How to get great nigh-shot photos

Elf

For high quality night shots, the shutter needs to be set at a slow speed. This allows the camera enough time to let light in to the sensor, without increasing your ISO setting. You need a canon or any DLSR camera 

On a Canon you turn the top dial to TV. Whereas on some SLR models, like the Nikon D40 for example, shutter priority is displayed as the letter S. If your camera doesn't have TV or S then refer to your camera manual. 

If you have a tripod handy, set the ISO to the lowest setting your digital SLR camera will go. For example, Canon EOS 400D will go as low as 100 ISO, whereas a Nikon D40 will go to 200. If you don't have a tripod, look for something you can rest your camera on. For example a stone or brick wall. 

How slow depends on the time of night and how dark it is. There is no set shutter speed to suit every situation. However I've found if you take one photograph at 10 seconds, one at 20 and one at 30. Then view the image on your LCD display and see which one shows the most light. From there you will be able to judge how slow the shutter speed needs to be for the rest of your photo's on that particular night. 

City lights on top of a hill is the best! lol

The mistake many photographers do, is to set their shutter speed too fast. 

Good photo here 30 sec. on shutter.

30secondshutterspeed.jpg

Digital SLR Camera: Canon EOS 400D / Rebel XTi 
DSLR Lens: Canon EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Exposure: 30 sec (30)
Aperture: f/7.1 
Focal Length: 17mm 
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Program: Shutter priority
Flash: Flash did not fire

Why this night shot worked

The ISO was kept to a high image quality 100, while the shutter speed set to a slow 30 seconds.

Thanks

Elf

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice picture Elf.  Try this next time:  Pink 1a filter and watch the lights of the city change.  Some guys use a yellow2 with a sprite filter to make the

lights pop.

Indeed the tuto is for me, but why if I dont use filters, can I get great photos w/o filters?

• 2 weeks later...

Filters can be used to produce effects that makes everyone ooh and aah but they can also remove debris from a photo.

They can make your eye look at a certain object or just change things to make the picture stand out more.  When I shoot

a landscape like you did in the picture above, I will take 30 or more pix using different filters and settings.  I never know

how the image is actually going to come out, but once in a while,  you strike paydirt with a truly remarkable picture.

Like I tell all studying photographers,  "Take criticism as a gesture of someone who likes your work".  For if they say  

nothing at all,  that's true rejection, but criticism is free and helpful. 

Let's see more.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Full wide open aperture is very much required if you want sharpness through out the pic.

Yes you are right...