Can some one please help me, I'm making a map :D

laggermcjagger

It can be done to much isn't the question it's the desire to do it that will determine the outcome of completing it. It's not abandoning of a idea if you make beta versions of a map to work up to the idea to start with. Tho it is complicated your goal is advanced for a beginner and you have gone from nothing to modeling which is a lot more then I did when I was growing up cause there was no applications available at the time back then it was just shaders.

If you take baby steps first to get use to it all you will eventually take leaps through things once you can handle the coding part. Besides the coding its getting use to the entities abilities that your able to apply syncing them with the codes that is what your going to be running into a lot of. Just a reminder that every target has a trigger and ever trigger has a scriptname from a object sometimes this object can be confusing cause it will require a Origin brush converted to trigger_objective_info . Not all entities are linked in Radiant they are mostly linked in the scripting part of the code with a target and once you've targeted these scriptnames you can trigger entities that are connected with targetnames to parts of the script by targeting the sub parts of the script with target.

It's like learning a new language that you've never spoken before so it will take some time to get the handle of it. I've been doing it sense doom and duke nukem was made sense the early 90's still not that great at it but I understand it. I didn't graduate from College or even go to school to do coding it's just something I picked up on as a kid growing up for fun. Which I think has helped me a great deal cause I had no teacher to tell me how to do it correct and I found a lot of ways not to do things before dial up was even out so you can see the learning I had was much more difficult there was no google or even bing. Duke Nukem was hard but managable after a while the map building was sourced from inside the console in the game.

Another thing you will be learning how to do and not even realize your learning it is how to write html jscript you'll be able to pick up on web development and program data sourcing for applications and that you've already got modeling down your right around the corner of building flash applications and web animation.

And your question was do I think it is to much the simplest answer for me would be to say no cause their is knowledge you've yet gained to make it easier.

• Like 1

Thank you DD, I'll keep this all under consideration. I might go ahead and work on other projects I wanted to do, with much simpler objs. Thanks. I'll have to think about my approach to this. Thank you.

I've been getting interviews, what not... I might start an internship soon. There's alot going on at the moment. 

Here prefab generator for tanks, trucks, cp UJE has same thing if not mistaken just this is a direct page with it.

http://www.ruizzz.nl/prefabgenerator/index.php

If you use the spawn prefab give it a name you can remember cause that will be the name you use in scripting to trigger show hide remove for this would be the proper way to assert forward spawn points. If you use a toggle spawn or capture flag it would be different and more complex to explain these are some extra commands setautospawn and alertentity

Here is also a md3 model viewer that will give you count of vertices a more detailed viewer. I think it's 3.1.1 not with sources but with the binaries

http://assimp.sourceforge.net/main_viewer.html 

Oh as for that model I used to make the md3 for my avatar was a md3 from Alcatraz.pk3 if you notice I added the wrong folder but will leave it cause never know may need the model it is the same as the player md3 but all in one not separate models.

• Like 1

I only use 3ds for optimizing and vertice count. So that will be useful. Thank you.  I'll start simple. I'll try making a very simple obj, and so on.  Thanks for the awesome advice, help. I'll keep with it. Maybe a little less often as I may be taking on an internship soon.

Some one gave me an incredible prefab of a button, moving obj. So I have a moving pillar somewhat. I still have to play around with it and change the models, scripts around. But, it's coming along. I also have an awesome elevator prefab that I can use if I want to.

I have a working script. I can move objs by touch now...but I don't know how to set correct origins yet and that needs to be done because when I click on the pillar it returns to it's original origin point on the other side of the world. 

Use 1.4 to get radiant to auto set origin location if that is what you mean about xyz if your unfamiliar with the layout of the grid for a origin brush usually with 1.4 it will set it first put it where you want it and copy the coords and key origin before converting it to a entity or open it with the old one and place it and get coords. x is linear y is vertical z is diagonal.

When radiant opens you get Y and X you go with Y location top then hit shift and tab then you get Z and X you get Z at top then next hit shift and tab X top a round about guess from the top of my head they might be center locations of the top of a brush but most times I just use old radiant. It's like a rotating entity with origin it just need to connect to the model where you want it to operate.

• Like 1

Well it's done. I have a moving statue now. Pretty cool, but my audio file I've selected for it doesn't work. Any ideas why that may be? I said it as .wav format through audacity. It just doesn't play any sound at all.  This script isn't entirely mine yet. I edited it, cut out what I didn't want or need, and kept what I wanted and needed , still needs cleaned up...but no sound. 

// ======================================================
// --------------------Taken from DIE ANTERWINDE--------------------
// -----------------MADE BY -)A(-WuTang**----------------

move1
{
spawn
{

}

trigger allstart
{
wm_announce "Allies have discovered the secret passage into the tunnels."
trigger palette start1
wait 11000
wait 3000
}

trigger allgoback
{
trigger palette back
wait 8000

}

trigger go_down
{

}
}

palette
{
spawn
{
}

trigger start1
{
playsound sound\movers\motors/pillar.wav looping volume 1024
gotomarker path2_pri 50 wait
stopsound
}

trigger back
{
playsound sound\movers\motors/pillar.wav looping volume 1024
gotomarker path1_pri 50 wait
stopsound
}
}
Edited by laggermcjagger

There is a lot of ways to Set target Entity either using Radiant or In game 

You add a target_speaker in Radiant

keys

press N set to activate for that person or global for every one

scriptname samename 

targetname samename

Noise path/to/sounds/noise.wav

volume 255 is default 65k is max

In entity there is activate which is 

use in part of a script that has  a name then 

enablespeaker samename

disablespeaker samename

in map script after

game_manager

{Spawn

{

somecode

}

}

//targetname and scriptname

samename

{

spawn

{

wait 500 //miliseconds

enablespeaker samename //targetname & scriptname

wait 10000 //is 10 secs 30 is max unless you use a modified speaker in game

disablespeaker samename //targetname & scriptname

}

}

and if your targetname is part of a model target to the model in the speaker and use 

trigger samename start

and trigger samename stop // think its for looped sound ;)

probably best to do the md3's with the radiant cause sometime in game can lose the speakers when compiling.

But use in console in Game for other type of speaker for ambient sounds 

set developer 1

editspeakers

dumpspeaker

modifyspeaker

use mouse aim at  speaker type modifyspeaker

add sound path volume level and target name use same as above just fill it in properly and target it in map.script some where can be used at the start of the map in game manager.

dirctions here http://www.pythononline.co.uk/et/tutorial10.htm

here is a pic of what it will look like when you see it 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8gNLkPANLuxb1FOa0Q2WmNucm8/view

a .sps file will be written when you do a dumpspeaker if not mistaken sometimes this file gets lost.

This file is in a specific folder to add to game as well in a script with out even having to open et or radiant like so.

etmain/

etmain/sound

etmain/sound/map    //<--- name of the map

etmain/sound/map/mapname.sps  //<---- the sps

here's a picture do mind the script points to the sound folder holding the wav file and the file it self

turn loop off for targeting

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8gNLkPANLuxeHd0UHJGNThxeXc/view

and the origin now this is where your going to have to play around with brushes until you find a spot and get the coords for it or use 1.4 this can't be attached to a moving entity tho it's mostly Command Post related material.

now to target teams use these

the enabler normally in the top of the script like birth right after spawn 

0 is axis 1 is allies

wm_addteamvoiceannounce 0 "samename"

wm_addteamvoiceannounce 1 "samename"

in part of script that will trigger the stage to it

wm_teamvoiceannounce 0 "samename"

wm_teamvoiceannounce 1 "samename"

in the death of the sound

wm_removeteamvoiceannounce 0 "samename"

wm_removeteamvoiceannounce 1 "samename"

any of these you can reverse set in stages to add and remove sound 

There is possibly more script commands but I think this covers what you asked.

but I used samename as reference as to make both of them the same that is all and how to point to samename hope this helps took a while to remember them all.

that good here some more helpful stuff :)

• Like 1

What I want to do is starting to look both easier and harder at the same time, as far as vehicles and moving scripts go.  I still don't l know how to do it, but it's looking more possible. 

I'm not that worried about the system requirements. But I'm not very familiar with the mapping process. I could probably be mapping for games like Far Cry. :D But, I chose ET for whatever reason. I guess because when I was younger I couldn't even import a md3, or add textures. Where as I don't have the most powerful PC, it's never let me down and it's pretty good in my opinion. 

Why ET?
I guess I didn't want to leave it undone. I do play newer games, like Tomb Raider 2 in highest quality because I doubled my memory and I am using a solid state drive which does wonders for my laptop, I can push it beyond what you'd imagine the specs were capable. I've played most recent games without issue. But of course within a few years it will be too old to play, at least in the settings I push onto it now :D 

I sort of want to add a tank to the map. The map claims to have 75 entities currently. I'm not sure I need as many because I'm very new to scripting, mapping. I'm not sure if that's too many entities, either. 

I like these moving scripts because they seem to be able to be segmented and there there's triggers to make them continue, like start and stop triggers and location 1, 2, 3 so on.

What I want to do with mine carts seems pretty hard to figure out right now. How do I make mine carts race fairly? How can I make it fair for the axis, allies to gain and lose the obj? How can I pull it off? It's going to take a lot of brain storming to design that, but I do believe that a collection of prefabs will help. 

My map now has it's own script file. Before it hadn't had one. I was making separate script files. 

Not sure how easy it will be for me to map with my specs, but I consider them fair...but of course I'm a beginner with it comes to mapping.

post-20995-0-91773000-1496413751_thumb.jpg

Edited by laggermcjagger
  • Like 1

I almost forgot about this tool. Put this in the Wolf ET folder for running developer mode of the map your working on much faster work around tool. Don't recall where I got it from this is a backup folder item Im currently running through things I saved over the years. I Think you have to have net frameworks 2.0 for it work was made for windows XP works on windows 10 64bit.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8gNLkPANLuxRHkwdzVOOS1CV28

• Like 1

This will kind of explain how to use origin brush using script_mover not the same as path corner I may have been mixing it up with the two. model2 http://www.surfacegroup.org/tutorials/wet/simple_mover_part2/

path_corner
Train path corners.
Entities can be scripted to move to these locations or a func_train will follow the setup target route between PATHS without scripting.
[Entities may need to be paired with an origin brush.]

path_corner_2
Train path corners. *This version will not contribute towards ingame entity count.

It is confusing sometimes. Sorry If I miss led you in some way. There is two types of origin's one is a key origin with coordinates in radiant and the other is a brush model that is drawn in radiant that is converted to a entity. Like you I am trying to knock the rust off my gears been a few years sense I modded all my information is incomplete but they are somewhat correct in theory.

If you need to understand how to use path's look at chute text map some what complicated being there is several things going on in the trigger https://enemyterritory-stuff.net/files/file/635-chute_test_2/

But I think the best one was from oasis waterpump was pulled out and setup from default map by me so I know it works was going to use it until I decided that wasn't what I wanted to work around.

• Like 1

You're serious about this dev map thing. Maybe it's going to take longer than I realize. :D Thank you for all your help again. Work has slowed down a tiny bit because I've begun looking at scripting and other aspects of my map. But, work continues. 

As you can see it's coming to life, but this is very early screens.  Textures and what not are not final, of course... it's all very early stages...Now that I know a tiny tiny bit about scripting...

I am going to make an elevator triggered by a button essentially.  The obj is right in front of a door down to ...well death... an elevator to death, so I figure, why not give the axis a button so that if allies are standing in front of obj, they can open it, sending them down an elevator to hell? :D  Allies will be able to raise the elevator to save team mate with obj...

But you'll hit a button and down they will go...

The scripts I'm using don't get "interrupted" then are continuous up and down.  I haven't worked on a script yet that is interrupted. 

I need to add lines to my script that allow up and down to be haulted.  I need a script that I can stop in the middle of going downward so that it can go upwards....

Are there any scripts like that? I

This script is continuous and doesn't have the option to pause half way between up / down ( or back and forth, same difference, it's just a question of where you place your origins, right? ) 

For my script obviously it will be two directions floor 1, and floor 2. Nothing in between, up and down. Between will activate whether or not to go up and down. Down will go all the way down unless interrupted to go upwards....and vice versa. 

Actually, the script I used for the statue originally had a palette go one direction and then back another, but it was continuous I may be able to backwards engineer it easier than the elevator script.

I've posted that script above, but I'll post the original script to show how it goes both ways...

// --------------------DIE ANTERWINDE--------------------
// -----------------MADE BY -)A(-WuTang**----------------

move1
{
spawn
{

}

trigger allstart
{
wm_announce "Allies have started to move rockets."