HDD Vs. SSD

EmtHipple

SSD costs a lot more than HDD, but its smaller and and is a perfect fit for

a laptop because there no moving parts hence doesnt brake even when dropped.

There isnt many 500g+ SSD's but heres one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147190

Notice that its 350 e.

Edited by Sponkala

SSD. Always SSD.

I've been running on SSD's for 4 years now (X25-M first two, now 830), and it is so much better. I only use HDD's for heavy storage, although I try to avoid that as well these days.

Yes it is more expensive, but the wear down of SSD's isn't an issue anymore and speed is significantly faster. If you "up to" 250GB an SSD is a good choice, if you need a lot more you might consider swapping the optical drive for a regular hdd for storage and an SSD for OS and applications.

I currently have a 250gb hdd, does that translate to ssd at about the same speeds?

First check whether your current hdd is SATA, otherwise it'll be hard :P

In terms of speed you just won't understand what will hit you. Really.

if you need a lot more you might consider swapping the optical drive for a regular hdd for storage and an SSD for OS and applications.

Its a laptop so it would probably be pretty hard to fit hdd and ssd in there.

Its a laptop so it would probably be pretty hard to fit hdd and ssd in there.

Nope.

"Every" laptop has an optical drive and an hdd bay. And it's possible to buy an hdd caddy which you can put in the spot of the optical drive and put an hdd in it. And then on the spot of the hdd you can put the ssd.

I have done that and about 75% of the people at my university I know did the same.

• Like 1

SSD offers huge speed advantages, but cost significantly more. If storage isn't an issue, ie you don't keep a lot on the laptop, go SSD. If storage is an issue, get an external HDD and still go SSD lol.

• Like 1

I still do no reccomend running SSDs as long-term backup. Think of it like 1st generation plasmas and having long-time exposure of still images - burns into the plasma making it less-functionable.

SSDs are great for booting up Win OS and applications but not for storing valuable information.

May I sugest you get a 128GB SSD and a 500-1000GB HDD (5400 RPM if you have an older laptop, or, 7200RPM if you have a fairly new laptop).

128GB SSD - OCZ Vertex 4 ($130)

1TB HDD (5400RPM) - Samsung Spinpoint M8 ($80)

750GB HDD (7200RPM) - Western Digital Scorpio Black ($75)

P.S. With the HDD, you could get a 1-2TB external HDD if you want to use it as backup/storage.

Edited by Death_Reincarnated