FAA may finally let customers use laptops and tablets during takeoff and landing

sincity

FAA Tablet Laptop
In a move that will be welcome to all tech-savvy frequent fliers, the Federal Aviation Administration may finally loosen its rules on using electronic devices during flight takeoffs and landings. The New York Times reports that the FAA plans to allow fliers to use their laptops and tablets while set to "airplane mode" at during the takeoff and landing process by the end of the year. This doesn't give fliers carte blanche to keep all their devices on throughout the whole flight, however, since the FAA would keep its current rules in place for cellphones and smartphones. News of a potential rule change comes just over a year after the FAA promised to give revising its in-flight electronics rules "a fresh look." Outgoing Federal Communications Commission chairman Julius Genachowski late last year urged the FAA to step up their efforts to change the rules and said that the agency should "enable greater use of tablets, e-readers, and other portable devices” on flights.SUEtXO-BNLc

View the full article

I don´t get it, is it really so necessary to ruin your eyes during those 5 min to put all co- passangers in danger. There still exists paper books and newspapers you know;)

And where is the proof it puts anyone in danger to use electronics during a flight?

Nowhere. On the other hand, it is (not yet) shown that the frequency of the electronics do not influence the aircraft in any way. Better safe than sorry.

Nowhere. On the other hand, it is (not yet) shown that the frequency of the electronics do not influence the aircraft in any way. Better safe than sorry.

I vaguely remember doing something along those lines of testing on Mythbusters and could come to no conclusion that it did cause any harm.

I've not seen that episode (I've seen mythbusters for the last time about 4 years ago...). But it still holds that you cannot prove that every frequency does not influence it.

Now it can be shown better (e.g. mythbusters), but a full 100% certainty cannot be obtained. Apparently we're now close enough to 100% to take the risk, but for earlier years the better safe than sorry is something I still appreciate.

Used to have PC speakers which gave me a sign with sound that some1 was calling to me a few seconds earlier than the phone started to ring. If I were to sit near some communication line and the same effect hits the planes control mechanisms... never knows.