Jaymod server's - join team - crashes to desktop

MaTt0
Go to solution Solved by MaTt0,

I'm having an issue when I join a Jaymod server. 

Using ET Legacy.exe

I join the Jaymod server - No issues

I open the limbo menue - No issues

As soon as I select a team and hit Ok, It crashes the entire game to desktop.

Any ideas?

Did you download the 64 bit version of ET Legacy or the 32 bit version?

Only the 32 bit version is currently compatible with jaymod.

My recollection is that crashes like this happen when you use the wrong version.

If you don't know whether you have the 32 or 64 bit version you can check by these steps:

1. open the ET Legacy client as you normally would
  2. open the console by pressing ~ (below ESC) or by pressing SHIFT + ESC
  3. look at the lower right corner of console
  4. Type the information string into your reply

One the 32 bit version, which is required to work with jaymod, mine says:

"ET Legacy v2.80.1 linux-i386 Apr 23 2022"

Post what your game client says here.

Edited by the cake is a lie
extra info
  • Like 1

ET Legacy v2.80.1 win-x86 apr 23 2022

So its the 32 bit i assume.

I also used to be able to connect to Jaymod, now it doesn't work anymore. 

If you connect to any other non-F|A jaymod servers in the interim you may have ended up with a .pk3 file in your jaymod folder that is causing issues.

Try deleting everything in your jaymod folder except these folders and files:

• profiles
  • screenshots
  • demos
  • stats
  • jaymod-2.2.0.pk3
Edited by the cake is a lie

7 minutes ago, the cake is a lie said:

If you connect to any other non-F|A jaymod servers in the interim you may have ended up with a .pk3 file in your jaymod folder that is causing issues.

Try deleting everything in your jaymod folder except these folders and files:

• profiles
  • screenshots
  • demos
  • stats
  • jaymod-2.2.0.pk3

Just tried, did not work :( Great idea though, thought that was going to do the trick. 

I don't see anything in the log file that would suggest the cause of the error. I'm assuming you took that log from before you tried cleaning up your jaymod folder because I see a lot of extraneous pk3s listed in the log.

It is strange that it just started happening after not having issues a week ago.

Did you make any changes to your software or hardware since it was last working?

Next few things to try:

- Run ET as an administrator

- See what happens when you "join" team spectator or allies/axis from console (type in the console \team s and press ENTER, try with b or r for allies or axis)

36 minutes ago, the cake is a lie said:

I don't see anything in the log file that would suggest the cause of the error. I'm assuming you took that log from before you tried cleaning up your jaymod folder because I see a lot of extraneous pk3s listed in the log.

It is strange that it just started happening after not having issues a week ago.

Did you make any changes to your software or hardware since it was last working?

Next few things to try:

- See what happens when you "join" team spectator or allies/axis from console (type in the console \team s and press ENTER, try with b or r for allies or axis)

Heres a little video to better show XD

Edited by MaTt0

1 hour ago, the cake is a lie said:

Next few things to try:

Lmk when you watch the vid and what you think 😄

That was a very well made video demonstrating the issue. I bet it would also crash if you opened console and followed a player by typing \follow 0 (or 1, 2, 3, ...).

The intent of the join a team via console vs the regular limbo menu test was to see if the issue was triggered by something in the graphical system or if it had to do with the client game/communication with the server.

I don't have a 'real' windows install of ET at the moment so I can't try to replicate the error, just linux and windows ET via wine.

Try moving your entire ETLegacy folder out of the Documents folder temporarily and let ET create a new one. That is about as good as doing a clean install.

If that doesn't help... I'm also curious if it crashes if you host a jaymod map on your local machine. You will need the server files for jaymod from here: https://fearless-assassins.com/files/file/432-jaymod-220/

After you unzip it, rename the "jaymod" folder to something like "jaymod-server" or similar to isolate it from your existing stuff. Put it in your install folder alongside the etmain and legacy folders. From the home screen of ET select "jaymod-server" from the MODS menu. Then enter \devmap goldrush in console. Try to join a team and see if it crashes.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, the cake is a lie said:

That was a very well made video demonstrating the issue. I bet it would also crash if you opened console and followed a player by typing \follow 0 (or 1, 2, 3, ...).

The intent of the join a team via console vs the regular limbo menu test was to see if the issue was triggered by something in the graphical system or if it had to do with the client game/communication with the server.

I don't have a 'real' windows install of ET at the moment so I can't try to replicate the error, just linux and windows ET via wine.

Try moving your entire ETLegacy folder out of the Documents folder temporarily and let ET create a new one. That is about as good as doing a clean install.

If that doesn't help... I'm also curious if it crashes if you host a jaymod map on your local machine. You will need the server files for jaymod from here: https://fearless-assassins.com/files/file/432-jaymod-220/

After you unzip it, rename the "jaymod" folder to something like "jaymod-server" or similar to isolate it from your existing stuff. Put it in your install folder alongside the etmain and legacy folders. From the home screen of ET select "jaymod-server" from the MODS menu. Then enter \devmap goldrush in console. Try to join a team and see if it crashes.

Ok so removing my ET legacy folder out and creating a new one worked.

I'm just going to delete Jaymod from my original ETLEGACY folder and redownload.

Then if that doesn't work, I'm going to go through my config and see if there are any commands that may trigger a crash.

I thought I read somewhere that some commands could do that like gun frame or something. 

• Solution

And we are good to go.

I just had to delete the whole Jaymod folder. Let it re download. Good to go. Config caused no issue.

So maybe my profile or something was corrupted?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MaTt0 said:

And we are good to go.

I just had to delete the whole Jaymod folder. Let it re download. Good to go. Config caused no issue.

So maybe my profile or something was corrupted?

ya i was going to tell you to have the stream vs a go to see if you can get it working that way i'm old school i run everything from etstarter pro lol