Host File Block bad urls

Roboes

Hi everyone,

This is probably not a new idea for many, but i thought Id reintroduce the use of windows "host file"

to auto block malicious sites on any app, browser etc, at the system lvl,

It assigns an ip to whatever domain , either 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 the latter being better, ill explain later.

Basically, the site is blocked, bye bye, and ads, e.g. youtube banner blocked in my browser.

So, the host file is located:

C:/Windows/sys32/drivers/etc/host.

1. properties, uncheck read only, apply

2. Once you have a blocklist host file for instance:  http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm , you basically copy contents

and paste into existing host file.

*******NOTE: open your host file with notepad, however run notepad as admin******

3. save host.

4. Properties reapply read only.

G2g,

Now, there are many sites for sample hosts, programs like spybot SD that auto add sites to ur host, +1.

If I get an ad, I copy and paste url in a txt file and now and then add them manually to my host file,

Simple, type in notepad:         badsite   [TAB]  0.0.0.0

Now, I suggest using the 0.0.0.0 rather than 127.0.0.1 bc the latter is a loopback and can cause slow connection, but 0 ip is great.

iIf host file format is 127.0.0.1, use replace function in notepad to 0.0.0.0

And, as a bonus I thought I'd post my host file to share in the ad blocking of the world.

Also, anyone who already using host files, post yours, so I can catch any sites that i may be missing.

For those who dont use this, itll improve your security.

Well, goodluck.

Roboes

hosts 5_21_17.txt

• Like 2

Glad to see this! Very good advice. :)

I would like to point out a few things:
-Blocking domains this way requires manual updates... Spybot S&D and many other programs will automate this for you and update the blacklist everyday.
-I would not set the hosts file as read-only to avoid confusion when it comes time to update the blacklist, or in case a program requires access. This is a good prevention for over-zealous antivirus programs and some viruses however.

A program, like Hostman can stil access host file, run as admin though. Spybot Sd has a small host file, but mvps has a nice one, best to combine them.

• 1 month later...