Thinkpad T60p BIOS password length

Xernicus

Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well.

So I've found myself in a bit of predicament lately. I want to change some settings in the BIOS of my (aging, but still quite useful) Thinkpad T60p which I use for business purposes.

I recently had to swap the logic/motherboard because of a power-on problem related to the charging circuit. When I swapped the motherboard, I set all three passwords, the Power-On password (POP), a hard disk password (HDP), and a BIOS supervisor password. All are stored on the TPM, and the POP and HD password are linked to my fingerprint.

I can change most settings with only the POP and HDP, but some of the more "advanced" settings require the supervisor password, which I have forgotten because I just swipe my finger on the reader when booting the machine. But I think I still have some hope, as I *distinctly* remember there being a character limit on the supervisor password. If I have that character limit, than I think I might be able to jog my memory and remember which password I used.

But upon searching google, all I get is links to physically hacking the TPM, which I really don't want to do to my laptop... Especially as my soldering skills with SMDs are still hit and miss.
So I'm hoping there's someone here who has a ThinkPad or has some sysadmin knowledge about them.

For those without experience: Please do not set passwords to find the length for me... removing them can entail having to format the hard disk, or even worse- having to send in the machine.

I think the length is 7 alphanumeric characters?
Here's some information from the BIOS if it will help:

Using Passphrase: Disabled
Supervisor Password: Enabled
Lock BIOS Settings: Enabled
Set Minimum Length: Disabled

Power-On Password: Enabled
Hard Disk 1 Password: User

Password Reset Service: Disabled

Thank you all so very much. I appreciate your help.

Good thing you are not using passphrase

7 Characters a - z, 0 - 9, not case sensitive: 

Setting a Supervisor Password

(Ref #76.)

If in addition to the hard disk in the main hard disk drive bay, another hard disk is installed in the UltraBay of the computer, you can set the same supervisor password for that hard disk as the supervisor password for the main hard disk. However, if another hard disk is installed in the UltraBay of the SelectaDock Docking System, you cannot set the same supervisor password for it. (See "Using Several Hard Disk Drives with the Supervisor Password".)

To set a supervisor password:

• Start Easy-Setup by pressing and holding F1 and then turning on the computer.
  • Select the Password icon and select the Supervisor icon (c79chppa.gif).
  •  Type your desired supervisor password; then press Enter.

You can use any combination of up to 7 characters. Use a combination of any letters or numbers (A to Z, 0 to 9) in uppercase (A) or lowercase (a). Uppercase and lowercase letters (for example, A and a) are treated the same.

• Type your supervisor password again to verify it; then press Enter.
Do Not Forget Your Supervisor Password!

Note the password and keep it in a safe place. If you forget your supervisor password, there is no way to reset your password or recover data from the hard disk. You have to take the computer to an IBM authorized reseller or IBM marketing representative to have the system board replaced. An additional charge will be required for the service. Neither an IBM authorized reseller nor IBM marketing representative can make the hard disk drive usable.

If you are using more than one hard disk drive, see reference #80.