New phone (nope, my 3310 didn't die :p)

Jefke

Well, like the title said: I'm looking for a new phone.

Started to mess around with programming on Android (my tablets) so I thought it would be handy to get a smartphone too :P

=> Although I still like my 3310, the flashlight I had on my 1100 is really missing :(

I got some idea what I want, but thought I ask for your dude(ttes) opinion on phones.

I will be my first smartphone, but I got experiences with Android and instantly rooting it ^^

Stuff I need:

- 3G/WiFi (4g won't work properly in Belgium the next couple of years so it's  pointless, 3G barely works ^^)

- A light usable as flashlight

- ... That's all

(- latest android if there is no custom rom I can use)

Price range: 200-300 euro (so mid-range, not willing to put down full price)

Now the main point of my doubt is:

Going for an Android device I know or making the gamble and going for a Windows Phone 8.

Iphone is no option: too expensive and too restrictive for my liking.

Anyway, are there people using windows phone 8? And if so, what's your opinion about it?

ps. Google Nexus 4 isn't an option in Belgium ;)

Edited by DrJoske

For custom rom from xda the s2 is still the best option for nice price lots of developers on xda i got note atm but my s2 on 4.2.2 is feeling even better.

Its the no nonsense phone for ppl who want quality over looks . 

For custom rom from xda the s2 is still the best option for nice price lots of developers on xda i got note atm but my s2 on 4.2.2 is feeling even better.

Its the no nonsense phone for ppl who want quality over looks . 

Yeah, I was looking at the s2, it's still a bit out of budget though (lowest I can find it is 330 euro).

Still thinking of going for a windows phone though :P

Edited by DrJoske

Imho, go for the Windows Phone, but only if you use Windows mainly.

Obvious remarks: There isn't a large market share (yet), so the number of applications is quite low related to others, but all applications which you'd need (Whatsapp, Skype, etc) work close to perfect and the integration with Microsoft Account (formely known as Live account, before that know as hotmail) is flawless, Skydrive is truly awesome. Also it isn't reported as a native USB device (s.t. you can copy files easily), but there exists good drivers for that in Windows 8 (at least, didn't tested lower) Furthermore, there isn't a lot of choice in hardware and the real options with your budget are the Nokia 620 or HTC 8S.

And of course the best reason: There is no reason to root it. You buy it and it works. And it will be working. I really love it. And I know your opinion on the Metro Interface, on a phone it works really nice :) (although I also say that on the Windows 8, but there I see small flaws ;) )

My Lumia 800 had/has a single scratch on the display (keys I guess), my 820 still works perfect (only 2 months old) although it hit some bricks on its way already. It's not a 3310, but it will survive. The 620 is a bit cheaper, but I doubt that much worse.

Imho, go for the Windows Phone, but only if you use Windows mainly.

Obvious remarks: There isn't a large market share (yet), so the number of applications is quite low related to others, but all applications which you'd need (Whatsapp, Skype, etc) work close to perfect and the integration with Microsoft Account (formely known as Live account, before that know as hotmail) is flawless, Skydrive is truly awesome. Also it isn't reported as a native USB device (s.t. you can copy files easily), but there exists good drivers for that in Windows 8 (at least, didn't tested lower) Furthermore, there isn't a lot of choice in hardware and the real options with your budget are the Nokia 620 or HTC 8S.

And of course the best reason: There is no reason to root it. You buy it and it works. And it will be working. I really love it. And I know your opinion on the Metro Interface, on a phone it works really nice :) (although I also say that on the Windows 8, but there I see small flaws ;) )

My Lumia 800 had/has a single scratch on the display (keys I guess), my 820 still works perfect (only 2 months old) although it hit some bricks on its way already. It's not a 3310, but it will survive. The 620 is a bit cheaper, but I doubt that much worse.

Yeah, I know that the metro interface works on a touch device, that's the whole point of that interface

I don't have something against it, it just works like crap on mouse + keyboard :P (xbox controller is fine too though)

Now the next question about windows phone is, how do I get my own apps on my phone ^^

Maybe you have some experience with that (I read a bit about having to register your phone after writing the app => free access of Windows store for students)

Nope, I have no experience with that. You can get a WP dev account or something, and then you can link that to your phone to put your own applications on it. But even for students that wasn't free I believe.

An alternative is make the app 10000 euro and give yourself a free voucher to use it :P Heard it when WP7 was just released from a developer from MS, no idea if that still works though :P

Nope, I have no experience with that. You can get a WP dev account or something, and then you can link that to your phone to put your own applications on it. But even for students that wasn't free I believe.

An alternative is make the app 10000 euro and give yourself a free voucher to use it :P Heard it when WP7 was just released from a developer from MS, no idea if that still works though  :P

It told on dreamspark couple of months ago and still on the site (that wp dev account is normally 99 dollar btw ), if I have to pay to use my own apps it's an instant no go

then I will be on Android instantly again lol ^^

Nope, that doesn't work. You have to pay for the account to put apps on the store.

Edited by DrJoske

You always need a WP dev account for deployment indeed.

Makes it 99$ a year more expensive once you're student off. Android it is then probably? :) Personally I don't like Android, but if you're already familiar with it, it is not a bad choice. The Samsungs are quite nice generally, but the Sonys feel less cheap generally. HTC I would avoid. But considering your requirements, pretty much all phones should suffice.

Yeah, guess this one will be the galaxy s2 slightly over budget, but the best one of the lot (well apart from the nexus which you can't get in Belgium and it's not worth travelling to Germany ^^

Anyway, still will be following the windows phone to see if the market share grows (just like I'm curious about ubuntu for smartphones)

Www.marktplaats .nl most dutch dont care they sent to belgium at least i do i also bought stuff from your country :)

I'm living 6km from the border :P

I don't have any problems to get stuff in the Netherlands

It's not worth it this time because the galaxy s2 is around the same price

Google nexus 4 also isn't available in the Netherlands :(

Edited by DrJoske

K got the Samsung Galaxy s2 (the one with the exynos soc, first they tried to sell me the one with the Texas Instruments soc) from a friend's store, after the shop I was going to buy it from offered me the wrong one => no taxes for me :P

339euro -21% = 270 euro :P

Next thing to do: deciding which rom to run XD

I got the the same phone, but I have never used custom roms.

I just use something called GO Launcher EX which lets you use custom themes and stuff :P