A New Players Observations on Gameplay

TimoMajere

Sorry for the ranting here.. but i JUST have to know..

Okay .. I realize im the new guy to the server.. but i AM noticing a very fatal flaw in gameplay and that is. Hardly anyone defends primary objectives.. but they almost all whine and complain when they lose.

Its not hard to defend an objective.. if you're not a greedy Xp player that is. What is the point of getting 70 or 80 kills a game if your team fails? Its nothing whatsoever to brag about.. It simply shows that you're a selfish player: only interested in your own goals. And what makes it worse is that people start singling out people because of it. Quite arrogant.

This doesnt go directly at anyone.. but if you dont help defend sometimes.. ya outta shut the heck up when you lose the game. Dont complain about No defense.. BE the defense then.

Otherwise you're simply useless cause there are tonnes of Xp-hoes out there already and you dont stand out at all.

I was really pissed when I was the ONLY defense in Marrakesh I just played last.. rarely seeing anyone but one or 2 people.. and I managed to not only keep the lab door intact, but stopped about 7 waves of enemies comming in.. Then when I communicated that people were comming.. Noone came to help.. absolutely Noone. We lost objective and then the team started whining about losing.

Seriously.. is defense something that is alien to people here or something?

Once again.. this isnt directed at anyone in particular but I am really wondering what the deal is with it.

I'm a strictly defensive player and hate that i bust my back to defend only to be pissed on for losing it.. Hard to do much with ZERO help.

So since i cant believe almost NOONE defends.. then I must be missing something that makes people not want to defend.

Edited by TimoMajere
  • Like 2

I agree if you wernt helping defend then dont complain when you lose. But then again its just a game lol.

Agree 100%.. its just a game.. and Im not really looking for people to change their tactics.. but I personally wasnt thrilled about being told I suck cause I didnt stop the 14( exaggerated number for effect) guys going for the objective by myself.

Thats what got me this time.. ive lost maps plenty of times here.. but do NOT like being called out specifically on it either.

I dont wish to sound like a baby about it either.. but I just didnt think it was worthwhile to snipe at the brats back and lower myself to that level globally.

Felt.. a forum is a good place to sound off a lil and possibly get some sensible replies at the same time. Bytchin in game just makes one look bad IMO.

Guest R..pace!

Objectives are out of date, rating is the new thing (not that I think that's good or anythingrolleyes.gif). It would take either a complete shift of players' mindsets, an introduction of new standards, or the depreciation of ratings in order to get gameplay back to being objective-based: something which, quite honestly, is either über difficult or straight out unlikely. So for now, can't expect much to change; all there is to do is complain, and maybe hopefully the complaints can get people thinking...

I agree with you. Unfortunately ET has evolved to this. 3 years ago it was a different game. I just try to do my class's job. If I'm a medic I try to heal teamates etc. I think if you play on the hardcore server you will find more objective minded players.JMHO

I agree with you. Unfortunately ET has evolved to this. 3 years ago it was a different game. I just try to do my class's job. If I'm a medic I try to heal teamates etc. I think if you play on the hardcore server you will find more objective minded players.JMHO

I dont think ET's evolved into it.. alot of servers have defensive players.. what they have started is a Player Rating system ( which isnt on F|A servers ) where if a player is on the winning team.. he gets like extra points.. and if hes on losing team he gets the same number of points extracted. The 40k aspect I think is a double-edged sword.. it forces people to think selfishly in a race to get 40k just to be able to apply if that is their choosing.. but there really is NO motivation to win at all. Its purely XP driven and I guess you're right about the other servers..it just makes it difficult and takes a LONG time for people who's specialty is defense to get that 40k just to be 'recognized'.

I have physical handicaps which inhibit me from having fast speed and precise aiming so I guess Im feeling it more than others, but Im no slouch either. I just think that winning the game is more important than whoring up xp. I suppose its just my mindset to think team-oriented.

Jaymod is usually about fragging while objective comes second, but I wouldn't say noone pays attention to defending. You'll see people defending on Fueldump, Temple and Supply every match (most 3 notable examples I could think of), and sometimes there's a really nice defense going on Marrakech. It mostly depends on the current team whether they'll defend or not. On Hardcore it's totally different story, much more objective driven game.

And as for the 40k requirement it wasn't meant to encourage people to hog the XP, but to somewhat ensure players have spent some time on the servers and are getting to know others before they apply.

Jaymod is usually about fragging while objective comes second, but I wouldn't say noone pays attention to defending. You'll see people defending on Fueldump, Temple and Supply every match (most 3 notable examples I could think of), and sometimes there's a really nice defense going on Marrakech. It mostly depends on the current team whether they'll defend or not. On Hardcore it's totally different story, much more objective driven game.

And as for the 40k requirement it wasn't meant to encourage people to hog the XP, but to somewhat ensure players have spent some time on the servers and are getting to know others before they apply.

Well.. I will admit.. Im not a frequent player of Jaymod.. so I tend to be somewhat ignorant of how things function on the mod.. Ive played more etpub and etpro than anything.. Jaymod is relatively new to me. So I shall keep that in mind from now on.

ALso.. Thats why i added the words 'almost' and 'Most' to my comment as its true.. not everyone is like that.

The 40k thing I believe that you, me and a few others on Vent talked about that and i do understand what it is there for.. it just seems that its also the flip-side of the coin as well.. where it allows you to see how a player is and gives time to observe them.. but in the same breat it also means alot of XP whoring will inevitably happen.

Guess thats the Yin and the Yang of it all.

Once again.. i am not trying to change anything at all.. I'm posting because it just escapes me how a small group of people actually seem to care about the objectives on a defensive level, I being one.. but also being new as well.. so Im trying to get used to the change of gameplay and attitudes. As stated in my intro thread.. im trying to reinvent myself on the mod and just not fully familiar with things.

Its gonna take some adjusting on my part totally.

I hope this thread is taken for nothing more than an attempt to comprehend things and get advice on such.. and is NO slam on any one person or group/clan whatsoever.

I may just go play on hardcore then if its more objective driven.. but now see.. I have to start at 0 xp there if I do meaning If im to apply, I have to start all over again. D'oh! :)

Thank you everyone for the replies and not flaming me for what could be percieved as 'whining'

Edited by TimoMajere

You need a combination of everything. Some maps work better if you defend and others work better if you push. But if your whole team camps, then enemy will be right at your door step but if your whole team is on offence, your going to get raped by a sneaky engy.

I remembered a while back in jay1 on gold rush we had like 16 people in the bank and then poison gas floods in and everyone was like dying and spamming medic every 10 seconds. Then some lucky nades and a panzerboy Rainier and everyone got facked. If we had some guys on the outside to push back the allies we probably would have done better but everyone insisted on making a totem poll in obj room lol. All the allies had to do was just mass horde us because once they got everyone together outside of bank, we got raped XD

Generally on Hardcore and EtPub server there is more teamplay and experience when it comes to attacking/defending as a group.

And you can combine XP from all F|A servers, so it can be 40k total on all servers, and not just on one server.

ET is a game, and people play it to have fun. Some think completing the objective is fun; others think getting highest fragger is fun. Others dedicate their lives to getting RANK 1 ON SpLaTTeRLaDDeR!!!!!111 In my opinion, it is pretty pointless to play objective on most pub servers. Hardcore is very objective-oriented, but Jaymod has way too many people for someone who cares about winning the map. The maps rarely change anyway, so it's the same objective every, single day... which gets kinda boring (to me at least). Putting "rules" on ET or declaring "jobs" for each class on pub servers is silly. I don't have to follow you around with a syringe just because I'm a medic and that's my so-called "job." I play to for fun, as does almost everyone else.

Hello and thank you for your comment, we are glad you have chosen our servers to play on.

Perhaps you would be better suited for one of our objective-oriented servers (Hardcore, ET Pub). You will not convert many players to objective-oriented gameplay if you are on a Jaymod server. People go there to kill. We actually have rules preventing people from getting the objective early in the game. The objective is not really the objective, killing each other is the objective on the Jaymod servers.

Thanks for your thoughts, please enjoy your time here and don't take it so seriously.

yes youre right. but there are some classes of ET players outside. 1. one is the "try to frag" medic/soldier just out for kills and K/D. the 2. one is the defender. he knows the objective and dont want to lose a map. the 3. one is a overall player,helps out the team, frags and defending the objective. nut you never know who is playing with you. just try to have fun, cuz thats the main part.play your game and enjoy your time.

Guest =limes=

@TimoMajere

Seriously, i personally like your attitude, but i can only give you one advice. If you are that kind of player, forget to play on f|a jaymod and go to f|a hardcore. The jaymod servers are swallowed with ratingfreaks and "for fun" players, who give a crap about winning map/helping team/defending etc. Also the f|a rules are made to attract such kind of players. I dunno why, but its a fact. So you have to deal with it or play somewhere else. Ive given up "teamplay" and other things on such large public servers a long time ago. its useless trying to enforce such spirit on this kind of servers. You will fail greatly, believe me... ;)

Regards limes

Understood.. and appreciate the replies.

Its true.. Im not familiar with the inner workings of Jaymod and im patterned to play Objectively as a player because I tend to find that I prefer to play a class or style that the team is lacking.. which usually means I change classes alot in game as the progression goes on.

Agreed that Its my own mindset that's throwing me off in the server.. to which i will work on.

As stated before.. im not asking anyone to change their gameplay on this.. thats would be a little presumptuous of me.. no.. what I wanted to seek was how the gameplay flows and see about adjusting my own style to suit it so i guessed that questioning a few things ( without sounding facetious about it) would garner positive answers and not make anyone seem picked on.

Thanks for all the answers im recieving here.. Its helping me adjust more and more each time I play.

Its my own doing really.. Im patterned to get wins for the team from the servers ive played on and never really tried to be xp driven.. in fact ive occasionally reset my own xp just to shake things up a bit.. give me more of a challenge i suppose..

I shall try to conform to the standards here.

Once again. Thank you for the replies.