‘It crossed a lot of lines’: Trump on alleged chemical gas attack in Syria

DFighter

Trump has said his attitude toward President Bashar Assad and Syria has "changed very much," when asked at a joint news conference with Jordan's King Abdullah if the alleged chemical attack in Idlib crossed a red line.
“It crossed a lot of lines with me. When you kill innocent children – innocent babies – with chemical gas… that goes beyond red lines,” Trump told reporters on Wednesday.

Trump said the alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria “cannot be tolerated," but he did not say what the US might do in response. He blamed the incident on the Assad regime.

“These heinous acts by the Assad regime cannot be tolerated,” added Trump. “My attitude toward Syria and Assad has changed very much. What happened yesterday is unacceptable to me.”
“Militarily, I don’t like to say when I’m going and what I’m doing,” he added.
“I’m not saying I won’t do anything one way or another, but I certainly won’t be telling you [the media].”

Jordan's King Abdullah praised Trump’s “realistic approach to the challenges in the region.” He said a political solution was needed in Syria. "That ends the conflict with the country preserving its unity and territorial integrity,” he said.
Just last week the US Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, signaled a quite different message, suggesting the Trump administration had taken it sights off Assad.
"Our priority is no longer to sit there and focus on getting Assad out," Ambassador Nikki Haley told a small group of reporters on Thursday last week.

Source: https://www.rt.com/usa/383624-trump-syria-red-line/
  • Like 1