Prosessor update 2core -> 4core

Masa_1964

Try to gain some prosessor upgrade in my old gaming pc mobo Asus P5Q-E , from 2core E8400 3GHz (3,6Ghz) 400fps setting to 4core X5450 3GHz xeon 333fps settings. Seems at it just generate more heat even only running basic settings. And makes no different in usage other ways, surely I know at win 32bit is only using one core and using 64 or linux will gain more usage. But so far it was 45e wasted and a few days adjusting things (bios did not support xeon and cooling adjustments). And I use same cooling in both setups (liquid cooling set). Even idle temps are higher and seems this xeon has some core heat probs in core 1 (maybe thats why it was cheap and did come from hongkong)

Masa_1964

24_2_2core.JPG

24_2_4core.JPG

55C on idle temp seems a bit high for 1.14V. Tried to apply thermal paste again? For advanced tweakers it could help to change paste between CPU and IHS but I guess the metal liquid pastes woul cost more than the CPU;)

In the other hand if it runs on OC settings full time, then the temps could climp up. C-states enabled?

3rd chance it has degraded over the time\abuse

60$ mobo+ G3258 for 60$ would be a leap also from your system. On win7 ET won´t use more than one core anyways...

• Like 1

I did make new paste there 3times (diffrent thikness) and adjust cooling side but seems its prosessor failure, one core heats up. I run no OC currently and in temp readings its still high. C states are enabled. Will think new systems when win 10 is awailable :)

Masa_1964

allways cold paste apply :) been adjusting pc prosessors since 8088. I can paste here progran I made in 91 for 8088 to speed up :)

Masa_1964

• Leader

And I use same cooling in both setups (liquid cooling set). 

Are you sure that the liquid cooling is running properly?  Pump and fan both spinning?

Here is one of those gwbasic file I used in 1991 to speed my pc-xt 4,77mhz :) I would paste what it consists but I dont remeber how to use gwbasic any more.

That was nearly all what could do pc with low budget and availability of components.

(I just renamed it txt)

Masa_1964

160 - Copy.txt

Here is one of those gwbasic file I used in 1991 to speed my pc-xt 4,77mhz :) I would paste what it consists but I dont remeber how to use gwbasic any more.

That was nearly all what could do pc with low budget and availability of components.

(I just renamed it txt)

Masa_1964

Here dates of file creation and different modes can be seen :)

Masa_1964

files.JPG