Best Ways To Reduce Lag

Ace

Hi :D.I will show you the best ways to reduce lag.I always use these and get below 100 ping.Here they are.

/cl_maxpackets 100

/rate 25000

/snaps 40

/com_maxfps 85

Ctrl+Alt+Delete,Open Task Manager,Go To Processes,End The Bad/Useless Processes.

Scan your computer for viruses,trojans,spyware,bugs,riskware.Fix them immediately after.

Defragment your Hard Drives

Close Background Applications/Processes

Disable Unnecessary Drivers and Windows Services

Lower Resolution

Lower Audio

Download Gamebooster,Tweak Settings,Reduce Ping

Download Device Doctor,Update Your Drivers For FREE

Hope This Helped :D

I will update it if I find out more :)

Hi :D.I will show you the best ways to reduce lag.I always use these and get below 100 ping.Here they are.

/cl_maxpackets 100

/rate 25000

/snaps 40

/com_maxfps 85

I agree with most of it. snaps is locked to 20 on the servers. Also cl_maxpackets and com_maxfps can have different effects from player to player. cl_maxpackets 100 can really lag someone out if their graphics card or CPU just ends up overloaded with info from the server. But someone with brand new computer and high-speed internet could get a boost from it. Same with com_maxfps. Lower fps will give many players less lag, in general, but again it varies.

Players should experiment with different combinations of cl_maxpackets and com_maxfps to see what works best for them.

Also cl_packetdup 0 cuts the amount of info you are sending to the server by half.

r_lodbias 2 and r_mode 3 can help if you have an old computer and need a performance boost by reducing the load on your graphics card.

The best lag reducer of all is /pb_sleep 500.

• Clan Friend

snaps should be the same as sv_fps, that is 20.

the server will never send you more than that.

cl_maxpackets and com_maxfps can have different effects from player to player. cl_maxpackets 100 can really lag someone out if their graphics card or CPU just ends up overloaded with info from the server

cl_maxpackets = how many packets the client can *send* to the server, not receive.

every frame a new client command is generated, let's say that I have 125 fps and 100 maxpackets.

1000/125 = 8, so with 125 fps I will have a frame every 8 milliseconds.

cl_maxpackets means: don't send a new packet to the server, if the previous one was sent less than 1000/cl_maxpackets milliseconds, in this case 1000/100 = 10 so:

the 1st frame is sent, after that (8ms later) since 8ms 10 so it will send both the old (stored) command and the new.

This means that a player with 100 maxpackets and 125 fps will send 125/2 packets per second (around 62). So it's not a matter of cpu or gfx card, it's just an internet thing, because the cpu usage for sending a packet is negligible.

The purpose of using that command is not to send the header of the message every time, but I think 99% of players can handle 100 maxpackets.

----

rate = how much bandwidth the server can *send to you*, again this is a *maximum* value, in a server with few players I can set a huge value, but that doesn't mean I will download at that speed from the server. It will just tell the server not to send snapshots too often if I don't want a bandwidth higher than that.

r_lodbias 2 and r_mode 3 can help if you have an old computer and need a performance boost by reducing the load on your graphics card.

I would say very old computer, my old graphics card gave me the same fps regardless of r_picmip and r_mode. Record a short demo, possibly in a low fps situation, then from the main et menu do:

/timedemo 1

and replay that demo. It will go as fast as possible, and tell you how much average fps you do, if you change r_mode and it makes more fps then go for it, otherwise it's useless. It's a good benchmark to tweak the graphics config and see if some setting change gives you more fps or not.

It would be nice if we all used the same demo, so in the forum we could say how much fps we make, and compare our pcs and configs.

Another thing I could suggest, for people with multicore cpus, is to move et to one core and all pb services to the other.

When I played on windows (xp) I used a free tool called winafc. I had to make a config, then it would move all processes automatically. I think it is important, because every map change they could go back to the other cpu core, as far as I remember.

Never tried that on linux, since I think it's way more efficient than windows in managing that.

last but not least, if you have a high ping to the server from outside the game (i.e. ping command, getstatus from server browsers etc.) then your internet sux and/or you live too far from the server, so you can never have a good one ingame.

• Like 2

Honestly, the best way to reduce lag is:

1st; Get a new computer or new parts. If this doesn't work go with the 2nd.

2nd; Move closer to the server you want better ping on. The closer you are, the less distance your information has to travel; thus, better ping/much less lag. If this is out of the option...

last but not least, if you have a high ping to the server from outside the game (i.e. ping command, getstatus from server browsers etc.) then your internet sux and/or you live too far from the server, so you can never have a good one ingame.

@Sunlight - thanks for the detailed info. I have more questions (now that I've found someone who knows what they are talking about).

What do you think about smoothclients? I read that it can mislead you when you shoot because it extrapolates where the enemy was based on server-side prediction. So you could be shooting at a guy who has moved the other way in a firefight.

What do you think about com_hunkmegs? How much RAM can ET utilize? I usually keep it at 256 but I set to 512 and it seems better, but maybe it is a placebo effect.

What do you think about cl_mouseaccel? I usually use 0.05 or 0.10 with a Razer mouse. I keep the Windows enhanced mouse precision turned off, and the Razer configurator acc off, and I use the cl_mouseaccel in ET instead. It seems to give me the smoothest accel, better than Windows or Razer lol.

• Clan Friend

@Sunlight - thanks for the detailed info. I have more questions (now that I've found someone who knows what they are talking about).

What do you think about smoothclients? I read that it can mislead you when you shoot because it extrapolates where the enemy was based on server-side prediction. So you could be shooting at a guy who has moved the other way in a firefight.

What do you think about com_hunkmegs? How much RAM can ET utilize? I usually keep it at 256 but I set to 512 and it seems better, but maybe it is a placebo effect.

What do you think about cl_mouseaccel? I usually use 0.05 or 0.10 with a Razer mouse. I keep the Windows enhanced mouse precision turned off, and the Razer configurator acc off, and I use the cl_mouseaccel in ET instead. It seems to give me the smoothest accel, better than Windows or Razer lol.

I aint no et guru, I can only say what I know, sometimes what I guessed or heard... ok:

g_smoothclients

That's an interesting question, I don't know which mod we are talking about, for example on etpub that server cvar has been 'removed' (made useless), on etpro it's still there, but they say antilag compensates for that, on jaymod I don't know. It all depends on how good is the antilag algorithm, if it takes everything into account, so that you can aim at what you see...

on a test etpro server with 0 spread, I tried running together with a player and aiming at the head, it was 100% headshot, didn't try it when he changed direction, of course, since I don't have ultrafast reflexes. I don't know if tests on a server with slower timescale would be realistic or not.

Unluckily, it's impossible to unlag demos (well, you can always write a mod to copy enemies positions from x snapshots ago, but that won't be the 'real' thing), I tried recording a game I played without antilag (again on etpro) and in the demo everytime it was hs hitsound, the bullet trail went right trough the head, maybe 10% or less of the times it was slightly off, but I think it's due to the fact that players can move even in-between server snapshots, so maybe it was hs, then the player moved a little before the server sent the snapshots.

I also made tests with that debug antilag setting which shows both white and red hitboxes when you hit the player (again on etpro), I don't remember that cvar atm.

In the end I think etpro hitboxes are good, ppl whine because of random spread, placebo, etc. but in reality hitboxes and antilag do their job imho.

com_hunkmegs

I don't think there is a maximum, but you can still do a /meminfo during the game, to see how much you are actually using.

as regards cl_mouseaccel, the reason why almost nobody uses it (never seen in any 'pro' player config) is (imho) this:

during a fight, the 2 basic movements (both important) you need to master are:

1. tracking

2. point and shoot

the 2nd is obviously useful to give that fast headshot at the start of the fight, which is vital against strong players, and it's also useful in other cases (aiming back at the enemy after a mistake or a lag, rifle or pistol fights, etc.).

Without accel of any kind (mouse, os, drivers, game) to move from point a to b on your screen you have to move x cm on your table, regardless of your mouse speed. x cm = y degrees.

Instead, if you play with accel, there is a combination of distance+speed, thus making it harder for your brain to learn the movement, and doing it 'automatically'.

Maybe if you keep practicing, you will eventually master it, but I think it is harder in any case, because controlling the speed of a very fast movement is harder than controlling just the distance.

And after all, what's the advantage of having mouseaccel? Just being able to widen the range between the fastest and slowest movement you can do? Better choosing a suitable mouse sensitivity imho.

There is another thing to consider: let's say you play with cg_fov = 120, you have 60 degrees from the middle of your screen to the edge, but 30 degrees is not in the middle of that! It's almost 1/3 from the middle, due to the projection on the 2d screen. If you add accel to this, your brain will be even more confused.

Even without accel, to aim at the edge (60 degrees in our example) you have to make a movement which is 2 times the one you do to aim 30 degrees. But in your screen that distance is 3 times as big! So you must move less the more you move away from your crosshair. Maybe you could use negative accel to compensate this, and move always the same amount, but I have never heard about anyone using it lol... too crazy...

sorry for the text wall :)

com_hunkmegs: 128 should be enought in any situations.

About cl_mouseacc, it really is your own decision what you like to use. Some players are comfortable with some acc, some, like me, want to disable all acc.

Btw just curious, why do you want to use acceleration? Old habit or some other reason?

P.S. Picture about com_maxfps and cl_maxpackets relations(pls dont use it to make urself unhittable): http://www.challenge-tv.com/putty/q3table.html

P.P.S. After SunLight breaking mouseacc thing down, I'll post this video:

Thats why I don't want any accel, because it really is easier to just think(becomes automatic with time) how much u need to move ur mouse so crosshair will move x amount on screen. Don't want any software delays there. And as I'm saying this, I'll throw out little challenge: try to swap fast AND accurately to different points on map WITH accel. It's hard.

But after all, if you just keep practising to play with accel, its same/almoust same than playing without it, but what is the point to waste time to reach something that can be learned much faster by just disabling one thing :)

Edited by BossHK

I like a little bit of accel so I don't have to whip my mouse hand around a lot when I am playing shooter games. Also, it is a crutch since my reflexes are not as good as when I was 20 (or 30 lol). I tweak my config and study everything about the game to compensate.

I can get 400 hits on Reflex on a good day, when I'm sober and had a good night's sleep and some coffee, using my fancy expensive mouse. I don't use any mouse accel on Reflex and it works better than using accel. So I know acceleration is not always needed.

But with reflex you don't have to make 180 degree turns when someone is shooting you, like you do in ET. So I use accel in ET to help me make those sudden moves needed in ET. 0.05 is really light, you won't overshoot the target, just get there faster.

• Clan Friend

@bosshk:

ok so com_maxfps 110 :P joking... anyway you can see who lags and who doesn't.

nice video, that's the way I test my mouse sens, only that I suck.

to summarize it:

technique = reflexes + movement control

since reflexes can't (?) be improved, you have to practice hard on control, and accel is bad for that.

@phantasm:

then you should bind a faster speed just for turning.

I am using a slower sens recently (32 cm for a 360). Well, if compared to the one bosshk uses it's fast lol, I think it feels better than my old one, I just have to be more tactical, and aim in advance at the places where enemies can come from, which I did already, and I don't have ultrafast reflexes anymore. (provided that I had them when I started playing et)

I rarelly need to do big turns. But still I can do a 180 without any script, and that's all I need.

Actually, 2 years ago I played better than now and I had 18cm/360, so it's also about the way you hold your mouse (I don't rest my palm on it) and muscle memory, and because I was younger, only I suggest you to try without accel and see, maybe it will help your 'point and shoot' aim a bit.

• Like 1

@phantasm:

then you should bind a faster speed just for turning.

I am using a slower sens recently (32 cm for a 360). Well, if compared to the one bosshk uses it's fast lol, I think it feels better than my old one, I just have to be more tactical, and aim in advance at the places where enemies can come from, which I did already, and I don't have ultrafast reflexes anymore. (provided that I had them when I started playing et)

I rarelly need to do big turns. But still I can do a 180 without any script, and that's all I need.

Actually, 2 years ago I played better than now and I had 18cm/360, so it's also about the way you hold your mouse (I don't rest my palm on it) and muscle memory, and because I was younger, only I suggest you to try without accel and see, maybe it will help your 'point and shoot' aim a bit.

I use a m_yaw script actually. So if I am moving left or right I can turn a bit faster, like in a firefight. I tried this with a sens adjustment too, but found m_yaw was better since I have a cg_fov/sens toggle and it became spaghetti code trying to apply the sens changes to different keys.

//fastleft

unbind a

bind a "+vstr a1 a2"

set a1 "+moveleft; m_yaw 0.024"

set a2 "-moveleft; m_yaw 0.020"

//fastright

unbind d

bind d "+vstr d1 d2"

set d1 "+moveright; m_yaw 0.024"

set d2 "-moveright; m_yaw 0.020"

• Like 2