New config leads to mute

Scortch

Hey and Howdy to one and all.

I've been playing on your ET#2 server for a few months now. The caliber of play is awesome. Nothing has improved my game as much as playing here has. A player on your server is either quick or dead. My thanks to all of the =F|A= members and to the admins especially. I have a Great time playing here.

That said, I did run into a little trouble today...

Allow me to explain:

I was browsing your forums and was reading the topic here http://fearless-assa...light-up-enemy/

I thought I might like to try the settings mentioned in it and noticed that some folks were recommending just downloading sheep's config. There was even a link provided to the script. ( http://www.crossfire...de=view&id=5107 ). So I downloaded the config and installed it...

...maybe I did something wrong or maybe I should have just looked at what I was installing a little closer...

...anyway, This config must be a (bad) joke, as after running it, my name was changed to 'the worst player in history' . The config also made a lot of "noise" of some sort because I was muted almost immediately . I also couldn't move or shoot...I don't know what else it did because I exited the game before the config got me in more trouble.

I was only trying to improve my game time, not to mess up my config and end up muted.

I'm pretty sure I can fix my config without too much trouble... live and learn I guess. (perpetual noob)

I would ask that I please be un-muted. I'm really not sure what happened, but it was sheep's config, not I (other than I installed and ran it without looking), that did it. (wtf did happen? can someone explain?)

Sorry for any trouble my error might have caused.

:stupid

The config isn't a joke, all you need to do is know how it works...

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

Upon further inspection I can see where I made mistake. I didn't notice the new "autoexec" button on the startup screen. Had I looked I might have saved myself some trouble. Instead I rushed right into a game and execed the new autoexec.cfg right from the console. I am guessing that doing this is what caused all of the noise and other confusion (all on my part).

The config is good. I was in error for not noticing the new button. Had I noticed the button I could have made the changes that were nessasary to make the config my own.

There is much more to this config than I expected. I was expecting some changes in the resolution of the game, this config goes well beyond that.

I still don't understand how I ended up muted.

Is there a readme or help file associated with this config?

Yeah I was the one who muted you.. this was after you changed your name to scortch and spamming :) <- that smiley face

then alot of other people started crying saying unmute him, well you know what the rules are #no spamming so I had to

If you would of stayed a little longer I would of unmuted you

now you know to make sure of what you download and what buttons your pressing when execing a config

If I were I would make my own config it's not that hard after knowing what each cvar does, there a list in tutorial I believe

• Clan Friend

from sheep's cfg (towards the end):

bind	q	"say ^2:^7("
bind	w	"say ^2:^7)"
bind	e	"say ^2:^7\"

:lol

anyway, I think you should never use another players' config if you don't know what it does, just learn to make your own or maybe learn some basics, so that you can at least check a config you download from obvious problems

Some configs (I don't mean that one) could even have cheat cvars or forbidden stuff that could even make you banned in some places, think about it

edit:

you probably got muted because everytime you tried to move forward you worte a smiley, so you basically spammed while trying to move :D

What's more, that cfg is full of etpro cvars that you don't need unless you play etpro

i had this experience before and start color message spam and vsay spam, tried working around with it and explained to present admins that time that I was still fixing my new downloaded config coz they have to !unmute me a few times due to spam :lol

Some configs (I don't mean that one) could even have cheat cvars or forbidden stuff that could even make you banned in some places, think about it

This is very true.

Always look through a new config before playing with it.

from sheep's cfg (towards the end):

bind	q	"say ^2:^7("
bind	w	"say ^2:^7)"
bind	e	"say ^2:^7\"

:lol

anyway, I think you should never use another players' config if you don't know what it does, just learn to make your own or maybe learn some basics, so that you can at least check a config you download from obvious problems

edit:

you probably got muted because everytime you tried to move forward you worte a smiley, so you basically spammed while trying to move :D

What's more, that cfg is full of etpro cvars that you don't need unless you play etpro

Looks like the joke is on me ...What a way to introduce myself to the forum.

Well played indeed. :app:

Lesson learned. Rest assured that this is a mistake I will not be repeating. Thanks for the help and the advice.

I really should have looked closer at the config before running with it.

• Clan Friend

Looks like the joke is on me ...What a way to introduce myself to the forum.

I just tried to help by telling you why you spammed :P

feel free to ask for infos about how to improve your config, and welcome to F|A forums :cheers