Snowboarding

ajnl

Hey, I started snowboarding around February, first time. Really enjoyed it so, I got a year pass to the indoor snowboarding place in Den Haag, Netherlands.

Anyways, I had a few questions for anyone here who snowboards.

1. How do you stick the landing after going off a jump? I've started getting bored of just snowboarding around and would like to start doing jumps.

2. Is it good to practice going down with left and right foot forward? I feel more comfortable with left foot forward, so that is what I've been doing. Just wondering if it is good to practice with the other foot forward.

3. For anyone who lives in the Netherlands, what are some good sites/stores to buy a snowboard?

4. In general, is it ok to buy a used snowboard?

Hey, I started snowboarding around February, first time. Really enjoyed it so, I got a year pass to the indoor snowboarding place in Den Haag, Netherlands.

Anyways, I had a few questions for anyone here who snowboards.

1. How do you stick the landing after going off a jump? I've started getting bored of just snowboarding around and would like to start doing jumps.

2. Is it good to practice going down with left and right foot forward? I feel more comfortable with left foot forward, so that is what I've been doing. Just wondering if it is good to practice with the other foot forward.

3. For anyone who lives in the Netherlands, what are some good sites/stores to buy a snowboard?

4. In general, is it ok to buy a used snowboard?

1. I've heard it called a few different terms over here in the US, but generally it goes like this 1. Stay relaxed as you go off the lip (This is really important, and where alot of new riders screw up the first few times) 2. Spot your landing 3. Extend your legs and "stomp" your landing is the best way to stick it. Also, start small and work your way up. Try practicing ollies off small moguls and then progress to medium size tabletops. Work your way out until you are clearing the hip and landing on the downslope. Nothing sucks worse than landing on the hip and getting bounced down the rest of the jump. I've seen a few people lose teeth b/c their knees cracked them in the chin this way.

2. Get comfortable riding with your dominant foot forward at first. In this case your regular footed (left foot forward, goofy footed is right foot forward). Riding switch (the less dominant foot forward) takes some time to get down, but is a necessary part landing spins. When you land your first backside 180, you'll understand what I mean almost immediatley.

3. Sorry, can't help here

4. Really depends on the board. Just make sure the Ptex, edges and topsheet are in good shape. Look for any gouges on the sidewalls and check the flex to make sure it doesn't feel like a wet noodle. If it looks like the topsheet or the sidewalls have been repaired, don't buy it. Also check the entire length of the edge for any damnaged or repaired spots. This is a potential source for water to enter in between the layers of the board and can lead to the board being delaminated.

If you live someplace there are alot of good riders, you can usually find boards in decent shape for cheap. Often times they get several boards at the beginning of the season and/or get boards for testing. They'll sell them for cheap and you end up with a really nice ride.