Xfire screwed up my COD4 files

I have completely rebuilt Win7 onto a new HDD and it was running flawlessly.  COD4 was playing like the old days.

Then yesterday, I was playing COD4 and "deadmancallin" wanted to xfire me about something.  So I broke out of the

game and installed xfire.  It is the same version that I had on the other Win7 install.  I put in my email address and my

password, and it says my password is not correct.  ???  it is the same password as my other system had.  So I try

again, again, again but nothing.  I ask them to send me my password via email.  I never got one.  So I removed

xfire.  I started to go back into the game to tell dmc that I couldn't get on xfire.   I clicked cod4 multi and it starts up with

that play screen from Activision.  Then it tells me to make a player profile?  All my stuff is gone.  WTF!

After searching for a bit I find that my profile is now in the game directory instead of the c:\users\.....  where it was before

I installed xfire.   Xfire somehow re-wrote the data for cod4 into the game directory and told the game to look for it there.

I copied all the stuff from the c:\users\... into the c:\program(x86)\....\profiles\     directory and the game came back to where

it was before after I tweaked the settings back.  The game seems to play fine but now I have two locations for my mpdata.

So I changed a setting in my configmp.cfg  file and pressed the key to see if it worked in the game.  No.  So I went to the

new location under the game directory and changed it there.  It worked.

On my old system, I had problems with xfire until I found an older one that worked.  After I loaded it on to my system, I noticed

that the game did not play right and that my settings would change all the time.  After a period of time, the game became

unplayable. (As I have written on the forums) Which is why I built a new win7 and started over.

So after this latest fiasco,  I am done with xfire.  I may have to rebuild this thing again, because I can't get the files to work

in the game as they should.  So I am going to try to find the registry listing that tells COD4 where to find the mpdata file and

the rest of the Player files.  Why would xfire be messing around with those files anyway?  It must be looking for something that

is in the players directory and can only find it in the game directory location and therefore it writes them there and then tells

the game to use those locations.

So I am asking anyone who reads this to say whether xfire has done some weird things to your settings also?

I haven't had this issue with xfire, but after my last install, when I installed xfire and run it while in game, my ping goes from like 60 to over 400/500..