Demos in ET Legacy

Haruhi Suzumiya
Go to solution Solved by Haruhi Suzumiya,

How do you watch demos in ET Legacy? 

I've only tried to watch some jaymod demos and I get the error "illegible server message 104"

Using the latest Legacy build and am on w10 and am running as administrator. 

Main part of the game is in (C:) > Program Files (x86) > ETLegacy

Mods/demos/configs/etc are in Documents > ETLegacy

The best tool for demo review that I'm aware of is:

You would need a 2.60b install to use it I believe but you can just copy the demo files over.

I have seen that error message once when looking at a demo but it only showed up at the end and didn't prevent me from viewing it.

But yeah, as mpover said you can use the replay menu on the homescreen or just put "\demo " in the ET console and use TAB autocomplete to find the demo you're looking for.

• Like 2

I choose the mod and then the demo on legacy the same way I'd do it in my vanilla client but it gives me that error only in Legacy. I'll try doing it in the command line and see if it works.  If not I guess I'll just move demos to my vanilla client to watch.  I have SunLights program too,  but they're just my own demos so I don't need any of the tools it has.

Edit: Sexy SS with more info

BUTWHY.png

• Like 1

I think the demo_play command is for playback of the ETLegacy server-side demo feature. Which is why the error message says “.sv_84” instead of the usual “.dm_84” for a client demo.

Try this in console with just the “demo” command:

\demo 2021-03-19-002647-cean2

• Like 1

That command just brings up "couldn't open 2021-03-19-002647-cean2.dm83"   Idk why it say's .dm83, they're definitely .dm84's in my directory.

Is this happening with all of your demos or just one/some new/old?

You said you're using latest Legacy build does that mean 2.79.0 or one of the snapshot builds?

If you're using the ETLegacy snapshot build there may be bugs.

You can send me one of the non-working demo files as a link on here or on discord.

I can try to play it in my ETLegacy and figure out the underlying issue.

• Like 1

I downloaded the latest release on their website, so 2.79.0.

Haven't tried moving the demos over to my 2.6 install to check if they work, but I imagine they would.

All demos are new since I've only been using legacy for a few days.  Haven't tried pulling a vanilla demo over to legacy to test out yet either.

In no hurry, just noticed they didn't work so I thought I'd ask.  I'll send you one of the ones I took in legacy later and see if you have luck.

If it is legacy mod try sv_pure 0

I read from one of the developers that some reason legacy mod doesn't default to non-pure mode for demos like 2.6b does

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
10 hours ago, Haruhi Suzumiya said:

That command just brings up "couldn't open 2021-03-19-002647-cean2.dm83"   Idk why it say's .dm83, they're definitely .dm84's in my directory.

I doubt this covers the whole issue but it should be caen2, not cean2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum VIP
15 hours ago, Haruhi Suzumiya said:

I choose the mod and then the demo on legacy the same way I'd do it in my vanilla client but it gives me that error only in Legacy. I'll try doing it in the command line and see if it works.  If not I guess I'll just move demos to my vanilla client to watch.  I have SunLights program too,  but they're just my own demos so I don't need any of the tools it has.

Edit: Sexy SS with more info

Little curious about that Desktop wallpaper lol

• Like 1

• Solution
20 hours ago, ASBO said:

If it is legacy mod try sv_pure 0

I read from one of the developers that some reason legacy mod doesn't default to non-pure mode for demos like 2.6b does

No change

18 hours ago, Dest!Ny said:

I doubt this covers the whole issue but it should be caen2, not cean2

Just a typo in the post 😛

16 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Little curious about that Desktop wallpaper lol

What's there to be curious about?  Is it that you want too see behind the game?  Hipkat no ecccchhhiiiiiiii

In the end I figured out the problem.  "etl" -> c:/programfiles(x86)/etlegacy/etl I had already set to run as administrator.  So I set the "etlded" c:/programfiles(x86)/eglegacy/etlded to also run as administrator as well as changed them both to run in compatibility mode for windows 7. One of those two steps fixed the issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this problem is fixed or not but I'll try to help anyway.

First thing you need to do when you start using etl is to add ETL to windows exceptions.

Instruction how to do it :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26

This is how it looks like on my PC (warning!! polish language lol) :

34664.thumb.png.2d558c869c05eac59046a0f11b8caa26.png

When you have it done, now you need to do the same in your antivirus firewall or in any other protection if you have any ( I don't )

Now you should be able to do screenshots , record demos etc

And when you have problem to play demos, just make sure that demo file has .dm_84 and if it doesnt just change it. 😄 

ohh and when you still can't watch demos, try /cvarrestart and then try to watch it, just make sure you have your config saved lol

(it can happened when you use old 2.60 config and it fu**ks up etl )

so :

1. run etl

2. /cvarrestart

3. load mod

4. run demo

5. exec your config while watching demo

Edit :

I can see now that there is a solution to your problem right under your first post. 

I'm still not used to new forum looooooooool😁

Edited by Siwex89