Late night November 17 until dawn November 18, 2014, the Leonids

Chameleon

Not huge news, but for those of you like me, that really love this stuff, I thought I would put an update here for the next meteor shower :D

Radiating from the constellation Leo the Lion, the famous Leonid meteor shower has produced some of the greatest meteor storms in history – at least one in living memory, 1966 – with rates as high as thousands of meteors per minute during a span of 15 minutes on the morning of November 17, 1966. Indeed, on that beautiful night in 1966, the meteors did, briefly, fall like rain. Some who witnessed the 1966 Leonid meteor storm said they felt as if they needed to grip the ground, so strong was the impression of Earth plowing along through space, fording the meteoroid stream. The meteors, after all, were all streaming from a single point in the sky – the radiant point – in this case in the constellation Leo the Lion. Leonid meteor storms sometimes recur in cycles of 33 to 34 years, but the Leonids around the turn of the century – while wonderful for many observers – did not match the shower of 1966. And, in most years, the Lion whimpers rather than roars, producing a maximum of perhaps 10-15 meteors per hour on a dark night. Like many meteor showers, the Leonids ordinarily pick up steam after midnight and display the greatest meteor numbers just before dawn. In 2014, the waning crescent moon shouldn’t too greatly interfere with this year’s Leonid meteor shower. The peak morning will probably be November 18 – but try November 17, too.

Source: http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earthskys-meteor-shower-guide#leonids

• Like 2

I was living in Chiloquin, Oregon going to HS.  Me and several others went way out into the woods and set up tents and stuff to watch the one in 1966.

What is funny about the meteor shower was this.

We are sitting in an area watching it.  Somewhere in the middle of the shower someone said something about they were glad not to be over at this other place.

It looked like they were getting pelted.  Then we started laughing and saying,  "what if they are looking toward us and saying the same thing".

There were two big ones that hit near Klamath Falls and many years later someone found one.  It is in the museum in KFalls.  About the size of a football.

It would be so cool for me to be sitting on your porch watching this with you. Playing guitars.  It doesnt get much better than that.

• Like 2

I was living in Chiloquin, Oregon going to HS.  Me and several others went way out into the woods and set up tents and stuff to watch the one in 1966.

What is funny about the meteor shower was this.

We are sitting in an area watching it.  Somewhere in the middle of the shower someone said something about they were glad not to be over at this other place.

It looked like they were getting pelted.  Then we started laughing and saying,  "what if they are looking toward us and saying the same thing".

There were two big ones that hit near Klamath Falls and many years later someone found one.  It is in the museum in KFalls.  About the size of a football.

It would be so cool for me to be sitting on your porch watching this with you. Playing guitars.  It doesnt get much better than that.

My friend, I couldn't agree more :D