Pic of the Day 06.08.19

DJ aka GDR DJ

• Leader

I was amused by the dogs and their owners ignoring that sign, until I noticed the "Except for approved goose patrol dogs".  I thought, "WTH is a goose patrol dog?", and asked my friend google, which found the minutes from "A Grosse Pointe Shores Parks Committee meeting was held on Tuesday, May 7, 2019  ".  That PDF did not help much either.

The first links found for "goose patrol dogs" was for artificial dogs who 'move when the wind blows' and keeps the geese away.  I found that very confusing, thinking that the committee did not want 'fake dogs' in the park, either! :?: 

Then I found sites that offer a "goose patrol dog" service to "haze away" geese from properties.  The dogs harass the geese by chasing them.  ("Haze" is not usually used like this in the USA.  Maybe it is a Canadian influence?  Grosse Point is on the US side of Lake St. Clair)

It turns out that their historical problem was that geese were pooping all over and biting people.  I suspect that they at first like their citizens to bring their dogs to the lake-shore, which would keep the geese away.  They then got tired of the dogs pooping all over and biting people.  It is not clear if they are going to pay for a "dog patrol" service or that they will allow people to bring their own trained Goose-chasing dogs to the park.  

2 hours ago, DJ aka GDR DJ said:

grddnojz.jpg

ProblemSolution2.jpg

Maybe the dogs are trained to not only chase geese, but also to not bite people and to not "poop all over".  Here is a 'volunteer goose poop dog patrol' organisation:

AVGP_Image.jpg

Now I am wondering if those dogs in the sign-pic went to the park on their own.  Most of them cannot read very well.  

• Leader

I am sending a copy of Vindstot's last pic to my dog-grooming nephew.  I will say that it is good that he does not have to handle cats.

• Like 1