Laptop for college

Birdman

Hello everyone,

Within 2 months I'm going to college and it's recommended to have a laptop.

Since, I know f*ck all about laptops, anyone who has a good laptop that he/she would recomend?

It depends, what kinda software are you planning to use on that laptop?

Don't wanna get a mac so Windows will just be fine, I've heard Acer laptops schould be good?

I really just need Word, Excel etc, google chrome and maybe something like spotify or something.

• 4 weeks later...

If you use it for college, you'll probably be carrying it around a lot. You might wanna have something that can handle a little bump. Don't buy anything that's over 15 inch either. You're not old so you can read normal size screens. Huge laptops are a pain to take to and from college.

I have a dell vostro 3360 for these purposes. I also play games with it and carry it around a lot (it's full of scratches). I really don't handle it softly but it's 4 years old now and I never had any trouble with it except a virus (computer can't help that). It's also still running CS:GO pretty smoothly.

They don't sell the 3360 (for which I payed 650 $), but there are 2 follow-ups I could recommend:

[around 350] If you really have enough with excel and word you can consider this one, but it might come out a little slow: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/vostro-14-3458-laptop/pd?oc=cav3458w8005&model_id=vostro-14-3458-laptop

[around 650] The real follow-up to what I'm using: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/vostro-14-3458-laptop/pd?oc=cav3458w8007&model_id=vostro-14-3458-laptop

Acer doesn't do too well in the reliability tests but then Dell doesn't, either. If you want to take reliability tests into account, you could go with Lenovo or Asus. 

[around 700] What seems like a very good and well performing laptop is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX305FA-13-3-Inch-Ultra-Slim-All-Aluminum/dp/B00SGS7ZH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439125088&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+UX305FA

I would personally be a bit affraid of the case strength but then, not everyone wants a tank for a computer.

[around 650] If I would buy one now, I would buy a Lenovo L series: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/l-series/
Good specs, looks like a tank,... My style. Also has a very long battery independance, very important for your purposes.

There's a lot of laptops out there, I suggest you have a look yourself. But at least now you have some kind of idea where to start.

• Like 1

http://www.cnet.com/news/who-makes-the-most-reliable-laptops-10400447/

"The headline news is that over three years, one out of three laptops will fail, and that Asus and Toshiba laptops have the lowest failure rates, while Acer, Gateway, and HP have higher than average failure rates."

The discussion about notebook brands can go on forever, but I personally don't really thrust the aspire. I can give you 10 links+ of forums where acer laptops are not being recommended if you want something that lasts. However, the pricing is better, indeed.

• Like 1

I would never ever again buy Acer or HP, had one of both... If I needed a laptop, that would be Asus or Lenovo as Platonic said.

• Like 2

I'd recommend Lenovo (cheap, good quality) and Asus ( a bit more expensive, good quality). 

Intel core i3  at least and ssd would satisfy your needs. :)

• Like 3

Heh, I've had my macbook since 2009, surprisingly this thing still runs. It sucks because there's no MS word on here, but I still can get my classwork and everything necessary for my schooling done. Good luck to you in your studies though! Hopefully you find a decent laptop for your adventure. :)

• Like 1

Heh, I've had my macbook since 2009, surprisingly this thing still runs. It sucks because there's no MS word on here, but I still can get my classwork and everything necessary for my schooling done. Good luck to you in your studies though! Hopefully you find a decent laptop for your adventure. :)

If you haven't already you should try libreoffice, it's a free office suite. It looks more like Office used to before the change to ribbon menus, but if you don't mind the older style it has everything office has (not quite, but no average user and even a lot of power users will ever notice the things that are missing).

Also, hi Loki!!!

true , i forgot about Dell...Very stable!  ..but specification gives a lot to think sometimes.  I love Dells!...but Acers are also good...cheap and you have guaranty when you buy a new one, so i dont see the problem, 2 years is way enough! you can always change it. :) 

A question. Do You have IPhone or Samsung phone? :)

• Like 1