North Texas Drivers Stopped

docwarren

Which exact part of the constitution says we have a right to travel freely and unimpeded?

US Constitution, Article IV, Section 2.

Also Supreme Court case Terry v. Ohio applies in this situation and is held as the benchmark. Basically, law enforcement may stop you "briefly", but may not detain you without probable cause.

These officers, by diverting drivers into a parking lot (can be known as "secondary area") where they could not continue was a violation.

US Constitution, Article IV, Section 2.

Also Supreme Court case Terry v. Ohio applies in this situation and is held as the benchmark. Basically, law enforcement may stop you "briefly", but may not detain you without probable cause.

These officers, by diverting drivers into a parking lot (can be known as "secondary area") where they could not continue was a violation.

Good to hear. Just making sure you actually know what your rights are.

• Like 1

• Administrators

These off duty officers in uniform directed traffic into the parking lot and motorists were not informed it was voluntary. This is an abuse of police powers and I hope they sue the crap out of the officers and the city.

I would have had a field day on this one. You should see me at DFW when I toy with the TSA, who pretend that they have police powers to get sheep to do as they say.

In this country, the Constitution provides that a citizen has a right to travel freely and unimpeded. As well as protection against unlawful and unjustified searches and seizures against his person or property.

Poor white women syndrome? No...... clear violation of the Constitution.

1.As I said poor training, so please file your complaint at the NHTSA. 2.No abuse, again poor training. 3.Is suing answer to everything. The amount of tax payer money wasted on lawsuits could pay for universal healthcare.4.I hope you would have read the form they were handing out to the drivers.5.I agree TSA people at some airports are utter morons but not everywhere.  6. You clearly don't get the white women comment.

@smoke

Again, I gave you a main reason, but wars are always about more then one thing. Your original post was completely out of context. I hold a degree in American History so if you ever want a lesson feel free to PM me.

Training..... yeah..... about that. Ft. Worth police are well known in these parts for ignoring citizen's rights. Heck, they shot a guy a few months ago in his own garage (in the back, mind you) because he had a gun. Killed him without saying a word. They were called for an armed robbery across the street. Saw this guy when they rolled up and went straight for him. 2 years ago, hit a guy on his motorcycle during a chase. Video clearly showed the suspect as no threat and 2 officers walked up and started beating him while a 3rd went to the cruiser and flipped the camera to the side.

They've had their chance, but refuse to learn when trained & re-trained.

Law enforcement take an oath to uphold the Constitution. I violate someone's rights, I have to pay. See no reason they shouldn't have to pay either.

Why do I have the knowledge of my rights? Because I have been on the receiving end of this abuse of power from LEO's. From Border Patrol while in South Texas to seeing local popo search my house without a warrant to find nothing illegal in my possessions.

They are trained to talk to you in a way to make you give up your rights or make it seem like you have no choice.

Anyone who has a position of authority that uses that authority in an ill manor is..... abusing their power.

Yeah.... still don't know the whole white women thing. Must be a Canadian thing.

I guess in NY this type of "corruption" doesn't exist. I'm not so naive or anything, but I don't see the harm done from these experiments. As long as they don't grab me, I'm fine and can just simply drive away from a stop like this. Who else would you rather have to ask for an anonymous test to see what you have in your system? ..and what's the chances of that group (that you rather have testing people) going out and wanting to do this experiment. If they were just some random civilians instead of cops, I'd really want to avoid it then since it just seems sketch, but no, it's just cops. You get me?

• Administrators

Training..... yeah..... about that. Ft. Worth police are well known in these parts for ignoring citizen's rights. Heck, they shot a guy a few months ago in his own garage (in the back, mind you) because he had a gun. Killed him without saying a word. They were called for an armed robbery across the street. Saw this guy when they rolled up and went straight for him. 2 years ago, hit a guy on his motorcycle during a chase. Video clearly showed the suspect as no threat and 2 officers walked up and started beating him while a 3rd went to the cruiser and flipped the camera to the side.

They've had their chance, but refuse to learn when trained & re-trained.

Law enforcement take an oath to uphold the Constitution. I violate someone's rights, I have to pay. See no reason they shouldn't have to pay either.

Why do I have the knowledge of my rights? Because I have been on the receiving end of this abuse of power from LEO's. From Border Patrol while in South Texas to seeing local popo search my house without a warrant to find nothing illegal in my possessions.

They are trained to talk to you in a way to make you give up your rights or make it seem like you have no choice.

Anyone who has a position of authority that uses that authority in an ill manor is..... abusing their power.

Yeah.... still don't know the whole white women thing. Must be a Canadian thing.

There are always a few bad cops and reading your comment gives an impression of someone who dislikes police in general. You have to get out of this they have to pay/i m a victim mentality.

Just don't like the bad cops. The ones who knowingly violate laws. The ones who use manipulation to make you think you have no options. The ones who take offense when you quote them the laws showing them they are in the wrong.

Have several friends and coworker who are in law enforcement. They admit they are trained to use misinformation to obtain probable cause or get their way. They also admit that one of their biggest fears is a citizen who knows the laws and their rights under those laws.

My personal interaction with law enforcement since educating myself on certain laws (I don't claim to know all of them) has usually been cordial and polite. Some have taken offense to this knowledge and written additional tickets to give a little sting (failure to comply on top of a speeding ticket was one). But overall, interaction has been good.

As far as the frivolous lawsuits. I have been involvde in 5 cases on the medical side and AM against them. Knowingly violating ones constitutional rights is a crime and a lawsuit would not be frivolous, unless it you are looking at millions. Any lawsuit I would file would be for compensation for court costs, fees and personal time lost. I would also be open to include a re-training clause.

The purpose of this thread was to expose others to this particular incident and stimulate conversation about constitutional rights. Along the way, I hope that I have inspired some to educate themselves on what their rights are and how to invoke those rights when confronted with LEOs that try to violate them.

• Administrators

Just don't like the bad cops. The ones who knowingly violate laws. The ones who use manipulation to make you think you have no options. The ones who take offense when you quote them the laws showing them they are in the wrong.

Have several friends and coworker who are in law enforcement. They admit they are trained to use misinformation to obtain probable cause or get their way. They also admit that one of their biggest fears is a citizen who knows the laws and their rights under those laws.

My personal interaction with law enforcement since educating myself on certain laws (I don't claim to know all of them) has usually been cordial and polite. Some have taken offense to this knowledge and written additional tickets to give a little sting (failure to comply on top of a speeding ticket was one). But overall, interaction has been good.

As far as the frivolous lawsuits. I have been involvde in 5 cases on the medical side and AM against them. Knowingly violating ones constitutional rights is a crime and a lawsuit would not be frivolous, unless it you are looking at millions. Any lawsuit I would file would be for compensation for court costs, fees and personal time lost. I would also be open to include a re-training clause.

The purpose of this thread was to expose others to this particular incident and stimulate conversation about constitutional rights. Along the way, I hope that I have inspired some to educate themselves on what their rights are and how to invoke those rights when confronted with LEOs that try to violate them.

How do you know these 2 off duty cops were bad cops? Have you had any prior interactions with them? They were pulling drivers over according to the training they received as cops. Somewhere from NHTSA to the local police department someone dropped the ball on that. After the drivers were pulled over they were told why and handed a pamphlet with all the info. The drivers were free to leave at any time. This whole thread has nothing to do with the actual facts, but your interpretations of what happened with a side of bias. I am aware how police conduct themselves as I do travel a lot throughout the US and I do on occasion drive and get pulled over. As Americans you have your 5 th amendment that you can use any time not to incriminate yourself when talking to police the rest of us are not so lucky.

There have been several instances recently, of civil rights being violated. Specifically the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 14th amendment have been violated in several cases. Some are still in court, others have already gone to court and won their lawsuit.

The right to assemble has come under attack, specifically here in NY with the protests by pro-gun supporters. They are limited now where they can protest. 1st amendment gone.

**** act of 1902 invalidates all so-called gun control laws. I won't even get into the numerous other cases where the 2nd amendment was violated. 2nd amendment gone.

After the Boston bombing, citizens were removed from their homes, and held at gunpoint (on a few occasions) while their home was searched. Welcome to your new police state. 4th amendment gone.

Under new gun laws in NY state, ex military, ex police, active police, active military, are not required to adhere to the new 7 round limit. All other citizens are. Regardless of training. 14th amendment gone.

After these, and numerous other cases of civil rights violations, the majority of the public is extremely skeptical of ANYTHING told to them by any government official. Granted, this may have been a completely legitimate survey, and had no malevolent agenda whatsoever, but the way these things are often done, and the fact that the majority of American citizens have no idea what their rights are, they could have easily felt forced into it.

But at the same time, the passive breathalyzer being administered before someone even consents to the testing/participation in the survey, is a violation of the 4th amendment.

How do you know these 2 off duty cops were bad cops? Have you had any prior interactions with them? No. No interactions with them. However, an off duty police officer, in uniform, portraying himself in an official capacity during a non-state designated stop ("checkpoint") is not right. Whether it is legal or not, I'm not sure, but that portrayal is not right.

They were pulling drivers over according to the training they received as cops. Somewhere from NHTSA to the local police department someone dropped the ball on that. Stopping drivers is one thing. Diverting them to the parking lot (secondary-ing") them without probable cause that a crime has been/is being/is about to be committed IS against the law. So yes a ball the size of the moon was dropped.

After the drivers were pulled over they were told why and handed a pamphlet with all the info. The drivers were free to leave at any time. The drivers were not free to leave at "any time". Once into the parking lot.... yes. But the act of directing them to the parking lot was unlawful. They have to be free to leave at the initial stop.

This whole thread has nothing to do with the actual facts, but your interpretations of what happened with a side of bias. The interpretations are based on what is reported locally (media can be biased, I admit), but it seems it was an accurate report based on the Ft. Worth police department's reaction, so taken as fact. Everyone has their own personal bias when viewing a situation based on their own experiences. Anyone who says different is not a logical thinking person.

I am aware how police conduct themselves as I do travel a lot throughout the US and I do on occasion drive and get pulled over. As Americans you have your 5 th amendment that you can use any time not to incriminate yourself when talking to police the rest of us are not so lucky. I agree...... we Yanks NEED to watch you Canadians very carefully.