Replacing shocks and struts.

Krayzie

Has anyone ever done it? Have a 2003 Chevy Malibu with shocks and struts on it that are original. The car has about 150k miles on it. I've been thinking about doing it myself and found the parts for 450 or so. But I've never done shocks before. Is it very hard? Does anyone know roughly how much to get a shop to do it?

It seems pretty straight forward to me. But I've never done it so I was curious. Is there aany special tools needed? Like one to compress the coils? I haven't watched the video yet because I have horrible reception at work.

Edited by Krayzie

yes. there are two types of coil spring compressors you can use

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-MacPherson-strut-spring-compressor/_/N-26gi?itemIdentifier=70135&_requestid=1507827

goes outside the spring (for struts that go thru the spring)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Coil-spring-compressor/_/N-264t?itemIdentifier=555573_0_0_

goes inside the spring (for mostly rear wheel drive vehicles that have control arms)

i would look into replacing the springs too. Monroe makes a "Quick Strut" that includes the spring and plate.

I think this is the part you need:

http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPart/monroePartSearchFromECatalog.do?partKey=506609&partNumber=171672&catalogKey=443&methodName=initialiseMonroe&catalogCode=monroe&locale=EN&loadStatus=ACTIVE

Make sure you get an alignment afterwards.

The parts I'm getting will be the complete setup. Figured might as well replace it all while I'm at it. From the couple videos I watched on YouTube, the only tool I will need to buy will probably be a torque wrench.

since you are getting the strut with the spring and plate on it, you do not need the coil spring compressor tools then.

be glad that you dont live in a state that has snow. you would end up using a torch on some stuff.

find out where your sway bar links are attached. you might have to cut/burn them off of the strut, unless they are attached to the control arm. it's another "while i'm in here" things. sway bar bushings and ball joints are some others to take a look at.

On the Malibu it's pretty straight forward (at least from the videos I've seen). You just remove the 3 bolts behind the rotor, and the 3 bolts up top under the hood, and it comes out, doesn't have anything connected to it (luckily). The fun part is going to be replacing the window washer pump that went out a while back.