Kid's computer

parrot

Needed to build my daughters a computer for school work...

Parts list:

Rayco ST mid tower (freebie from my brother)

No-name power supply included with case

Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 motherboard

AMD A-10 5800K APU

8gb g.skill ram at 1600mhz

Asus DVD burner

View sonic VX2450WM-LED monitor

Samsung 120gb 830 series SSD

post-8437-0-63688300-1357795231_thumb.jpg

post-8437-0-15759300-1357795317_thumb.jpgpost-8437-0-93581800-1357795880_thumb.jpgpost-8437-0-67315900-1357795954_thumb.jpgpost-8437-0-65381100-1357795993_thumb.jpg

I had to mount the SSD with two screws' (no adapter)

Also had to jury-rig the fan mounting. I used an old one from my desktop that was 160mm and the mounting holes were for a 120mm :/

Everything worked on the first try (better to be lucky...)

Honestly, I will never use a regular hard drive as my boot drive ever again. Nor will I subject anyone else to it. An SSD makes such a huge difference in virtually everything you do.

Hell I installed an SSD in my wifes 400 dollar laptop.

Using that psu: you are a brave man. Hopes it works out for ya

2/3 times I was forced to do that it ended in a fried pc (third one still going though)

About the SSD: same here 7/8 computers got an SSD (from which 4 only have a SSD)

The only computer not rigged with an ssd is a laptop. My own laptop got a SSD in the dvd drive slot ^^

Edited by DrJoske

I'm hoping to convince my wife to cough up 80 bucks or so for a decent PSU here in about a month. Makes me nervous too :/

Honestly, I will never use a regular hard drive as my boot drive ever again. Nor will I subject anyone else to it. An SSD makes such a huge difference in virtually everything you do.

Hell I installed an SSD in my wifes 400 dollar laptop.

I know, I have an SSD too. But if it was for my kid, I would keep the SSDs to myself :D

I think that was Extreme PSU at 450w. I was using the normal desktop 300w PSU with nvidia gt450 for about a year, never had burn out, though the coolling AC unit is directly aimed at the open case of the CPU.

But buying a new PSU is your call ofc.