Sporting Icons / Heroes

ShadowFax

Haven't seen anything like this yet, in this section of the forums, and as a big fan of sports etc, just wondering who everyone admires or has been inspired by in the world of sport.

My favourite sporting heroes are Sir Alex Fergie...Best manager this world has seen I believe. His beliefs and methods brought Manchester United to a world class team!

In terms of swimming, as that's my favourite sport, and one that I love have been in for years, M.Phelps or R.Lochte are my 2 favourite swimmers currently around. Achieving the greatest and swimming the fastest...

And Usain Bolt...because he's Bolt haha! 

There's all kinds of things that happen in sports that I appreciate and is a good thing. The McCourty Twins in the NFL supporting the sickle cell, or the Dbacks drafting a paralyzed baseball player from ASU

But like I said to many to pick from, so many people do good things. I commend the Dbacks for using a draft pick on a disabled player and actually hiring him into the organization as well.

I have couple big idols but one who affect most in my life and it is Antero Niittymäki, i was depressed and following his games was reason to continue living when my depression was hardest. Niittymäki had to end his career in age of 32 because hip injuries, i still watch youtube videos of Niittymäki time to time and old games too sometimes.

I have others idols too, who i followed closely and who i love a lot.

Like Hockey players

Saku and Mikko Koivu

Petteri Nummelin

Martin St. Louis

Kimmo Timonen

Scott Harnell

Kimmo Timonen

Raimo Helminen

Teppo Numminen

Marco Scandella

Zenon Konopka

and F1 Driver Kimi Räikkönen

and Ski jumper Janne Ahonen

There is several Wild players who i like too and are my idols too. But i dont follow they career as closly as i follow those above ones.

Devan Dubnyk

Nino Niederraiter

Jason Zucker

Jonas Brodin

Mikael Granlund

Zach Parise

Jason Pomminville

Matt Dumba

Dale Earnhardt. Was a fan of his since his 1981 season. But what solidified him to hero status happened at the Spring race in 1991 at Atlanta. It was me, my brother and his son who had Muscular Dystrophy. We arranged for garage passes through a guy from our hometown area by the name of Joey Knuckles that at one time was the crew chief for Allison's #28. We were in the garage area checking things out. My nephew (like my brother and me) was a huge E fan. His wheelchair was black and had 3 decals all over it. We were standing outside his pit stall on practice day just hoping to catch sight of him. Eventually, he came towards his garage. As usual, he was surrounded by his handler and about 30 other people. In passing us, he stopped and gave my nephew's wheelchair a glance. He turned to his handler and said "I need about 20 minutes". His handler ushered his entourage away as E went in the garage. His handler came over and and said "Come with me". We followed him into the garage at the front of E's car. E came out from behind the toolbox and took my nephew to a corner of the stall. Just him. They sat in that corner and talked for a full 20 minutes. They came back over, E shook our hands and said "You got a great kid there" and went on his way.

A figure like that...... taking time from his busy schedule...... no appointment..... nothing.... to talk to this kid in private. THAT put E in the status of hero in our family. Just..... wow.

• Like 2

As much as i'm not American but Michael Oher is a real inspiration to me as I can relate to being in foster care and stuff. But what inspires me is that he tried so hard at school and he kept going even after all of what he had been through. And the best thing is? He doesn't blame anyone for what happened in his life he gets on with it and keeps his head held high. A true legend and hero.

Piers Morgan, 'Do you blame her for what happen' Michael Oher, 'No I dont blame her at all' This is how people should be...

Lionel Messi: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEWySX1kLqY

Look at how he keeps going.

• Like 1