Doc's 2012 Deer Season

docwarren

I was the only one out of 7 of us to get anything. Although my cousin passed on a 6 pointer and shot a coyote that was chasing it instead. Passed on several doe on the last day we were out. We have never used a feeder, but based on the next ridge over from our farm getting lots of kills, we just may have to, to repopulate our farm. Either that, or blue tongue has been killing them off more than what the gov't is letting on.

Next ridge over, a guy took his 12 year old out on his first season. Kid got a 12 point on the first day. Don't know who was more excited... the kid or the dad. Got about 3 more years before my son will be ready to go out with us.

Gotta teach these kids that the meat doesn't come just wrapped in plastic. And teach them that hunting/trapping is not "a sport". It is a survival skill.

Nice turkeys in the pics, btw. Wish I could hunt every season, but city life is killing me. :)

• 1 month later...

Well Doc my season is winding down here. In GA it ended on the 15th of this month and in AL it will end on the 31st. I saw a lot of deer this season, but only shot one. I try to shoot stuff to go on the wall more so than for the meat. Don't worry, the meat is always eaten and I don't kill just anything. Anyway I shot a unique five pointer this year on November 24th in Georgia. I had a European mount done on him. Here are the pictures starting with a vidoe I go of him - http://s866.photobuc... point Pictures

Now I'll focus more on Pigs for the next couple months while it is still cold to see if I can put one in the freezer. These I hunt for no other reason than to eat.

If you look closely, there is a guy down by the telephone pole. This is the range, roughly, on the buck kill.

15ewb5v.jpg

Coyote charged my cousin. Strange thing.... usually you can turn them away from you, but this one continued charging. He missed first shot, 2nd shot pierced it's ear. He finally hit it's hind quarter about 20 yards away, but it didn't kill it. He just walked away from it he was so pissed and it still was crawling after him. By the time I went to finish him off, he was dead. And Alex...... it's open season on coyotes here because they run amok. Plus.... have you ever seen a coyote eat something alive? Not pretty.

7315bk.jpg

From L-R.... Brothers Brent, Brad, Me and cousin Dan. Brother Bruce was missing this day.

eg9br.jpg

Me skinning & cutting them up. Buried the buck's head in my mom's garden (she LOVED that). Will dig it up next year and do a European mount (like Snake's).

xemu02.jpg

I have a pic my brother took of me taking a dump in the woods while the other brothers threw rocks at me. But will save that one for myself.

Me and my pal were out Squirrel hunting with 12 gauges with birdshot (Because we have a lot of neighbors) and we were waiting one in a tree out, when I look over and not 20 feet away a Coyote is sneaking up on us, BAD IDEA, me and my friend both had 4 rounds and plenty of arm strength we figure we put 7 out of the 8 shells into him. :D he still led us on a mile long blood trail. :/ His dad said when he heard it from their house, he thought it was Vietnam again! XD