Platonic

Hi guys. I'm looking for some new gear and I would like to ask advice. I first wanted to post this in music, but since there's also computers involved, this might be a better place.

For a start, excuse me for not providing links but the computer I'm using right now (at work) doesn't want to copy/paste...

So a year ago I bought myself a waldorf pulse 2 analog synthesiser. Together with it, I bought a midi controller keyboard. I've been using it quite a while now and it's about time I started recording the thing. Since I'm new to all this, all advice is welcome. My budget for this year will be around 800 euros. I will see what I can buy with it, but basically what I need in the near future are:

Firstly and most importantly digital audio recording hardware (not being a mic but a mixer or audio interface)

Secondly a computer that can run some audio software without getting super-slow

Thirdly and certainly for the future, a drum machine like the mfb tanzbar.

My questions to you guys...

-Do you have any suggestions what to use for recording hardware? Most important requirements are very good recording quality and the possibility to record at least 2 intruments.

-Do you have any suggestions on which software to use for recording (adobe audition is what I know) and for sequencing the synthesiser/adding some quality drums?

-Any suggestion on a good affordable computer that can run some audio? Or maybe even a combination; a computer with an audio card good enough to record some stuff?

Thanks for reading, any kind of advice is welcome :)

I can´t really suggest any sound cards, but I guess the usual (gaming) sound cards can be put aside, as they have dedicated outs, but not so much inputs. Stumbled upon this on audio bench site: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/audio-interfaces/komplete-audio-6-migrated/included-software/

Would be useful if you´d list the connection types your devices use...

Didn´t find any GPU accelerated DAW´s being in wide use yet, so no need for dedicated GPU. My guess would be a good CPU, lots of RAM and a SSD to quickly capture, for backups (external) HDD. It´s hard(near impossible) to recover data from SSD, so always have backups on HDD...

The budget restricts us to "only" Haswell CPU-s, Extreme(LGA2011v3) platform would cost about 200 money($\€) more-  ~600 for PCU+Mobo alone

whilst Haswell(LGA1150) would go for 100 for mobo+ 350CPU ~ 450 money. Or Skylake whichever you get your hands on cheaper on your location... Theres not much difference in between Skylake vs Haswell performance mostly.

About 100 for 16GB or RAM, 120 for SSD 256GB, 30 case, 70PSU + 250 for audio capture device. Running low on budget... Hence my question why not use your current PC?

Stumbled upon this also: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/optimizing-windows-for-daws.html

• Like 1

Any external soundcard that runs with ASIO should fix all your lag and latency problems. This one is cheap and gets the job done.

Stick with audition if you are gonna record only and use native plugins, but I would recommend to switch to fl studio if you want to use third party plugins.

I really can't give advice on drum machines, but on drum plugins, for beginners I recommend EZdrummer and for more experienced users I recommend battery 4.  EZdrummer is drag and drop and battery is note by note create it yourself, both have good acoustic and electronic libraries. The other plus with battery is that you can use it with MASCHINE with no problem since they are from the same company.

This is something I made with battery 4: (all the instruments are virtual)

• Like 1

As I understood its useful to have low latency while recording\listening through PC and USB is not recommended for that purpose. Though most of their audio interfaces are connected to PC via USB? Don´t get Steinbergs logic behind it.

You can measure with this prog. that USB hub gives the most latency: http://www.resplendence.com/main->latency monitor. Supposed to be used for audio systems but its good to diagnose your system in overall...

Also this is the case where quality mobo would  be good idea? With shielded quality components?