Hard drive problem

ajnl

Just came back yesterday from vacation in the USA for 3 weeks. Started up my computer and heard clicking noises..which is rarely a good sign. When the computer started up (I run Windows 7 Ult from a SSD), one of my hard drives could not be located.

The problem is that I had all of my programs (except for a few) installed on that hard drive that broke. So pretty much everything points to a drive that for the computer does not exist. Is there a program that I can use to delete anything that points to this drive?

I'm planning on buying a new hard drive tmr.

Click of death.  Usually means that the retractor coil has died.

There used to be an old time fix for this in the old days, but I don't know if it still works today.

First thing is to put in a blank HDD by itself.  Partition and format it.  Then install the old HDD.

We would start the system up with a floppy (I know)drive and the clone software, and let the HDD spin up,  then you turn it onto it's sides.  Usually one side will stop the clicking.

As soon as that happens, we would clone the HDD.  It would work about 75% of the time.

This is probably totally useless information today.

As to your question about pointing to that drive.  Just remove it and the bios will remove it from the list and Windows will be no wiser.

When you get the new drive, then the bios and windows will recognize it on it's own.

Edited by Ol' Smoke

As to your question about pointing to that drive.  Just remove it and the bios will remove it from the list and Windows will be no wiser.

When you get the new drive, then the bios and windows will recognize it on it's own.

I'm too lazy to try it anyways :P.

If I remove the program drive, all the links that points to it will be deleted automatically? It just bothers me that I get a warning every time I pull up My Computer. Also, I had moved my desktop, default pictures folder, documents, etc to that drive. So there is that too..

Mechanical issues..  :wacko:  Not sure I really understood the prob.. Disconnect the drive and a simple cleaning should make the deal. Anyway, if you planned to delete all datas on this drive just use DBAN to wipe this latter. If it's also to delete entries in the windows registry linked to this drive, use Ccleaner or Wise Registry Cleaner. If the prob is some prog\driver installed on this latter then use RevoUninstaller and use the "forced uninstall" to spot and delete any entry linked. If your plan is to save some datas if possible try with Recuva.

-DBAN (UBCD: many useful tools in this one, DBAN included)*

-Ccleaner\Wise Registry Cleaner

-RevoUninstaller

-Recuva

*to use carefully

Good luck!

Edited by Ann!b@l