Lower power, cheap graphics card..

Chuckun

I've never really looked at 'cheap graphics' 'cause I never thought it was worth it.. But now I'm on a really tight budget and literally have to watch my electricity usage..

I have an old desktop I made years ago, and it's got something like 100-120watt PSU.. Which is very low as last time I was upgrading graphics cards, it took me to 350watt PSU's :P

But yeah.. I need to upgrade to something better than the current OB integrated intel graphics chip, which will run off my current PSU... I realise my options will be limited to poor quality graphics, but anything's better than nothing really..

I was just wondering if any of you guys know of any low-power graphics cards which arent too bad?

Chuckun

It depends how much amperage your psu can put out. (also post the specs of your computer including the brand of PSU)

Also don't go for the most bottom end cards because they will actually work worse than intergrated graphics =P (like the 9400GT and HD 4350 was worse than my laptop with intergrated intel x3100. Lol ahh the nightmares trying to play CS: source on my cousins comp =P)

Hmm well i built this computer about 4 years ago lol.. It's all boxed up at the moment following a recent move, so i'll have to dig it out to check for specifics, 'cause I really cant remember most of it..

The PSU is a max output of 100 maybe 120 watts..

Doing that calculator though, it says i need a minimum of 165w, recommended 220w.. for my current setup =/

But i've not had any problems with it and i'm running it on 100w lol.. No cooking, no strain, nothing.. So I don't have much faith in that calculator >.<

Ah, I just checked, and actually, I forgot I did upgrade my PSU to install a decent soundcard (cant live without music).. So it's actually got a max output of 220watts :) My mistake!

Shame it's a shitty Dell part though >.< (as is most of this computer)

Oh and I'm seeing 17amp and 15amp written on the output figures too..

Hey detoren :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked into it and it seems great but amd say: "400 Watt or greater power supply recommended"..

I can't afford to be delving into the realms of replacing PSU's too, so I really need something that'll run on my current PSU..

I guess what I need to do here is check how much power my current setup uses (I can check on my leccy meter if I switch everything else off), and check how much different graphics cards actually use.. That way I can see if it'll run on my 220w psu >.<

Thanks for all the help... One more thing, is there anything particular that i need to consider when buying a graphics card? I've never done this properly..

Chuckun

EDIT:

I notice here that AMD say 'maximum board power 39watts' at the bottom.. Are they trying to say that this will use 39 watts? o.0 that's thrown me..

Hey guys.. I can get the nVidia GeForce 8400 GS for £20.. And a GeForce 7600 GS for £25

Any comments on these cards? Pretty sure they need a higher amperage though.. =/ I need to test the amperage of the current PSU properly..

Chuck