Xernicus' Nacho Cheese Dip

Xernicus

Heya guys!

I'm not sure about you, but I'm a huge fan of nachos, but I'm also a huge fan of warm, melty and gooey cheese. So when I bake nachos in the oven, I'm always disappointed by the not-so-melty, crispy and the oily and slightly burnt taste of the cheese.

So I set out to find a kickass nacho cheese recipe, but I was stopped in my tracks quite quickly. Almost everyone called for an extremely processed cheese such as American or Velveeta. Some of them called for obscure ingredients as well, and I was just wanting something that could be made with what was in my cupboards. So I did more digging, and a bit of experimenting, and I found something that worked quite well.

• 2 cups of medium or sharp cheddar cheese (finely grated)
  • 1/4 tsp of salt (more or less to taste)
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 2 tbsp of flour
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  • 1 wire whisk
  • OPTIONAL- 1/2 tbsp of corn starch

Alrighty, so lets start a mixin':

1. Grab a small saucepan, or pot
  2. Melt the butter over medium-low heat (2-3.5 on a GE electric stove)
  3. When the butter has melted, add 1 tbsp of flour, and mix it in. When it has finished mixing, add the second tbsp, and mix until it is thick.
  4. Pour in the milk (be sure to do this immediately after mixing the flour and butter, do not let the roux burn!)
  5. Stir the milk in, until it has developed a slightly gelatinous texture, it will still be thin, but should not be watery.
  6. Add the cheese, and whisk it until there are no chunks of melted cheese on the bottom of the pan (you'll have to tilt to check). It is usually stirred in entirely after about a minute or two of mixing.
  7. Add the salt, and any other seasonings you'd like (paprika, pepper, chili powder. etc)
  8. Let it sit for around 30 seconds while still on the burner. It should change from a lighter color to the color of cheese. Stick a spoon in and see if it's thick enough.
  9. If the sauce is not thick enough (which will happen from time to time), add 1/2 of a tbsp of corn starch at a time and stir it in until it is at the consistency you like.

Now for the most important part... enjoy! :D

• Like 3