new case

Jacker

hey guys,

im planning to build my very own computer case (the very first as well)!

before i start i have a couple of questions, which i think we as a community can answer pretty easy!

1. should i use a case (like my corsair carbide) to create something new around?

2. if not, schould i use stuff like hdd cage (just to not have to rebuild it)?

3. if i use the case, i still have the problem of cpu cooling. i use a Corsair H110 to keep it cold - but it has two 140mm fans - and the fitting radiator!!!

and thats where the problem starts... i had to remove the top of the case and place the radiator outside on top, cuz there is no space inside...

so im planning on building it from stainless steel - in combination with LEGO.

i dont want to be able to see the inside, no need for a window.

anyone here has experience with messed up stuff like that?

greeting

Rip the Jacker

I wish I could help you more, but this sounds like an awesome project. I've thought about doing this myself (only with wood) and came to a few conclusions.

I'd probably want to use a pre-existing frame for both the tower and hard drives. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I'd want to make it large enough for a good air CPU cooler, but have fittings for a radiator in case I changed my mind down the road

I would probably prefer side or bottom mounted PSU placement over top, so the PSU has a continued supply of cooler air and frees up the top for a radiator mount.

Cant wait to see what you come up with. I'm curious to see what you decide to do for the air inlets. Seems like it would be hard to get good efficiency with legos. Seems like a non-standard shape like a cube might offer more opportunities. Then again I'm not very creative. :wacko:

• Like 1

thanks for your thoughts!

yeah, i'm still thinking and planning...

i thought of some new shapes - like completely cubic, or with some round stuff?

the psu will definitly get it's place at the bottom - which gives me some lower balance point!

i will also use the cages from my actual case, you are right, no need for "all-new-shit"... (but i somehow want to build them on my own, just do have it;-))

the air intakes are a detail i thought about, found a couple of things, but didnt figure out what may work best!

i found a "digital lego building thing", so i can test around a little :-D

let me hear your ideas and thoughts, maybe i can use some of them!

You should provide us more details on your plans so we could help. At least these:

- All hardware parts

- Exact case model

- Requirements

- Part arrangements (ie. PCI slot conf)

With those I could throw in my 2 cents.

• Like 1

okay, thats the stuff:

Mobo: ASUS M5A99X ECO R2.9

CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-8150

CPU-Cooler: Corsair H110 (aka the beast:D)

GPU: MSI Geforce GTX660TI OC (twin cooler design)

PSU: Corsair TX550M

SSD: 240 GB

HDD: 1 TB

Blu-Ray Combo

DVD Burner

everything is configured in the way it should be, nothin special, nothing weird ;-)

for the air in-/outflow i have 4x 140mm FANs

that should be it :-D

no further requirements - the setup is supposed to stay the way it is...

since im only playin cod4 in the last time, it'll do :lol

everything (yeah, exactly!) else will be designed by me - so i really dont mind, if its cubic or round, green or blue, from wood, steel or legos!

let me hear ur ideas :feedback

• 4 months later...

here we go!

i finally found the time to think about my plans - coming up with some (maybe unusual) ideas...

1. The new case will be a perfect cube - in my first drawings it is 40x40x40cm

2. I want to seperate the complete system into two parts: the ones that need a good cooling - and the ones that don't need it.

3. that will be done by building a wall in the middle.

4. The front will give home to 2 140mm fans for the left side (blowing in), and another 140mm fan on the right side (blowing in as well)

post-12807-0-07771000-1395835530_thumb.jpg

5. the top will hold the 280x140mm radiator of the LC cooling for my CPU (on the left side of course - blowing out)

post-12807-0-15956800-1395835532_thumb.jpg

6. the back will be big enough to take up another 140mm fan for the left side (blowing out) and another one for the right side (blowing out as well). - also, the intake for the PSU will be there (right side)

post-12807-0-27526300-1395835536_thumb.jpg

7. the right side will have to blow out the 140mm fan of the PSU

post-12807-0-20635100-1395835534_thumb.jpg

as you may see in these last two pictures, i treid to optimize all thw work - in order to recieve a good airflow - making the system more quiet - or more efficient!

post-12807-0-68388400-1395835538_thumb.jpgpost-12807-0-84104400-1395835712_thumb.jpg

i have no idea, if it is going to work - or at least has an effect on cooling - but in my mind, at least taking out the optical drives and harddrives should have a positive effect!

Edited by Jacker