General's Home-built rig :)

General

Hey guys I figured i'd share pictures and specifications of my desktop.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3

CPU: I5 2500K (Overclocked as low as 4GHz to as high as 4.9GHz, depends on what I want to do.)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i (Really nice :) )

RAM: 16GB G Skill 1333mhz ddr3

GPU: ASUS DC2 670 TOP

HDD win8 install: Seagate 7200RPM 1TB hdd

SSD win7: Crucial 256GB M4

PSU: Corsair AX750 (Modular - Great to work with)

Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Again, great, highly reccomended).

Monitor: 27" 1080P viewsonic 1ms response. Currently using two, but will return one to another PC If i get a 1440p monitor :)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD280 Pros

Mouse: Razer deathadder

Keyboard: Not worth mentioning..Some Dell. Would like to get a mechanical KB.

Next items to upgrade through the future:

1440p monitor

Faster RAM maybe?

Mech keyboard

2nd 670 if I get a 1440p monitor

Sound card.

Pics:

A look of how it is outside, running

ixJyU.jpg

Inside the Beast

z7rgF.jpg

XfNgD.jpg

QBqw3.jpg

LQ3bB.jpg

xZN95.jpg

KwTX7.jpg

izRj3.jpg

sMzJQ.jpg

Edited by General
  • Like 1

Nice rig

How old is it? Just wondering because of the i5 2500k.

I know it overclocks better than the ivy bridge 'version', so that could be the answer.

Anyway, another general question: why did you went for the 670 and not the 660 ti

(if pc older than 660ti that would solve the question again)

Because the increase of performance wasn't big enough to justify the cost in my opinion (I'm running 2x 660ti)

Sorry for the question, I always have question when I see a build.

EDIT: ow and mechanical keyboards are great.

I'm currently thinking of getting a second one just for when I'm doing a lot of typing work, the red switches in my corsair k60 are a bit over sensitive to do a lot of typing work on it. Still prefer them when gaming though or daily use, but for writing papers they can be a small pain in the ass ^^

I would go for a Ducky zero dk2108 or a das keyboard. Brown switches. It would set me back another 80+ euro, but it's better than buying a new dome keyboard every 3-4months (I break those really fast ^^)

EDIT 2: Faster ram would be only useful when you are planning to OC every single thing in your pc (talking about 2000mHz ram in that case), but considering you already have you CPU at 4- 4.9 stable I wouldn't even bother :P

Edited by DrJoske

Well I got a number of parts Christmas 2011..bought a few parts over the summer myself...got the rest this Christmas. When I got my 670 the 660ti wasnt out and the 670 somewhat beat the 7950. Unfortunately that's not true anymore. Also, Sandy bridge does not really oc that much better. Ivy bridge easily reaches 4.5ghz on almost every chip. Ivy 4.5ghz =/= Sandy 4.8ghz. Also Ivy was barely not out and getting misreported bad reviews when I got my 2500k. Faster ram will help my 3dmark11 score by a bit. My highest is like 9400 or something. Also, my gpu is overclocked to 1215mhz core, 3251?mhz memory. Also when the 660ti released, it sounded pretty weak and some reviews still say such. 670 just sounds better to me anyway :) about mechanic keyboards I know little. I don't mind the questions.

Well I got a number of parts Christmas 2011..bought a few parts over the summer myself...got the rest this Christmas. When I got my 670 the 660ti wasnt out and the 670 somewhat beat the 7950. Unfortunately that's not true anymore. Also, Sandy bridge does not really oc that much better. Ivy bridge easily reaches 4.5ghz on almost every chip. Ivy 4.5ghz =/= Sandy 4.8ghz. Also Ivy was barely not out and getting misreported bad reviews when I got my 2500k. Faster ram will help my 3dmark11 score by a bit. My highest is like 9400 or something. Also, my gpu is overclocked to 1215mhz core, 3251?mhz memory. Also when the 660ti released, it sounded pretty weak and some reviews still say such. 670 just sounds better to me anyway :) about mechanic keyboards I know little. I don't mind the questions.

Lol benchmark scores :P GL with those. Having a nice epeen is always great I guess. I should run one on my rig, but can't be bothered :P

-Ivy Bridge IS a worse oc'er than Sandby Bridge for the simple reason that Intel used Thermal Grease under the IHS instead of Solder (well, you could remove it and apply better Thermal Grease, but GL with that ^^). It could be that it's not longer the case, but it sure was at release.

- Reviews I read stated that the 660ti was a bigger bang-for-the-buck and I totally agree with them ^^. Running them in sli, although the 670 in SLI would outperform them it's not worth the extra cost. Hell for 2x 670 I almost can go 3-way sli on my 660ti (4-way not possible, but that doesn't scale well anyway :P)

Anyway, ty for answering my question and have fun with your beast rig ^^

Nice Rig General ... much better than the stuff we talked about you doing a year and a half ago :thumbsup

Should serve you well for several years ... that is, as long as you can resist the temptation of upgrade-E-peen-is :yeye

it's a horrible disease to catch, as it tends to be expensive and doesn't go away with out an intervention. :notalk

:D