivate1"
bind w "vstr autoactivate"

But I often forget about it, forget which key I should use and since it's circumstancial at best, it's not that big of a deal but I was wondering if there could be an easy fix so that if you walk on a floor weapon, your ammo count doesn't suddenly drop.

A fix may benefit more players because it happens with every weapon and especially SMG: as a medic, one spawns with 30/150 bullets and when one walks on a floor SMG, one's bullet count drops to 30/120 which isn't as annoying as with the sniper but can still be detrimental in the long term. And the whole thing does not make a lot of sense anyway since you should not find yourself with less ammo after picking ammo on the ground... 😛

Anyway, tell me wether it's just not important enough (which I would understand) or it can be tweaked so that the bullet count doesn't drop too much at all.

Regards,

RASHOMON

e: maybe there's a more suited forum section where I should post this....

Edited by RASHOMON
  • Like 2

• RASHOMON changed the title to Picking floor weapon drops your total ammo count

Ok, rephrasing and making it shorter:

On Jaymod 1, as a sniper, you spawn with an ammo count of 10/150. When you walk on a sniper on the floor and pick it (accidentally, as you would walk on a health pack), your ammo count drops to 10/40 making it harder to snipe from the same spot for a long time.

The same goes for medic but it's less problematic because you die more often and can pick up ammo or weapons on the floors more frequently and more easily. When you spawn as a medic, you find yourself with 30/150 bullets and when you walk on a floor smg, it drops to 30/120. So I was asking if this could be fixed so that you don't get dramatically less ammo just for walking on extra ammo, especially as a sniper...

17 minutes ago, yaku said:

It's just Jaymod tweak.

You mean unless the base Jaymod code is tweaked, nothing can be done? Thought that since the 150 base bullets on FA#1 is in itself a tweak (is it not?), you could also tweak this...

10 minutes ago, RASHOMON said:

You mean unless the base Jaymod code is tweaked, nothing can be done? Thought that since the 150 base bullets on FA#1 is in itself a tweak (is it not?), you could also tweak this...

It's that way on every Jaymod server I know, nevermind the gun: sniper or MP40: for example if you play MP40 you start with 150 bullets but when you pick up other MP40 it drops to 120. I'm not quite sure if that's in Jaymod code, but I think it is. You can check yourself: https://github.com/budjb/jaymod

• Platinum VIP

Not just Jaymod. Every mod I've played, if you pick up a fallen weapon that's not the same as the one you carry, Thompson to MP42, for example, you lose your Thompson Ammo and you get whatever was still in the MP42. If you have 150 and you [pick up another Thompson, it drops to 120, which is all you can resupply with at an Ammo station.

Not sure why this is a question?

Edited by -=HipKat=-

8 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Not just Jaymod. Every mod I've played, if you pick up a fallen weapon that's not the same as the one you carry, Thompson to MP42, for example, you lose your Thompson Ammo and you get whatever was still in the MP42. If you have 150 and you [pick up another Thompson, it drops to 120, which is all you can resupply with at an Ammo station.

Not sure why this is a question?

Because the ammo droppout is around 20 percent when you pick up an SMG and around 75 pct when you pick up a sniper. It's not really ideal since nobody really needs to pick up a sniper. But I understand it's a niche thing that can't be fixed server side anyway. I guess FA allows you to carry extra ammo (150 instead of 120 for smg and 150 instead of 40 for sniper) and since you can't refill it at ammo station to FA max (why?) it refills back to the max default value (120 and 40 respectively) and the same logic applies for floor weapons.

I guess my question is now wether it is possible to refill till maximum (150 and 40) at ammo station so you aren't too penalized by accidentally walking on a floor weapon you don't need.