external hard drive

Tonka

I am thinking of getting an ext hard drive to store pics and back up my pc, just looking for something not too expensive. Any opinions if this is good idea, and what kind would be good, seagate, western digital? How do I know if my pc will power it through the usb?

It's always a good idea to have multiple backups of your data. Remember that having just one copy of a file is not considered a backup. It might help us more if you gave a price range and what your looking to get out of it. Do you want it networked or just connected directly to the computer etc? Also what type of interface are you looking for anyway? Firewire 400/800, USB2, USB3, eSATA?

I'm running a 1TB western digital MyBookWorld network drive for the 3 computers I have just as a backup. I'm not overly impressed with it and if it's left on to long, it makes some kind of strange screeching sound. I think it's one of the fans. Either way, I'd stay off of them.

If your looking for something small and portable, I've heard the Western Digital passport external HDD's are fairly decent at a good price.

• Administrators

I got 2 1tb external wd hdd, they come with their own power supplies, i got them at a sale for 150. If that is to pricey you can always add another hdd in comp and use it as backup, the only reason i use external hdd's is because of work. Otherwise all my personal stuff is backed up in the internal hdd's.

try lookin on ebay , i had a 1tb wd exdrive for back up i got my for 109 they are going for 89.99 now http://cgi.ebay.com/New-WD-1TB-eSATA-USB2-0-External-Hard-Drive-Combo-/280559415159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4152a4ef77 , in till i got my nas server . i ratter go with a Esata connection so your speeds wont drop as much .