=F|A= Golfers Thread - Setups & Discussion

madmike

Anyone else here play?  Post your setups and discuss all things golf!

First off, I 3D printed my own ball marks and posted about them in this thread.  If you want a couple for yourself, post there!  I can print almost any design you want.

I started golfing when I was pretty young, probably around 12 or so.  I enjoyed it, played off and on here and there until about last year, when I really started playing a lot.  Now I get out to the course to hit balls or play a round 4-5 days every week and I am really loving it.  Luckily the nicer course by me has a really affordable membership that allows me to play a ton without breaking the bank.

Last year was definitely my best year of golf.  I was consistently shooting low 80s playing multiple times a week.  My best score was a 77.  This year I've been a ton more inconsistent.  Currently I'm shooting about mid 80s and up to 90 on a really bad day.  I've been really struggling with a slice on my drives this year, but I think I fixed it this past weekend.  My last two rounds were the best of this year.  Currently my handicap is about 12.  I use the SwingU app (free) to track my scores, real time yardage on the course, and it calculates my handicap for me.

My Bag:

• Driver: Cobra HS9
  • Irons: TaylorMade 200 - Stiff Shafts
  • Grips: Golf Pride
  • Wedge(s): Lob - Callaway Gold Big Bertha (hate it.  need to replace)
  • Putter: Ping Zing 2
  • Balls: Srixon Soft Feel
  • Glove: FootJoy StaSof
  • Shoes:  Puma Ignite Spikeless

I scored most of my current bag on a craigslist buy about 1.5 years ago.  Definitely an old school set of irons, but I really like them and I can hit them almost as well as my brother's new Taylormade M3s.  I want to get more consistent with my shooting before buying a new set.  I had a set of Callaway X-20s before this, but they didn't really suit my swing and I played less because it was frustrating.   

So anyways, post your bags and any and everything else about golf!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

hey madmike, great to see someone else actually plays a round or two...

old school scratch golfer here. was somewhat competitive a few years ago but play it now more for socializing and corporate events.

using an old set of re-gripped callaway irons, a Ti Ping 'prototype' driver and a taylormade 3 wood. my taylormade 7 wood is my fav, an actual wood head and stiff shaft that have provided me with 2 lucky hole-in-ones so far.

two current sets of shoes footjoy, and a pair of spikeless lightweight adidas that are more like running shoes.

lastly my trusted Scotty Cameron putter given as a birthday gift. flawless putts...almost.

and yes, I am a lefty lol

Broken-Arrow-Golf-Club88888.jpg.24337ffe52329cf4f2bb1c757b4809d5.jpg

Edited by L3ftY.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

Hey madmike! L3fty! Love it!  Actually just started swinging some new sticks here after using Ping i3’s for quite some

time.

Decided to go with Taylormade M2’s.

Driver:  2017 M2 - 10.5 / Fujikura graphite shaft

Hybrid: 5h Fujikura graphite shaft

Irons: 4-AW

Putter: Odyssey 2-ball with SuperStroke grips

Shoes: Nike

Don’t get to play as much as I would like to.  And even when I can right now it is just brutally hot.  Have a public course that is my go to and a private that I play on occasion.  

Recently played in a tournament at the beach on a course called Kiva Dunes.  First time playing by the sound of waves.  Was amazing.

57B53718-A619-4F0A-9CCD-4C10CE1BAF3B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, L3ftY. said:

hey madmike, great to see someone else actually plays a round or two...

old school scratch golfer here. was somewhat competitive a few years ago but play it now more for socializing and corporate events.

using an old set of re-gripped callaway irons, a Ti Ping 'prototype' driver and a taylormade 3 wood. my taylormade 7 wood is my fav, an actual wood head and stiff shaft that have provided me with 2 lucky hole-in-ones so far.

lastly my trusted Scotty Cameron putter given as a birthday gift. flawless putts...almost.

and yes, I am a lefty lol

Nice!  I'm definitely not a scratch golfer yet, but hope to get there! 

I still haven't hit a hole in one.  2 is amazing! 

My Uncle just told me he has a couple Scotty's he doesn't use and said I could have one.  Can't wait to get it!

On 7/19/2019 at 9:51 PM, MaxPower said:

Hey madmike! L3fty! Love it!  Actually just started swinging some new sticks here after using Ping i3’s for quite some

time.

Decided to go with Taylormade M2’s.

Yeah, I really like TaylorMade clubs.  I'll probably end up with M3s or M5s when I finally buy a new set.

• 4 months later...

Got to play a few holes today for the first time in a while.  Turned out to be a great day. Only lost 4 balls.

4E7E5B87-3056-4460-833A-8702C6EDFEA9.jpeg

Edited by MaxPower
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

• 7 months later...

Nice to see some golfers here!

Been playing since high school and played competitively in JC. Once held a 2 handicap, but that was a long time ago. Probably about 8-10 now not sure...don't play enough.

I play a TaylorMade R15 driver, Calaway X fairway woods, TM RSI2 irons, Cleveland wedges, Ping Anser 2 milled putter and Titleist Pro V1 balls.

Have only played twice since last August's fusion surgery, but felt some strength back and hoping to get out more in the near future.

Edited by Gameplan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gameplan said:

Nice to see some golfers here!

Been playing since high school and played competitively in JC. Once held a 2 handicap, but that was a long time ago. Probably about 8-10 now not sure...don't play enough.

I play a TaylorMade R15 driver, Calaway X fairway woods, TM RSI2 irons, Cleveland wedges, Ping Anser 2 milled putter and Titleist Pro V1 balls.

Have only played twice since last August's fusion surgery, but felt some strength back and hoping to get out more in the near future.

Dude!  Playing in JC probably makes you the best golfer here even after the surgery!  Hope you find your way back soon.  Haven't played since early March and am dying to go again.  

17 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Dude!  Playing in JC probably makes you the best golfer here even after the surgery!  Hope you find your way back soon.  Haven't played since early March and am dying to go again.  

LOL! The weather is ripe, get off the PC and play :)

You in AL and me in TX, we should meet up at the Golden Nugget in LA - Stayed there last year, and the course looked nice from my hotel window.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:51 PM, MaxPower said:

Recently played in a tournament at the beach on a course called Kiva Dunes.  First time playing by the sound of waves.  Was amazing.

That's a sweet looking course! If I ever make it out that way, will have to play it.

Since you mentioned the sound of waves, I've played quite a few coastal courses growing up in SoCal. Probably very spoiled my JC home course was Torrey Pines :)

1 hour ago, Gameplan said:

LOL! The weather is ripe, get off the PC and play :)

You in AL and me in TX, we should meet up at the Golden Nugget in LA - Stayed there last year, and the course looked nice from my hotel window.

hey man let's do it.  I was in Santa Clara for NC game two years ago and got to visit Pebble Beach.  It was storming the entire time so didn't get to play, but I stopped by at least!

IMG_0555_editedx.thumb.jpg.9cbf1c7dbddbc839b5c96b4ffa2f21f7.jpg

7 hours ago, MaxPower said:

hey man let's do it.  I was in Santa Clara for NC game two years ago and got to visit Pebble Beach.  It was storming the entire time so didn't get to play, but I stopped by at least!

haha, I did the same when I was up there back in '90. Could have played for $100 back then, but it was too expensive for my college budget. Man, I wish I'd made a different decision back then. Now I can afford it, but probably can't get on. Was in Maui a coulple years back and had the choice between the plantation course or Wailea. I chose Wailea, and had a great time, but should have played both! Played Ko'olau on Oahu prior and it was stellar...rained the entire time and balls plugged in the fairway, but crazy scenic. I think they filmed one of the jurassic parks up there.472514643_IMG_0578_edited-2(2).thumb.jpg.48f64d87f57bd895c51ea7fe551e6631.jpg

IMG_1606.JPG

Edited by Gameplan